Investing General Discussion

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just want to throw my 2 cents in but use stop losses and you don't have to ride the wave down to catch it on the way up. Wait for confirmation of a reversal if youre not sure about this dip. Missing out on a little gains to know it's going up won't kill you, and protect yourself if it decides to be a fake out.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Not going to lie, I loaded up today. But unlike in the past, I concentrated on non-meme stocks

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Last one for the night. Let's go the tape and rewind to 2018

This is the second half of 2018:
Capture6.PNG

A: strong rally that lasted months. Moving averages look great with shortest on top, longest on bottom all upward pointing. Then a very scary decline due to the Fed being offsides.
B: This is where we are right now comparatively. We have shot right through the 200d, a relief bounce is what follows.
C: That relief bounce fails, the day concern increases is right to the left of the C when we can't hold the 200d and close the day back below. The market probes even lower and this time rallies even harder, but again it can't hold above the 200d. It does this yet one more time .
D: By this point the giant red candle to the left of the D is a huge bad news day. Successfully navigating that particular week would be almost impossible.
E: Right here I make the following post:
I don't believe in making quick decisions on long term money, but I did make a move towards cash today on LT money. My gut tells me that this market cycle is still not over, but the technical's are looking quite bad, and I follow a discipline regardless of how it may feel in the moment. We need to recover 20 month moving avg soon to avoid this turning into something uglier than a deep correction. The outlook in late 15-2016 was also quite bad and we ended up rallying quite hard off the Feb'16 lows. Not telling people to panic, anyone who has seen me post here for years knows that's not something I would do, BUT if you have strong gains going back to the beginning of this bull market it may be prudent to start watching a little to see if you want to take some off to have cash to redeploy at better prices.

We sometimes wait years and years for those low PE opportunities, so maybe the better message given the average age person here is to get cash ready, even if you would rather leave current investments alone. (timing the market successfully has low probability of success) We may be seeing some good companies at prices that just recently seemed unreachable.
I chose to be patient with the market, I didn't panic sell at B. I was trying to give a chance for the market to resume the primary trend. The 200 flattened and then even began to turn down and then we lost the 2640 level. The evidence had changed so I responded and moved to cash.

I then made this post:
I could see it stopping 2400~ and a recovery to 2800-2900 sometime in 2019.

The secular bull trend can stay intact all the way down to 2150-2200 so it is likely to be some scary moments but still keep the longer trends healthy. One day at a time, we aren’t going to adjust from 7yrs of super low rates without some pain along the way.

For some fun laughs go find the Pops post right below that post and have a chuckle about which of us understands markets better. The market went on to bottom on Christmas Eve at 2350 slightly overshooting my target. I bought at back in at ~2400 and four months later in 2019 it hit my 2900 target. I don't go over this to jerk off to my timing or predictive skills but to show that there is a method to it and sure as shit isn't rooted in emotion of the day. I occasionally say "my gut" and it's probably a bad habit, but at some point subjective decision making interfaces with objective data. What I call the weighing the full evidence is the "gut" final call. It's probably a pretty crucial part of the discipline that maybe some people are better suited to than others, some people are better at laser focusing on one thing versus people who can consider many things at once. In different disciplines these traits can be a positive or negative, in the stock market it is quite clear which is the preferred trait.

I hope this helps put today's market in perspective and how to navigate difficult markets if you aren't comfortable with just buy and hold.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You really need "time in the market" and I'm glad to see you buying index. Our emotions tell us otherwise but unless we are actively living off the money the overwhelming majority here benefit much more from declines than we do gains. Accumulate and try to accumulate consistently during weak periods. Great time to make some ira contributions, maybe go heavier on the 401k at work etc.

The last couple of months have been really helpful for me. I got into this market mid-year, so I'm pretty fucked. I also continued to buy up until I was out of money (now I'm just putting in a few thousand every month) and I'm down bigly in my individual account and still have nice returns in the indexes.

It's great to see the chatter when I should be buying versus the chatter when I should be accumulating cash. The last 50 pages are indicative of what I'd call sit and wait chatter looking for an entry point. I was unaware of this. I didn't know how bad it could get and how scared people get and I love it.

The same for crypto. The noise is like this x 10. Since I was a noob I let fomo control a lot of my actions. As BTC hit $60k I was adding a position bc "ZOMG DOOD ITS GOING TO $100K!" when the reality is that BTC while oft removed from reality is still a market that is prisoner to market trends.

This past year has been fun. I'm learning a lot. The past few weeks have probably taught me the most though. Up until now I've just sucked at maximizing my returns. Now I'm eating losses and licking the blood, hungering to not forget the lessons.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
The same for crypto. The noise is like this x 10. Since I was a noob I let fomo control a lot of my actions. As BTC hit $60k I was adding a position bc "ZOMG DOOD ITS GOING TO $100K!" when the reality is that BTC while oft removed from reality is still a market that is prisoner to market trends.
Shit. I might have to start trading crypto again...

1642862339697.png

• 1Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Its getting close to where I'll start buying some again.

With crypto its impossible to tell if it goes to 20k and stays there for years, or goes to 100k before April.

Shit is madness.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Its getting close to where I'll start buying some again.

With crypto its impossible to tell if it goes to 20k and stays there for years, or goes to 100k before April.

Shit is madness.
I just put in a limit order for BTC at 29k. That is roughly the 2020 low support. I will then forget about it until Gemini alerts me if it fills.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Did you use margin this time?

I'm going to be real with you all. I HAVE used margin again to buy this dip. I just could not help myself when I saw MSFT/GOOG,etc dip as much as it did. Yes I am gambeling on a big turn around then selling off the excess to pay the margin (2.8 percent interest) while keeping the leftovers at a lower cost basis.

I'm taking these risks because I am playing with hmmm maybe 10 or 15 percent of my total wealth (liquid and not liquid assets) and do feel I can risk losing it all without any meaningful change in lifestyle/life situation.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Apple with a clear head and shoulders is concerning. I see at least touching the 100D, apple has more support than pretty much anything in the market but how many are going to gamble before earnings? If everyone is going to risk off and get in after earnings it might see the 200D before then and if they get the same results and guidance as Netflix it's a clear sign the economy is slowing and we're in for a ride.

If Apple can't beat expectations over the Christmas quarter this market is fucked.
Screenshot_20220122-111303.png

Last edited: