Interstellar (2014)

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Whomever was comparing the effects of this movie to Gravity and found it lacking needs their heads checked.
Curious what everyone else thinks about this? I really am not trying to knock the effects of this movie. They were great. I just enjoyed that aspect of Gravity more, but perhaps that was because that was almost completely what that movie was going for.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, I did actually enjoy the effects of gravity a million times more, but that's ALL gravity had going for it... Seeing it in 3d helped... and they always seemed to have little bits of floaty shit going on in random spots away from the focus of the camera to remind you of the fact that you're "in space"... Filming Interstellar without the rotation induced gravity would have been more difficult for the effects/director (he used no green screen? awesome) But would have made it feel more "spacey"

spronk

FPS noob
Curious what everyone else thinks about this? I really am not trying to knock the effects of this movie. They were great. I just enjoyed that aspect of Gravity more, but perhaps that was because that was almost completely what that movie was going for.
I really enjoyed Gravity and felt it was more "immersive".

My problem with Interstellar was that the "man reaching for the stars" bit felt very weak. The saturn shots were absolutely gorgeous and inspiring. The wormhole stuff was weak as fuck, it looked like something out of Stargate/Farscape and should have been done better - I don't know what, but thats your fucking job Nolan not mine.

The new planets and black hole star were shitty as fuck. I have seen better visuals in Through the Wormhole and The Universe. They are in a new fucking galaxy, I think an ex-binary star system (now one) with a black hole center and at least 12 habitable planets within 3 AUs? I never once got the sense of grandeur of that. The planets were boring, it was Waterworld and Hoth. Ok the frozen clouds were cool but thats pretty much it. The time dilation was cool but I think it could have been done better, like not really understanding thats whats happening and finding the dying body of the previous explorer, realizing its been under an hour since she landed and its been 10 years for them and frantically trying to get out of the slow time zone.

The Matt Damon bits were retarded, that was Sunshine all over again and that entire 45 minutes should have been cut. The movie has enough shit going on, don't need to bring in the "good man goes crazy" bit to drag down the story.

Wished there were more bits that were extraordinary and mind blowing in the planet exploration. A moon orbiting a gas giant that can support life, instead of the Star Trek version of "water planet, fire planet, ice planet, rock planet". Gas giants that have visible life forms that are inimical to us. Vast alien artificial structures that are empty - ringworlds, dyson spheres, asteroid habitats, etc. Artificial life thriving on the edges of black holes, using them as computational engines.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Gravitywasa bit more immersive, but only because that's all it was trying to be. It was 90% action, 10% story. Interstellar probably 30% action, 70% story. Gravity was more like a space roller coaster that drops you straight into chaos, and Interstellar one of those slow moving attractions that builds tension as you move along.

Though I think it might of had a little too much downtime between those really interesting moments. And not just the action sequences, but major changes in the course of the plot. In most of Nolan's movies these moments are pretty constant, and are driven by the use of music or sound that connects one scene to the next. Interstellar did have a bit of that going on, but it also had quite a few moments (not of space shots) where not a lot was happening, and it was just kind of sitting around. Other than that, not a ton I can complain about.

Still not sure what to think about the black hole scene. I think I would have preferred something different. A wormhole to another universe perhaps?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw it in the theater and enjoyed it. Had some mid section pieces I could've done without but they didn't drag the movie down as a whole.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was thinking more of the quality of the effects rather then the quantity. Gravity felt quite a bit one or two steps more unrealistic for me including the landing back to earth. As for visual orgasms, the scenes right before they enter the black hole and the process of entering it was where interstellar basically won imo. The wormhole scene was also great. Even though such a spacecraft doesn't exist the landing into the ice planet seemed very difficult to distinguish to something realistic verses gravity's more obvious cg feeling during it's landing.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was amused when they popped open a Matt Damon and im like....oh hes in this? then he turns out to be a bitch!
HAHA exactly how I felt.

Also, I loved the movie for the first half, and was expecting it to be ruined in the second half, and was not let down, they botched the 2nd half.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I liked it.

The water planet: In order for 1 hour to equal 7 years, the planet had to have been orbiting around the black hole at around 99.999962% the speed of light or something crazy for that much time dilation to occur(gravity doesn't cause time dilation). If you want to get even more real, the planet would not have existed that close to the black hole. Even if it did, all 3 scientists on board should have went, "Yeah, too many xrays radiating from the black hole, that planet isn't supporting any life as we know it."

