Interstellar (2014)

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I actually liked how mundane the worlds they visited were. That's pretty much all that's out there gents. We'd be lucky to find habitable planets half as nice as this, and they're still interesting in their own right.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
We don't know what's out there. There are roughly 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. If even 1 in 1,000,000 solar systems can support complex organisms, that's a lot of life.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So you are saying that there's a 999,999 out of 1,000,000 chance that the wormhole was going to take them someplace shitty. ie a solar system who's sun has went massive blackhole and the planets in orbit around them are all terrible choices.

Looks like the film was spot on then.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So you are saying that there's a 999,999 out of 1,000,000 chance that the wormhole was going to take them someplace shitty. ie a solar system who's sun has went massive blackhole and the planets in orbit around them are all terrible choices.

Looks like the film was spot on then.
Considering the worm hole was, presumably, placed there by us itcouldhave taken them to much, much nicer locales. I guess our future selves had their humor level set to 100%.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
You're either a young kid, or you're legally retarded. Or both.
Actually, I think this movie appeals to the 35-49 crowd specifically, as it has everything we grew up loving: Cosmos, NASA, Physics, and Space Exploration. I feel exactly like Troll. This movie was made for me, going through high school in the late 80s. It hit all the chords of things I loved back then.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I just rewatch Gravity just to see the visual differences, and while Gravity does look amazing i cannot agree its visuals surpass Interstellar by any means.

I mean,..its essentially just space ><

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Actually, I think this movie appeals to the 35-49 crowd specifically, as it has everything we grew up loving: Cosmos, NASA, Physics, and Space Exploration. I feel exactly like Troll. This movie was made for me, going through high school in the late 80s. It hit all the chords of things I loved back then.
Except this has nothing to do with any of those things. It has to do with the movie itself. Terrible script, overacted, and filled with Hollywood cliches. To say it's your favorite movie of all time is down right god damn pathetic. I can name over 200 movies that have come out in the last 5 years alone that were better than this overhyped garbage. Hell, "Gravity" was better than this movie, and that movie was pretty awful.

Juvarisx

Florida
where does "eyes wide shut" fall in people's all time christmas list? the orgy at the mansion has to at least put in on the ranking.
The belief that Tom Cruise hasn't made a good movie in 20 years is one of the worst film opinions I've ever heard.

Minority Report, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Mission Impossible 3 and 4, Collateral are all great. Even his crappier action movies are entertaining.
all those movies you just mentioned sucked.
If you are going to hate on everything at least be consistent. You are the Dumar of the movie threads, and the trolling is getting old, if you "hated" this movie just move on.

khorum

Murder Apologist
We don't know what's out there. There are roughly 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe. If even 1 in 1,000,000 solar systems can support complex organisms, that's a lot of life.
Yeah the Fermi Paradox has kinda been demoted to suggest that our capacity to understand space-faring civilizations beyond Kardashev Type2 or higher is probably insufficient. Fermi and Drake imagined chemical contrails of spaceships then Dyson and Karadashev looked for megastructures (Dyson swarms/spheres) but it comes back to anthropomorphizing what we think these civilizations would do with their resources.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If you are going to hate on everything at least be consistent. You are the Dumar of the movie threads, and the trolling is getting old, if you "hated" this movie just move on.
It's not my fault you have shit taste in movies. There's a huge difference in saying you enjoyed a film, and using the term "great," or saying it's the best movie you've ever seen. Great, in my opinion, should be reserved for truly remarkable movies like The King's Speech, or Dallas Buyer's Club, just to name a few.

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's not my fault you have shit taste in movies. There's a huge difference in saying you enjoyed a film, and using the term "great," or saying it's the best movie you've ever seen. Great, in my opinion, should be reserved for truly remarkable movies like The King's Speech, or Dallas Buyer's Club, just to name a few.
Lawlerskates

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Dallas Buyers Club fuck sucked. You're taste in movies are shit. I'd rather use uncorrect verbs and tenses for the rest of my life than spend seven second in you're brain.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I think you're onto something here. I'm in my mid 30's and am constantly amazed at the fact that we went to the fucking moon 45 years ago and never went back! When I talk to this to younger folks they just don't give a shit. Sure, they think stuff like the Mars rover's Sky Crane is neat technology, but this sense of exploration just is ... gone? I don't get it.

Saw this yesterday and really liked it. It wasn't perfect, but pretty damn good, and worth the cinema ticket and overpriced burned pop-corn. The visuals were stunning, the acting great and the music awesome. However, hers is what mainly detract it for me: I think he had far too much going on, even for a 3 hour pic. At first I thought "I bet they wrote this script form a book and trying to cram in as much as they can. I'd love to read that book." But as the movie progressed some of the plot elements started to become undone. That said, I'm not sure how this film could have been written any different. At the very end I said to my friend: "This film is much better if you try not to think too hard about the plot loopholes."

