Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Big volume today 182M on SPY, we will get a relief bounce at some point but the technical damage being done means those rallies have to be watched closely not as trusted as they have been in last 20 months. We can get monster rallies that makes people think it's over just to have selling re enter. It is a very tough call on timing that can be very profitable, or simply let it be. Volatility can get exhausting, I tend to like these kind of markets but they are indeed fraught with danger. This is not just going to turn on a dime and go away. Sentiment is changing and trader behavior is going to change, for some it may be better to just continue to watch and become more comfortable with how the market is behaving.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I guess I'm just plunking 50k in FXAIX and forgetting about it.
Welp, work was too busy to do this so uh, Monday I guess.

Cryptocurrency Investing GIF by hungrynaru

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I doubt it, most people dont even think this is a crash. Reference this thread. It's just a "normal twice a year dip" that is guaranteed to print money.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Talking trends: Previously, we had almost perfectly timed monthly dips (often timed with options expiry) and in days would recover and continue to new highs. First change in the trend was September. We dipped far harder out of channel and took far longer to recover, hell the first bounce was sold. I talked about this and posted charts showing this. By mid-Oct to early Nov, we recovered and rallied hard though. Nov / December was where I really started taking stuff off the table and keeping a keen eye on things. This is where the market started falling apart.

I, personally, dont see the conviction to be going full size, or hell even half in this environment. As a friend has said for over a month now "This is a bear market masquerading as a bull". Most names in the indexes have been breaking 52w lows, while a few heavyweights have held the markets aloft. There's been a great rotation happening for some time now. A lot going on beneath the surface of the indexes. I don't think it is wise going as big on the dips as 2020 / 2021. We are entering a different period.

I do think Q4 earnings can provide some clarity. Quite a few names were just monstering and powering through new highs, despite some not so great news. (F with multiple plant production halts on chips, AAPL with reduced demand & chip issues - for example). Any misses, less than perfect earnings, or bad guidance on the heavyweights will pull the markets.

Maybe its all for nothing and maybe we just rip back to highs.. who knows.. but I think we have some headwinds and this is obviously what the markets have been trying to price in. A Fed rate surprise of .50 vs .25 in March for one thing. Russia taking action in Ukraine can easily gap us down in a big way.

Blazin Blazin I just want to know who Gandalf is in your post? Who's stepping in to bid this market back up?

We are still working on a corrective phase, but bear market bounces can be the most violent. Either way.. volatility ahead. Volatility means opportunity for active traders, but you can lose your shirt if you don't know what you are doing. Always keep an eye on the bigger picture.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Oy my butthole.

Going to toss another 75k into this grinder next week.

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Whats been driving this sell off? Yields peaked tuesday and cooled since yet sell off as continued.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Talking trends: Previously, we had almost perfectly timed monthly dips (often timed with options expiry) and in days would recover and continue to new highs. First change in the trend was September. We dipped far harder out of channel and took far longer to recover, hell the first bounce was sold. I talked about this and posted charts showing this. By mid-Oct to early Nov, we recovered and rallied hard though. Nov / December was where I really started taking stuff off the table and keeping a keen eye on things. This is where the market started falling apart.

I, personally, dont see the conviction to be going full size, or hell even half in this environment. As a friend has said for over a month now "This is a bear market masquerading as a bull". Most names in the indexes have been breaking 52w lows, while a few heavyweights have held the markets aloft. There's been a great rotation happening for some time now. A lot going on beneath the surface of the indexes. I don't think it is wise going as big on the dips as 2020 / 2021. We are entering a different period.

I do think Q4 earnings can provide some clarity. Quite a few names were just monstering and powering through new highs, despite some not so great news. (F with multiple plant production halts on chips, AAPL with reduced demand & chip issues - for example). Any misses, less than perfect earnings, or bad guidance on the heavyweights will pull the markets.