As for Mann's planet, you should probably know by the distance from the star/gargantua that it's probably goddamn cold, and Edmund's planet(which Brand was on at the end), looked arid and hot, but at least you know it's getting enough sun for photosynthesis for future crops. Brand's speech about love possibly being a quantifiable force probably hurt her; the data showed Edmunds planet was the better candidate. If she had stuck to the data and gave actual scientific explanations, Romilly might have voted her way to go there first.

Future humans, love as a quantifiable force, and Murphy's law: These 3 aren't really tied into the movie together well, but help to cover up the holes. Love as a force interacts with future humans from a different reality: Having broken into the 5th dimension and mastering both time and gravity, future humans from another reality can cross time and other alternate realities. Their "love" for themselves as a species makes them become a caretaker of humanity in other realities, creating opportunities for salvation in alternate universes where humanity dies out. They make the wormhole and create a paradox in the movie's reality that allows humans in that reality to continue living by ensuring both Plan A and Plan B succeed. The paradox can occur since they are tampering from the outside. Also, their mastery of gravity allows them to protect both Cooper and TARS as they pass through the event horizon of Gargantua(despite what Romilly says about it being a "gentle black hole" or whatever), since their survival is necessary to relay information back to Murph(information they cannot themselves pass on because they don't completely understand us at our simple 3 dimensional level, and thus make Cooper send himself the coordinates to NASA via gravity in Murph's room, and also using his relationship with Murph for him to realize that he can use Morse code with the watch to tell her how to solve the equation to gravity manipulation).

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Did not like this at all. Which is too bad considering it was one of the movies I was most looking forward to in 2014.

I was really hoping this would be good, hard science fiction but it's anything but.

First of all, why the fuck would they even entertain the idea of inhabiting a planet that's near a black hole? And where is the parent star to these planets? Being swallowed up by the black hole? That pretty much invalidates that entire solar system for habitability. Also McConaughey mentioned something about a neutron star at some point. What was that about? Good job you picked probably the worst fucking area for a new home. But more likely the writers have no god damned clue and picked random words from an astronomy textbook.

Also, the whole "1 hour on the surface means 7 years on Earth" was bullshit. The only way that would be possible is if that planet was within the event horizon of the black hole. Gravity outside of that point would have no significant effect on your reference frame. And if the planet WAS inside the event horizon it would have been ripped to shreds.

Personally, I'd recommend waiting for BluRay and/or just watch 2001, 2010, or Contact instead (assuming my complaints resonate with you).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The thing alot of people forget is 90% of the people who see movies like this dont know the science behind it or even care, they are solely looking to be entertained. If youre sole critique is based on the science and it being impossible then youre likely the % of people they will just try their luck with.

It was a great movie, but was the science behind it 100%? nope - and dont really care - you cant get emotionally attached to science in a film.

Also Contact was/is a great flick - think ive seen that atleast 5 times - if they were to ever redo it with same story line and events with new effects id be all for it. I cant say which of the 2 i like more since i thoroughly enjoyed both but they are both excellent watches.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
i'd give it an 8/10, but only because i've read the original script written by his brother
I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but everything I've heard suggests that the more this movie differs from that script, the worse it gets. True/False?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who actually goes to movies and all they can think about is "That's not possible". It's Science-fiction for a reason. Talk about needing to remove a stick.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Saw this with my wife today. I liked it. I thought the science was solid enough. Although I had figured out who set up the wormhole early on...

My wife had multiple crying spells in it. I ended up with butter hands because someone used my popcorn napkins.

spronk

FPS noob
Who actually goes to movies and all they can think about is "That's not possible". It's Science-fiction for a reason. Talk about needing to remove a stick.
i have no problems with a movie setting up a "unscientific" premise and sticking with it. For all of Prometheus' fault, I enjoyed the core of the movie - just didn't like the idea of the worlds best scientists turning out to be scooby doo retards. I loved Contact, Gravity, 2001, Tron 2, Europa Report, Primer, etc.

This movie however wasn't really scifi at all. It used scifi as a backdrop, but every time any part of science came up it veered suddenly into "ITS LOVE" or "I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE". the emotional manipulations were so ham fisted I just kept rolling my eyes during the bizarre long speeches, especially by Michael Caine or mathew McConaughey.