More info in the spoiler:

Time paradoxes are always trouble. So if I got it right, the wormhole aliens were actually humans from the future. But, none of the worlds they linked to were inhabitable, but it was all a trick to get us near a black hole to observe some shit, teleport back in time, throw some books on the floor and mess with a watch in order to get some other figures right that allowed us to build some huge ass closed cylindrical world to live in? As I say, the film is far better if you just sit back and enjoy the ride and try not to think about this whole chicken-egg thing too much.

I did think at first Anne Hathaway's character would be a grown up version of young Merph since the young actress resembled her so much, but whatever.

I understand the need for having an Earth bound catastrophe to force the Human race to reach for the stars as a survival mechanism, but I still feel like they had two stories going in one film here, one being the blight and the other being the space story. Might have worked better as a two parter, one focusing on the blight and the sequel on the space thing.

The time travel shit was almost as freaky as the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and was probably meant to be some sort of homage. It looked awesome, but made no fucking sense.

The robots - Their humour and roll in the film were awesome, but the model? A big box? I don't know. The interrogation scene where the first robot tries to play a tough guy, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. But hey, at least it wasn't a C3PO. I guess I should give him credit for trying something new.

Matt Damon's betrayal I saw coming a fucking mile away. I think they could have done that more subtly, but that might have drawn out the film even more.

But in spite of all above, I don't regret seeing it. Was worth it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I think you're onto something here. I'm in my mid 30's and am constantly amazed at the fact that we went to the fucking moon 45 years ago and never went back! When I talk to this to younger folks they just don't give a shit. Sure, they think stuff like the Mars rover's Sky Crane is neat technology, but this sense of exploration just is ... gone? I don't get it.

Saw this yesterday and really liked it. It wasn't perfect, but pretty damn good, and worth the cinema ticket and overpriced burned pop-corn. The visuals were stunning, the acting great and the music awesome. However, hers is what mainly detract it for me: I think he had far too much going on, even for a 3 hour pic. At first I thought "I bet they wrote this script form a book and trying to cram in as much as they can. I'd love to read that book." But as the movie progressed some of the plot elements started to become undone. That said, I'm not sure how this film could have been written any different. At the very end I said to my friend: "This film is much better if you try not to think too hard about the plot loopholes."
I loved the movie but it skimps on an obvious fact: we're privatizing space exploration to such a degree that it's becoming more and more challenging to anticipate the outcomes. Fact is, those American flag mission patches should be Google, SpaceX and Alibaba branding stickers.

Juvarisx

Florida
Yes because people on what was a MMO message board like a hard sci-fi movie MORE then fucking Oscar bait, they have shit taste in movies. Those two were shit movies saved by whaat was obviously Oscar winning acting, there is nothing remarkable about them, The Godfather they are not which IS a remarkable film. Give me a movie like Interstellar where it appeals to my fucking interest in a well paced, well acted, enjoyable 3 hours over the stuttering of King George the 6th or AIDS (i was over seeing films about that with Philadelphia tyvm). Was it perfect? nope but its probably the best sci-fi movie to come out in a long ass time, which is all I wanted.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I really, really, really wanted to like this movie, but it suffered from the same issues as his last 3 or 4 movies. I don't wanna spoil anything, so I'll just talk about Nolan as a filmmaker.

My problem with Nolan is that he doesn't know what he wants his movies to be. He'll present this cold, clinical aesthetic and then shoehorn in some jarring saccharine moment that undermines the tone of the whole movie. His latest works are hodgepodges of Kubrick's measured direction and Spielberg's sentimentality, and he doesn't fully succeed at either approach. He just doesn't know how to convey the human condition.

I think a lot of the backlash against his movies is partially a reaction to his fans who seem to have an unwavering devotion to the guy. His "blockbuster" movies have invited all sorts of pseudointellectual bull**** and if you criticize his movies for their ham-fisted exposition and robotic, emotional husks who masquerade as human beings, people will just say "You just don't get it, man." It's a shame there's so much controversy surrounding Nolan because it's clear he crafts his movies with a lot of love and care. People just want him to make the best movies he possibly can.

I favor his small-scale movies because greater attention was given to character development and tone. His biggest flaw (in my opinion) is that he focuses so much on spectacle in these big blockbuster movies that he outright ignores any real attempt to create emotional resonance or he fails to temper those elements, ending up with off-putting melodrama.
Are you this bluegreenmisery person or are you just straight plagiarizing someone's movie review from another board?

TheB9.com - B9board View topic - Interstellar