Maybe its all for nothing and maybe we just rip back to highs.. who knows.. but I think we have some headwinds and this is obviously what the markets have been trying to price in. A Fed rate surprise of .50 vs .25 in March for one thing. Russia taking action in Ukraine can easily gap us down in a big way.

Blazin Blazin I just want to know who Gandalf is in your post? Who's stepping in to bid this market back up?

We are still working on a corrective phase, but bear market bounces can be the most violent. Either way.. volatility ahead. Volatility means opportunity for active traders, but you can lose your shirt if you don't know what you are doing. Always keep an eye on the bigger picture.
I personally don't agree with the "you can lose your shirt" philosophy. Buying the major indexes at the 200-DMAs hasn't ever not worked when one is a long term investor. Yes there are obviously 3 or 4 exceptions in the last 100 years but even those just needed to be ridden out. If you are referring to Johnny Day Trader than yeah this is a risk filled ocean right now.

Even with 2 hikes in March we are still in an interest rate environment where there are zero alternatives to equities. The cash has to go somewhere and sitting in cash isn't an option with 5-7% inflation. This is a "relatively" short term rocky period. Most likely followed by lots of sideways movements into the rate hikes in March. As I have said many times, historical average of the S&P is about 10% return. I think investors need to realize this and cut their expectations. We are down 10-ish percent. If we avoid a bear and can get back to highs by end of the year then it's a successful year long term investors.

Or I am totally wrong.

Ps.. the Fed is fucked and have zero options. The Congress fucked us all with spending bills leading to inflation and the Fed has zero choices but to raise rates. That is a reality not even Janet Powell can ignore. The Congress dealt these cards to us. It is what it is.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I doubt it, most people dont even think this is a crash. Reference this thread. It's just a "normal twice a year dip" that is guaranteed to print money.
Check out this guy who "gets it" . Thank god we have Pops..I mean Titan....I mean Zog here to tell us how it is. You Gartman letter subscribers are always a hoot. Care to ban bet?

• 1Worf
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Whats been driving this sell off? Yields peaked tuesday and cooled since yet sell off as continued.
PEs have been stretched really thin and growth stocks got way out over the cliff. The Fed finally admitting inflation isn't transitory and we cant allow 5-7% inflation to continue as we roll into a stagflation environment so the Fed is on autopilot and can't not raise rates. And keep raising them. This fucks growth stocks. People have been really heavy into growth. Realization is setting in.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Everyone who doesn't hate their money. Your choices are a negative 7% yielding asset or a 1.8% yield with high chance of capital loss going forward.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Check out this guy who "gets it" . Thank god we have Pops..I mean Titan....I mean Zog here to tell us how it is. You Gartman letter subscribers are always a hoot. Care to ban bet?
Is it too late to adjust my end of year S&P guess for the contest? I think it has a typo in it.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider

Im not even speculating on if its a crash or not just saying, the fed isn't going to rethink raising rates just because the nasdaq dropped 6% or whatever it ended up being at the end of the day.

We would need a black swan event and peoples retirements getting wiped out before they would even entertain this idea.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It is tempting to do that to show how sentiment changes so easily. COuld you imagine how different the median guess would be just 3 weeks later.
That's why I brought it up. 😀

I have mention before when the narrative is going up this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic besides the few regulars. When it starts correcting though, we need a doorman to keep the traffic moving smoothly.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Im not even speculating on if its a crash or not just saying, the fed isn't going to rethink raising rates just because the nasdaq dropped 6% or whatever it ended up being at the end of the day.

We would need a black swan event and peoples retirements getting wiped out before they would even entertain this idea.
I understand this Fed to a high degree. This is the same Fed that won't even just end QE even though they know it's hurting who also for some reason is going to go crazy hawkish people are out of their gourds. You're right the Fed is going to raise rates and they are going to completely pansy ass about it. Market is trading like me or Sanrith where the Fed chair, now in that shit you'd want to sell.

• 1Solidarity