Investing General Discussion

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I am in it pretty heavy so I'm hoping it keeps going but definitely not out of the woods yet. It is grossly oversold on the daily chart we have the large gap down above starting at 212. Bulls want to see this move towards 209-212 and then base there for a little bit which will show the nervous nillies that the selling is over and then it can start the real climb back up. If this plays out I expect it to get stuck around 240 it's at that point people will have to decide if they are in for the long haul or are just flipping as a trade.
Just curious, but did you have a bunch more from like a year ago or more?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Not sure if these assumptions are accurate. $4 an hour for Truckers in California? Trucking firms don't want to add staff?

No he is referring to small independent drivers. They are paid for the Load and don't have a wage. So if you are paid $1200 to go from LA to Phoenix and you spend hours upon hours sitting around waiting to be loaded and unloaded you are going to earn anymore pay, so your calculated wage/hr will decline. Just as an example making rough numbers up:
$1200 for the Haul
4hr wait at port
7hr drive
2hr wait to unload
$650 Fuel
$280 Maintenance Reserve on Truck (373mi)
$125 Healthcare Reserve

$11.15/hr before taxes

Now you could make this look even worse by considering he may have to drive back empty, or at least make another partial trip empty. If you can't be efficient as possible to not be driving empty independent carries can get into trouble real quick. The current climate especially in CA it is really not worth being an independent carrier IMO. Take the wage and let your employer deal with that headache.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There is fuckton of chop right now in the markets. Unless I see something blatantly obvious like PYPL, I am sort of sitting pat until i get a clearer view of where we are heading. I will snipe a good deal if I see it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
There is fuckton of chop right now in the markets. Unless I see something blatantly obvious like PYPL, I am sort of sitting pat until i get a clearer view of where we are heading. I will snipe a good deal if I see it.
Ya, I'm waiting around for another dip to maybe add some more ETF type stuff, but probably not for at least another month or 2.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You have absolutely nothing to worry about, absolutely nothing is going to come out of left field and cause problems!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 1Solidarity

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
No he is referring to small independent drivers. They are paid for the Load and don't have a wage. So if you are paid $1200 to go from LA to Phoenix and you spend hours upon hours sitting around waiting to be loaded and unloaded you are going to earn anymore pay, so your calculated wage/hr will decline. Just as an example making rough numbers up:
$1200 for the Haul
4hr wait at port
7hr drive
2hr wait to unload
$650 Fuel
$125 Healthcare Reserve

$11.15/hr before taxes

Now you could make this look even worse by considering he may have to drive back empty, or at least make another partial trip empty. If you can't be efficient as possible to not be driving empty independent carries can get into trouble real quick. The current climate especially in CA it is really not worth being an independent carrier IMO. Take the wage and let your employer deal with that headache.
Makes sense. I heard on CNBC in China its even worse. Something about the drivers have to wait up to 48 hours per load.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
The only reason to exit a long term hold is because you believe the fundamental backdrop has changed. The company has lost a competitive edge or moved in a different direction for which you are not optimistic. You don't leave a LT hold over a price target. Look at its earnings once a year. Read or listen to the earnings calls, read ceo letter if they are making good choices and investments for the future and are executing then keep holding and reinvesting dividends. Price targets are for trading. In the bigger picture the market is a complicated machine that transfers wealth from the impatient to the patient.
Been saying this for years.

• 1Picard

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
$1200 for the Haul
4hr wait at port
7hr drive
2hr wait to unload
$650 Fuel
$125 Healthcare Reserve

$11.15/hr before taxes

Very pertinent discussion:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Politics in Stonks Thread
This is not good, this means very little Economic growth for a long time, if true. And this would not be Biden's fault, it would be covid's fault. Trump is the one who shut down legal and illegal immigration. If these numbers are true, we need to be giving out millions of work visas. That or start cloning people.

I shit on Biden as much as I can, but if this is true, its not his fault.

• 3Dislike
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This is not good, this means very little Economic growth for a long time, if true. And this would not be Biden's fault, it would be covid's fault. Trump is the one who shut down legal and illegal immigration. If these numbers are true, we need to be giving out millions of work visas. That or start cloning people.

man you're a real piece of work shonuff

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
man you're a real piece of work shonuff
I honestly don't care for politicians and shit on them all.

As a business owner, I don't want to see articles like that. This last year has been horrible finding CDL drivers. Trucking wages in my area are up almost 40% from last year. I have my guys that have been with me for 10-20 years, and then I have CDL drivers that keep getting stolen because large corporations are offering them 15k signing bonuses and 40 an hour. One of my guys got offered that, with no overnights. He goes to the company, and it ended up being no signing bonus, 26 an hour and on the road.

Its gotten so bad that they are making offers to Employees and not keeping them. I let the guy come back, because they offered him double, and he did give two weeks' notice.

I'm ready for this labor shortage to be over.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Last warning on the political shit in this thread. It has fuck all to do with investing who is at fault.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Last warning on the political shit in this thread. It has fuck all to do with investing who is at fault.
OK, worker shortage is the issue. 5M people missing is gonna hurt. For a long time. If we have 11M open positions, and only 2M more people in the actual work force, we are pretty much fucked.

Literally, what Goldman Sachs is arguing we are at unsafe levels of unemployment, and we'll have higher inflation and low growth for years to come.

Estimates are just estimates, but GS says half of them are never coming back into the workforce.

Last edited:

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK, worker shortage is the issue. 5M people missing is gonna hurt. For a long time. If we have 11M open positions, and only 2M more people in the actual work force, we are pretty much fucked.

Literally, what Goldman Sachs is arguing we are at unsafe levels of unemployment, and we'll have higher inflation and low growth for years to come.

Estimates are just estimates, but GS says half of them are never coming back into the workforce.

1636863740607.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Only 1.5-2 million were unanticipated early retirements. Yes it’s a lot but it was bound to happen when boomers started retiring. Pandemic and free money made a lot of them just give up a little early. There’s still millions who didn’t. They can be replaced by nonparticipating people, welfare recipients, teenagers. Not if they keep getting handouts though, so who knows. Some of the jobs they left they may find were worthless and don’t need replacing.