My wife doesn't really watch any scifi and she said the movie was decent, but likewise she cried a lot and felt a lot of emotion over the separation scenes. If I had to make a guess, I think anyone who has grown up watching a lot of scifi shows (TNG BSG farscape stargate etc) didn't like this movie as much as people who generally don't watch much scifi. Heck I can think of a few episodes of TNG, Stargate or Farscape that had very similar plot elements but carried out far better.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I posted this on another forum but it's basically the differences between the original script written by Jonathan Nolan and the film which was an adaptation of the original script by Christopher Nolan:

The Ghost story does not exist in the script. In the script the thing that makes the drone crash and makes the combine harvester's act up in the beginning of the film is a small metallic orb machine thing that crashes to earth from a black hole that is newly discovered near Saturn (had not been hanging out there for 50 years or anything). In the process of chasing down the drone they discover the orb. Cooper tries to pull the data off of it but can't make much sense of it, and leaves it in his barn. yada yada the orb is what leads them to finding the hidden Nasa base. Later on when they are going through the blackhole thing/exiting spacetime as we know it they discover this device which controls gravity (the thing that michael caine's character was "trying" to figure out the entire film). Also there is no plan A plan B thing in the script btw. They realize this device can save earth and i'm just going to assume is Matt Damon's character (or could of been any of the others, there were only the handful of humans that went on the trip) and Cooper decide to take it back to earth, and they program the device with all the information they've gathered about singularities/blackholes/gravity/etc, give it the coordinates to nasa on earth, and then start to fly off to take it back to earth. Then cooper remembers this thing falling out of the sky and realizes that they don't survive the trip back, only the device does, because it can control gravity and survive the trip. He bails, and matt damon's dude and his ship and everything else dies. The device makes it though, and sets off the chain of events that make the events of the film happen. It's not cooper's daughter that unlocks the mystery of the device and saves mankind, it's like his grandson or great grandson or something. Earth has a slightly longer time table than presented in the film.

Cooper isn't an astronaut, he's just a pilot and engineer. He doesn't know anyone at nasa and I forget now, but somehow he talks his way onto the mission.

The robots (tardis, etc) are more like ironmen drones than weird rectangle things. They were the only things sent through the wormhole initially, that whole 12 scientists sent to 12 solar systems through this 1 wormhole thing didn't happen. In fact there is only 1 planet on the other side of the wormhole, and it is orbiting a super massive black hole and about to be ripped a part. That planet doesn't have waves, it's actually the ice planet matt damon was chilling on from the film. However, unlike in the film, the ice was just cloud layers, and underneath the ice there was an actual surface that had this weird fractal hivemind lifeform living on it.

The robots sent through that made it there were Chinese military robots. They were sent to find a habitable world and set up a base camp, and figure out a way to save the human race. but after they were sent the "war" broke out and the starvation/famine hit earth/etc/etc and china, like the united states, no longer exists as powers/countries.

The surprise conflict in act 2 which in the film is matt damon going crazy, is in the script, Tardis (or actually, one of the chinese drones disguised as tardis) going crazy. Which leads to them going through the black hole which leads to them exiting reality/spacetime as we know it, discovering the rest of the chinese robots who cus of #relativity have been working on a way to save mankind (as they were programmed to do) for like 50k earth years, and they were the ones that created the gravity device.

There actually were interdimensional extra planar beings that could only interact with our universe via gravity. They saw the life on that ice planet was about to die and they created the wormhole so that man could travel there and save that life form from extinction, not the other way around #dundundun.

Cooper had collected some of the fractal creatures and after the whole ordeal with black holes and extra space/time travel he eventually makes his way via spaceship back to earth. But it's several hundred years later, He arrives and there is no life on it whatsoever, completely barren frozen wasteland. He assumes all humanity is lost and sits down and prepares to die as massive frozen winds are about to tear him/his spaceship etc apart when he drops the vials of the fractal creatures which immediately begin to thrive in the frozen wastes of earth, and he is saved by another spaceship from "Cooper" station.

