Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sound rule.

What % do you use for equities?
Depends on if it's a trade or an investment. My investments I hold unless I see a material fundamental change. DIS for an example.

For trades I generally look at 10% unless I took a very small starter position with the intent to cost average at the next support position down.

It also depends on the company to be honest. A low beta stock like INTC shouldn't see wild price swings so a 10% draw down will get me to sell. FB on the other hand I had conviction it was over sold so I added twice below 10% and I ended up going green on the recovery.

I don't have hard and fast rules. More like guidelines. But 10% is a pretty short leash when I just didn't play an entry correctly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Feel free to laugh at me for just discovering this, but maybe theres someone who hasnt used it yet.

The Analysis tab at Fidelity has some great tools for quickly identifying issues with my portfolio.

One of my index funds has more AMZN and GOOG than I realized, leaving me with a concentration in those stocks.

In the stocks->sector tab It also identifies inappropriate allocation across sectors,
  • Consumer Discretionary 9%
  • Information Technology -6%
  • Materials 12%
  • Health Care -8%

My point is not to blog about my noob issues but point out a really useful tool built in at Fidelity that I didnt notice at first I guess because of screen resolution or some shit.

Games are always more fun with good interfaces, I'm so fucking glad I moved to Fidelity

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I see that is a reply to a deleted Burry tweet. What’s was the tweet?

He wrote or linked to an article (can't remember which) about why Elon buying enough Twitter stock to control the company would be good for America.

• 1Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like Elon backed out of the agreement and won't be on the board. This leaves him free to buy 15% now.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
AMD under $100 premarket. Might need to start looking for the next support level below. (no position)

TSLA under $1000

China names being smashed again.

Last edited:

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jesus Christ, I've never seen premarket so bad. So glad i held off buying Friday my god!

Most of tech is already at the year low but apple and tesla keeping the index elevated,
Usually we get a massive rally from these levels but i really feel like this is overdone.

Market can't just keep going down, these companies are still great companies that make boatloads of cash...

Risky doing anything really but it does seem like China is imploding.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Jesus Christ, I've never seen premarket so bad. So glad i held off buying Friday my god!

Market can't just keep going down

first time GIF

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wasnt in the markets for the covid crash, certainly would help if i could have seen trader behavior for it and see the signs.

In the age of short squeezes it makes me uneasy.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

The reason is because once you're on the board you can't really talk about the company/say anything that would damage the stock price of the company, without the shareholders suing the board.

Also, as long as Elon was on the board, it would have made it near-impossible for someone like Salesforce or really anyone else from buying them out, lowering the value of the stock.

This might be a buy signal as now it puts the company back in play, where either Elon could buy more, potentially a lot more, or another buyer could come in.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I wasnt in the markets for the covid crash, certainly would help if i could have seen trader behavior for it and see the signs.

In the age of short squeezes it makes me uneasy.
This thread is a nice read during that crash. You might want to go read some of it. Them was some fun times. If I don't see the words "limit down" someplace, I tend to avoid using the word crash.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
T completed its spin-off of Time Warner today. T stock adjusted down to about $17.66 a share. Its dividend yield is over 6%. Stock up over 3% in the pre-market. The spin off ticker is WBD (Warner Brothers Discovery). Those shares opened at $24.73. Seeing some selling as those who got the spinoff shares are selling them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The powers that be will engineer a brief but significant recession.

This will let companies cut 15-20% of their workforce, work the rest of their workers to death.

Retail investors will bail out of the market on the way downward, and people will cash out their retirement to live off of.

Wage growth will stagnate again/likely even reverse.

Capital will buy up all the shit on the cheap and then it'll magically start recovering within 2-3 quarters.

Such is the great cycle that's been designed to keep the worker from getting ahead, all in the name of controlling "inflayshun."

The people who cry about media manipulation are in fact dopes for being manipulated into being a part of the great cycle.

• 1Solidarity