Into the Breach

norp

Bronze Squire

This comes out today, from the people that made FTL. Already has great reviews, no doubt it's gonna be a good one if you like these types of things.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
A couple of streamers that I like to watch are jizzing their pants over this game. It is apparently very good. Haven´t tried it myself yet but it seems to be worth a pick up from what I´ve heard so far.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I have been eagerly awaiting this for months. Even though the devs played it off as, "We will never make anything as good as FTL again", it seems like they may have struck gold here.

Molten Core Raider
Picked it up this morning and enjoying it far more than I did FTL. Im terrible at tactical games so I havent made a whole lot of progress, but I love mechs vs big monsters/aliens so it will have my attention for a bit. Worth the 15 bucks.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Game seems decent. It's not something that has huge "fun" moments, but lots of thinking involved.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Super fun, lots of ooooohhhh moments when I think I am fucked but figure out something. More about repositioning the monsters than killing them, though killing them helps :)

Unlocked first three mech tiers so far and between the amount of mechs, loadouts, and customization this game is deeper than it first appears.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Game causes me to rage. I won on my 2nd try, and haven't since. I literally just failed the final mission with a custom squad that I absolutely should have won, but I didn't pay attention and let one of my mechs get crushed by rocks for no reason. I can accomplish fantastic runs, and then I do something asinine. I am too damn impatient.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Game causes me to rage. I won on my 2nd try, and haven't since. I literally just failed the final mission with a custom squad that I absolutely should have won, but I didn't pay attention and let one of my mechs get crushed by rocks for no reason. I can accomplish fantastic runs, and then I do something asinine. I am too damn impatient.

Same, it always hurts to flawless a couple islands to then make some colossal oversight and kill a pilot or fail the last bonus you need. Also was anyone else expecting a third phase or some ultimate boss fight with a Queen? I enjoyed the finale but I was expecting some FTL style multi stage kick in the teeth. Anyway this is another fantastic little game from Subset.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
With the sheer amount of out of work/under worked talented graphical artists why are studios still pumping out these potato graphics when the specs to run these games are trivial? These dudes have at least enough of a budget now to throw $14 and a crate of shrimp flavored ramen to some person on deviantart to produce something that looks at least equivalent to FF:Tactics made in 1997.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What cracks me up is seeing people on Steam lose their shit because the game has a 60 fps cap.

I agree though, I'd be vastly more likely to buy this if it was available on 3DS and looked like it does. It's only a 2 person studio though so I suppose that's not likely to happen the way it does with games like Steamworld Dig/Heist (especially since those are technically 3DS games ported to PC not the other way round).

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I bought it last night and played for a bit. I lost a lot. I think I suck at this game. Makes sense.

The production value is akin to FTL which is a good thing. The abundance of the pushing of units around the squares is a little awkward for me personally. I keep thinking in terms of splash damage, but splash damage is not really what happens. Splash pushing is actually what happens. It'll just take some getting used to the mechanic. Beyond that, the game seems tight and well developed and I'm sure that once I get the hang of splash-pushing I'll love the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What cracks me up is seeing people on Steam lose their shit because the game has a 60 fps cap.

I agree though, I'd be vastly more likely to buy this if it was available on 3DS and looked like it does. It's only a 2 person studio though so I suppose that's not likely to happen the way it does with games like Steamworld Dig/Heist (especially since those are technically 3DS games ported to PC not the other way round).

At first I thought this was a cell phone game. It would be great on a smartphone while youre taking a shit.

Saw some streams last night and while cool, I dont think its up my alley.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With the sheer amount of out of work/under worked talented graphical artists why are studios still pumping out these potato graphics when the specs to run these games are trivial? These dudes have at least enough of a budget now to throw $14 and a crate of shrimp flavored ramen to some person on deviantart to produce something that looks at least equivalent to FF:Tactics made in 1997.
Subset games isn't a studio. It's literally two guys in a garage designing games.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Subset games isn't a studio. It's literally two guys in a garage designing games.

Regardless of the semantics of what defines a studio it's not like hiring a temp artist is difficult. They can clearly make enjoyable games, but they lack the desire or effort to produce something more visually appealing and that is a turn off with the amount of options available to spend your gaming dollarydoos on.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Regardless of the semantics of what defines a studio it's not like hiring a temp artist is difficult. They can clearly make enjoyable games, but they lack the desire or effort to produce something more visually appealing and that is a turn off with the amount of options available to spend your gaming dollarydoos on.

The art style is minimalist, but still pleasant enough to look at and transmits all the necessary information clearly. Doubling the number of pixels would do nothing to change my enjoyment of this game.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Is it really that easy to just hire highly qualified video game graphics artists? Hiring skilled people is a very time consuming and difficult task.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I suck at this but enjoy it enough that I'll spend the time to figure it out. The soundtrack is also excellent.

Well worth the money and the free copy of FTL is nice, I just need to find someone who doesn't already have it.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I played a bit more today and positioning and pushing really is where it's at. The ability to push and pull your enemy is key. You don't have to worry so much about killing everything (though that is needed as well) so much as just disrupting their attacks and making them attack into mountains or into nothing. Movement points and the ability to push enemies, are more valuable than damage points. At least in the beginning. You can't just smash your foe, you have to carefully manipulate their positions and mess up their plans.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Is it really that easy to just hire highly qualified video game graphics artists? Hiring skilled people is a very time consuming and difficult task.

I work for a large multinational media company so I'd say yes in my experience it's pretty easy to nab artists. Getting non derpy developers on a temp basis is pretty much aids though.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Having played a bit more I'm finding that this is nowhere near as replayable as FTL sadly. I'm still glad I go it but it feels a bit too simple mechanically. The different squad types do force you to adjust to an ability shuffle but everything always comes down to pushing things around in the end. Hopefully they will release additional content like that Captain's edition somewhere down the road.