He meets with his grandson/great grandson whatever it was who is super old and stuff much like it was his daughter in the film. He does go off and look for brand, who had decided to explore the cosmos or some shit through the place outside of existence that has nothing but wormholes to every where or some such shit. The film reason for her continuing on (that cooper sacrifices himself so she can finish the mission, and she does go to colonize that planet) was better than the script in this instance.

and the TLDR:
Planet earth was going to become completely uninhabitable by human beings. Humans, through a newly discovered wormhole to another galaxy were trying to find a way to save the human race, but the planet they found was in no way shape or form a new "home" for humans. That planet was also doomed, and would die far sooner than earth would. The worm hole was created by extraplanar beings who were trying to save the life on that doomed world (and in the process of doing so, gave mankind the means to save themselves as well). Rusty inadvertently accomplishes this via transplanting some of the species from the doomed world to earth, which the conditions of it by the time he arrived were perfect for them. He only went back to "keep his promise" that he made to his (son in the script) daughter in the film. He is under the impression that the mission has failed, and is prepared to die until he is rescued from earth and taken to a space station.

In the process of mankind's efforts to not die, they were able to send robots through the black hole through the other side of the wormhole and those robots were able to eventually (given that they now have unlimited time in comparison to earth) make a machine which can harness the power of gravity. Rusty also inadvertently sends this device back to earth and his descendents on earth eventually figure out how to operate it and save the human race.

So most of the complaints, the love is physics, lets pick and choose which planet thing, nah none of that was in there. It was 1 shot through a wormhole to save mankind, and what they found on the other side wasn't it. But by being so close to the blackhole and able to study it, the robots eventually figured out a way to survive traveling through the black hole, and on the other side of it they found themselves outside of spacetime and had the one resource they needed to figure out how to save humanity, which was time. unlimited time to work out how to harness and control gravity.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
i have no problems with a movie setting up a "unscientific" premise and sticking with it. For all of Prometheus' fault, I enjoyed the core of the movie - just didn't like the idea of the worlds best scientists turning out to be scooby doo retards. I loved Contact, Gravity, 2001, Tron 2, Europa Report, Primer, etc.

This movie however wasn't really scifi at all. It used scifi as a backdrop, but every time any part of science came up it veered suddenly into "ITS LOVE" or "I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE". the emotional manipulations were so ham fisted I just kept rolling my eyes during the bizarre long speeches, especially by Michael Caine or mathew McConaughey.

My wife doesn't really watch any scifi and she said the movie was decent, but likewise she cried a lot and felt a lot of emotion over the separation scenes. If I had to make a guess, I think anyone who has grown up watching a lot of scifi shows (TNG BSG farscape stargate etc) didn't like this movie as much as people who generally don't watch much scifi. Heck I can think of a few episodes of TNG, Stargate or Farscape that had very similar plot elements but carried out far better.
No it didnt, it went that love shit once with Anne's scene. Also it sounds like you were 100% detached from the emotional perspective of the film. Everyone had a reason to be on the ship, and they were years away from their family and friends. If you didnt even choke up a bit when his daughter was sending him transmissions then you were already off on another planet up upset at the movie for god knows what.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I posted this on another forum but it's basically the differences between the original script written by Jonathan Nolan and the film which was an adaptation of the original script by Christopher Nolan:

The Ghost story does not exist in the script. In the script the thing that makes the drone crash and makes the combine harvester's act up in the beginning of the film is a small metallic orb machine thing that crashes to earth from a black hole that is newly discovered near Saturn (had not been hanging out there for 50 years or anything). In the process of chasing down the drone they discover the orb. Cooper tries to pull the data off of it but can't make much sense of it, and leaves it in his barn. yada yada the orb is what leads them to finding the hidden Nasa base. Later on when they are going through the blackhole thing/exiting spacetime as we know it they discover this device which controls gravity (the thing that michael caine's character was "trying" to figure out the entire film). Also there is no plan A plan B thing in the script btw. They realize this device can save earth and i'm just going to assume is Matt Damon's character (or could of been any of the others, there were only the handful of humans that went on the trip) and Cooper decide to take it back to earth, and they program the device with all the information they've gathered about singularities/blackholes/gravity/etc, give it the coordinates to nasa on earth, and then start to fly off to take it back to earth. Then cooper remembers this thing falling out of the sky and realizes that they don't survive the trip back, only the device does, because it can control gravity and survive the trip. He bails, and matt damon's dude and his ship and everything else dies. The device makes it though, and sets off the chain of events that make the events of the film happen. It's not cooper's daughter that unlocks the mystery of the device and saves mankind, it's like his grandson or great grandson or something. Earth has a slightly longer time table than presented in the film.

Cooper isn't an astronaut, he's just a pilot and engineer. He doesn't know anyone at nasa and I forget now, but somehow he talks his way onto the mission.

