Investing General Discussion

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That's one of the first YouTube rants I've watched in a long time where the person actually speaks well. I'll probably watch more of that guy. Good stuff.

Gammon is my personal favorite right now

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

The UK has it figured out. They've been cutting timber in the southeast and making wood pellets out of it. Then ship it via freighter to the UK to burn in coal plants. Kid you not.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Airlines have to be feeling the pinch with increased fuel prices.
Goldman Sachs downgraded the sector, but that is near term. Mid to long term, they say the sector is good. First issue was business travel. We know that already. Second is fuel. Remains to be seen what gas prices do.

Covid counts are down by half in the last month, so I guess I'm a bagholder until gas prices drop sufficiently.

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I was pretty dumbfounded this morning when I woke up and checked the market...

I take solace in the fact I didn't lose anywhere close to as much money as some people did yesterday.

View attachment 375842

View attachment 375843

Carbon Capture meme stock tanked when Benzinga links a tweet of someone going short claims the CFO isn't real.

Theres a rumbling of DATS being todays bombshell drop.
Yeah I saw CEI during one of my stock scans. I've been paper money trading to practice chart readings and setups. How do you protect yourself if that crap happens during off hours? Sorry for my ignorance, but stop limits don't activate until normal trading hours, right?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I saw CEI during one of my stock scans. I've been paper money trading to practice chart readings and setups. How do you protect yourself if that crap happens during off hours? Sorry for my ignorance, but stop limits don't activate until normal trading hours, right?
There is no guarantee your price will be filled, especially on a hard open. If you want to protect yourself, don't hold overnight.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Depending on a stock's float / catalyst and velocity of the move, you can get blown right by on stops even during open market hours. There is always that risk, but especially true holding overnight positions on swing trades, as Stop limit orders do not typically execute during extended / overnight trading hours.

This is always the big risk trading volatile names that are prone to secondary offerings / overnight news catalysts.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider

Stop loss wont protect you from instant massive drops like what happened here. Stop loss is like a market sell, when it hits at say $1.00 and you get filled at $0.20, didn't really work the way you thought it would did it?

If you trade small caps you shouldn't be greedy in the slightest, its cool to dream about buying in at bottoms and selling at tops with 6 figure gains but the reality is, you sell at almost every breakout and thank god you didn't lose your shirt.

CEI:
1633530561197.png

1633530192399.png

Nobody should have gotten destroyed on this stock yesterday because you should have had stops at both of these "supports", which you can see with the 2.62 quite a few had stops.

Its also interesting to point out if you bought this at the bottom at 1.03, you would have made almost 60% returns by EOD.

I've really turned away from trading small caps for the past few months because the money has really just disappeared. Too much downside without the 300%+ runners to outweigh the risks.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Depending on a stock's float / catalyst and velocity of the move, you can get blown right by on stops even during open market hours. There is always that risk, but especially true holding overnight positions on swing trades, as Stop limit orders do not typically execute during extended / overnight trading hours.

This is always the big risk trading volatile names that are prone to secondary offerings / overnight news catalysts.
I never have a problem during the day, but I'm not in super volatile names. If you are in the small cap and spec names, that's where you can get destroyed.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never have a problem during the day, but I'm not in super volatile names. If you are in the small cap and spec names, that's where you can get destroyed.
Float is always key in this. Trading big large cap names during market hours, you're almost always going to get your correct stops. Small caps and low float names, you're into very risky territory relying on stops that can just get blown over in a volatile move. That's the small caps in a nutshell though. Extremely high risk, but also extremely high reward. Probably the most challenging of all day trading and blows up >99% of people's account before they can figure it out.

If you ever want to dabble in small caps, use a simulator (paper trades) for months before you ever put your real cash at risk!! Even then, simulators can't prepare you for the emotional side of trading. Plus, those external risks inherent in small caps can still blow you out in early trades.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Probably the most challenging of all day trading and blows up >99% of people's account before they can figure it out.
I found that out the hard way last Summer. Best to paper trade than do it with real money for sure. I remember when I first started trading high volatility low cap names, I made 40k in an hour. I was in such a daze, I didn't realize it sold off until hours later.

I won't touch names under 10B any more AND/OR volatility >5%.

Not one to whine about manipulation, but if its under 1B, stop loss raids happen all the time and with ease.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Molten Core Raider
Been trading small caps/pennies for a year and a half, its... interesting to say the least lol. I took 25% profits on cei and was pretty happy. My sell order was just under .60 when it started the uptrend on its way to 4.85. Ahh the money I coulda made if I had known.

This is more of that "dont second guess yourself" stuff I guess.

Slowly transferring my trading to "real" stocks as I accumulate more money and learn. Right now I am learning with money I can afford to lose!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Been trading small caps/pennies for a year and a half, its... interesting to say the least lol. I took 25% profits on cei and was pretty happy. My sell order was just under .60 when it started the uptrend on its way to 4.85. Ahh the money I coulda made if I had known.

Slowly transferring my trading to "real" stocks as I accumulate more money and learn. Right now I am learning with money I can afford to lose!
I would be interested in more information about this. I could youtube it but it is not the same. I know next to nothing about any of this, and it sounds like a solid entry point to learning the mechanics. I would also be interested in others opinions of said venture.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just my opinion but I feel pretty strongly about it...

You can't really logically trade pennies, it's all short term trends and memes with the majority just FOMOing into stocks.

the Furu's decide which stock to pump and tell you about it after they get a good position; WISH, BBIG, CEI, DATS, MOSI, LEDS, CLOV, MRIN.

You'll have to get into the communities that pump this dogshit to the masses.

Carbon Capture is an emerging market they say...

1633532699202.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

I know you can make a lot of money doing it, but you can also get your face ripped off. I see some of these youtubers making 50k a day on small caps.

I don't know why people don't start trading the index funds first. I'd start with the SPY and the QQQ.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
To add, I hear Cramer has a new pump and dump community that you can use a QR code for! So hip I hear its even better than wallstreetbets!

1633533357431.png

• 1Worf

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its action alerts, but free. Makes you wonder why he's charging club members.

I signed up for it, just to see.

Last email snipped:

Last, but most important is American Eagle Outfitters. Shares sold off hard this afternoon on no news from the company specifically, but investors who are focused on retail have been nervous about the group lately due to the sharp rise in cotton prices and potential supply chain issues out of Vietnam. These are issues we will continue to monitor, but we also do not want to let those storylines get in the way of what we think is a highly undervalued franchise.

1633534425508.png

Definitely an opportunity if supply chains aren't going to completely fuck the world.

From what I'm reading, chinese factories are going to get shuttered and put on life support for the forseeable future, with AEO getting 30% of its products from china, I think its still got some more hurt in store.

• 1Solidarity

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I signed up for it, just to see.

Last email snipped:

Last, but most important is American Eagle Outfitters. Shares sold off hard this afternoon on no news from the company specifically, but investors who are focused on retail have been nervous about the group lately due to the sharp rise in cotton prices and potential supply chain issues out of Vietnam. These are issues we will continue to monitor, but we also do not want to let those storylines get in the way of what we think is a highly undervalued franchise.

View attachment 375880

Definitely an opportunity if supply chains aren't going to completely fuck the world.

From what I'm reading, chinese factories are going to get shuttered and put on life support for the forseeable future, with AEO getting 30% of its products from china, I think its still got some more hurt in store.
Cramer helps on his updates, just do your own research. I don't buy all his ideas...but he makes me question my portfolio construction. And he's stopped me from panic selling when the rest of the market was.