The robots (tardis, etc) are more like ironmen drones than weird rectangle things. They were the only things sent through the wormhole initially, that whole 12 scientists sent to 12 solar systems through this 1 wormhole thing didn't happen. In fact there is only 1 planet on the other side of the wormhole, and it is orbiting a super massive black hole and about to be ripped a part. That planet doesn't have waves, it's actually the ice planet matt damon was chilling on from the film. However, unlike in the film, the ice was just cloud layers, and underneath the ice there was an actual surface that had this weird fractal hivemind lifeform living on it.

The robots sent through that made it there were Chinese military robots. They were sent to find a habitable world and set up a base camp, and figure out a way to save the human race. but after they were sent the "war" broke out and the starvation/famine hit earth/etc/etc and china, like the united states, no longer exists as powers/countries.

The surprise conflict in act 2 which in the film is matt damon going crazy, is in the script, Tardis (or actually, one of the chinese drones disguised as tardis) going crazy. Which leads to them going through the black hole which leads to them exiting reality/spacetime as we know it, discovering the rest of the chinese robots who cus of #relativity have been working on a way to save mankind (as they were programmed to do) for like 50k earth years, and they were the ones that created the gravity device.

There actually were interdimensional extra planar beings that could only interact with our universe via gravity. They saw the life on that ice planet was about to die and they created the wormhole so that man could travel there and save that life form from extinction, not the other way around #dundundun.

Cooper had collected some of the fractal creatures and after the whole ordeal with black holes and extra space/time travel he eventually makes his way via spaceship back to earth. But it's several hundred years later, He arrives and there is no life on it whatsoever, completely barren frozen wasteland. He assumes all humanity is lost and sits down and prepares to die as massive frozen winds are about to tear him/his spaceship etc apart when he drops the vials of the fractal creatures which immediately begin to thrive in the frozen wastes of earth, and he is saved by another spaceship from "Cooper" station.

He meets with his grandson/great grandson whatever it was who is super old and stuff much like it was his daughter in the film. He does go off and look for brand, who had decided to explore the cosmos or some shit through the place outside of existence that has nothing but wormholes to every where or some such shit. The film reason for her continuing on (that cooper sacrifices himself so she can finish the mission, and she does go to colonize that planet) was better than the script in this instance.

and the TLDR:
Planet earth was going to become completely uninhabitable by human beings. Humans, through a newly discovered wormhole to another galaxy were trying to find a way to save the human race, but the planet they found was in no way shape or form a new "home" for humans. That planet was also doomed, and would die far sooner than earth would. The worm hole was created by extraplanar beings who were trying to save the life on that doomed world. Rusty inadvertently accomplishes this via transplanting some of the species from the doomed world to earth, which the conditions of it by the time he arrived were perfect for them. He only went back to "keep his promise" that he made to his (son in the script) daughter in the film. He is under the impression that the mission has failed, and is prepared to die until he is rescued from earth and taken to a space station.

In the process of mankind's efforts to not die, they were able to send robots through the black hole through the other side of the wormhole and those robots were able to eventually (given that they now have unlimited time in comparison to earth) make a machine which can harness the power of gravity. Rusty also inadvertently sends this device back to earth and his descendents on earth eventually figure out how to operate it and save the human race.
That is rather interesting of a difference there, but somehow i dont see the audience being as interested in the characters as the movie version. However that remains to be seen but i wouldnt have minded a more scifi/alien twist to it like that just to see it come to a movie adaption.

This is more or less why im glad i dont have time to read many books, id be hard pressed to separate what i read to what i watch.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yes he dumbed down the script and more humanized it, gave it more human elements, to appeal to general movie going audiences.

Also lol at everyone complaining about the visuals. You can bitch about the story or the love angle or any of that, but the visuals weren't impressive enough for you? read any of the links posted in this thread about the making of the film.

Much like sagan back in the day wanted to do something that introduced sciencey stuff to people, Astrophysicists were tired of the psychedelic vortex shit from hollywood and wanted a film that showed what blackholes actually look like and theoretically what wormholes would look like. They contacted Jonathan Nolan who wrote the script. This was back around the time the Dark Knight was released. His brother eventually adapted the script into a film. They worked with the astrophysicist's who proposed the idea in the first place to create the visuals. The amount of math and science and raw data processing that went in to rendering those shots is insane.

The original purpose of the film was to show what a black hole actually looks like, which they succeeded in doing. Everything that comes after this will show blackholes looking like that, because that's what they really look like.