Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The thing with active trading (day / swings) is that it IS a fulltime job. You're constantly refining a strategy, constantly chart reading, digging through fundamentals. Then your're tackling trading psychology and reading books on that. You're still going to take gut punches that set you back. It's part of the game. Then when you spend a couple years thinking you have everything figured out, the market shifts dynamics and you're adjusting to that. It is a very tough job and most fail at it.

I easily spend 9+ hours a day at this on the regular. There is always something new to learn. Something to refine and perfect.

There is no easy lunch.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wrote the PLTR June expiry $8 strike puts. 35 cent premium. I am selling June puts in the hope to skip beyond earnings chop and other shit going on right now and hoping to see some sense of daylight out beyond May.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Right now I'm down more than half of my initial investment. And by down I mean down permanently due to forced margin calls over the months (years at this point).

I only thank god I did pay off the house/farm/debt before all this started and don't necessarily hate my job. Just a bitter pill to swallow thinking of all that money I had, but lost.

100 percent my fault though, gamboling with margin.

• 2Mother of God
  • 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We need a "ride the chop" reaction Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule

1651071175499.png

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Right now I'm down more than half of my initial investment. And by down I mean down permanently due to forced margin calls over the months (years at this point).

I only thank god I did pay off the house/farm/debt before all this started and don't necessarily hate my job. Just a bitter pill to swallow thinking of all that money I had, but lost.

100 percent my fault though, gamboling with margin.
Not getting into the whole margin thing, but where we are at right now is a basic reason you have to be able to peel back some profits from stocks when they have run too hot. Letting your winners run is great but you also need to skim some and bank it. Realized profits are the only profits. With my tech heavy portfolio I would be down substantially more if I hadnt trimmed now and again from my runners. OR sold out entire positions only to reinvest later after they cooled. While I am down biggly in CRM, my current position is entirely made up of profits I had reaped selling it out earlier. Same with FB and NVDA and a couple of others.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Lots and lots of less old folks never experienced the '08 recession or the Dot-Com crash. It can be sobering to realize stonks can go down. And then down some more. And then down some more. It is the number one reason I only focus on blue chips of varying degrees. They have the best chance of coming out on the other side and not going to zero. I get laughed at now and again for saying how much I focus on financial fundamentals (income statements and balance sheets) when picking targets but the days we are experiencing are why I do it.

I was only a few years into my career in the 08 recession and I remember being VERY happy with my gains the next few years since my 401k was dollar cost averaging my portfolio every 2 weeks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was only a few years into my career in the 08 recession and I remember being VERY happy with my gains the next few years since my 401k was dollar cost averaging my portfolio every 2 weeks.
I am old enough to remember lost years in the markets where those dividends were the only thing you made. It really colored my investing strategy for a long while.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Hmm, another flush (relative to most of the day) during power hour...

Tomorrow and Friday will be interesting to see if we can hold this bit of support, or we get a slow bleed further down. I think the move to 3800 SPY that Blazin Blazin has been talking about is looking like a real possibility...

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just a temporary discount for those who want to risk holding through earnings.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Bought more qqq.. Just buying hundred or two shares at a time. Will soon be done.

I'm not watching this close enough to get cute with picking a bottom. So don't take buys as signaling that. I know I'm busy enough over next few months that I'd rather just get invested and ignore it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FB saves the day.

16:05 [FB] Reports Q1 $2.72 v $2.54e, Rev $27.9B v $28.2Be
- Guides Q2 Rev $28.0-30.0B v $30.5Be
- Affirms FY22 Capex $29-34B (prior: $29-34B)
- Cuts FY22 Opex $87-92B (prior: $90-95B)
- Assumes FX to be ~3% headwind to y/y growth in Q2
- Daily active users (DAUs) 1.96B, +4% y/y v 1.95Be

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TDOC -40% (Trading $35 per share)

Cathie will have to explain this one to her shareholders.

7% weight of her fund. Her cost average is ~$163.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Mother of God

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wanted to update that just at the beginning of last week I was up ~6% on the year. I believe yesterday took me to flat as I’ve been scaling in since Qqq 340s

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FB saves the day.

16:05 [FB] Reports Q1 $2.72 v $2.54e, Rev $27.9B v $28.2Be
- Guides Q2 Rev $28.0-30.0B v $30.5Be
- Affirms FY22 Capex $29-34B (prior: $29-34B)
- Cuts FY22 Opex $87-92B (prior: $90-95B)
- Assumes FX to be ~3% headwind to y/y growth in Q2
- Daily active users (DAUs) 1.96B, +4% y/y v 1.95Be
So my cost averaging every time the PE dropped below the EPS seems to have paid off for me.

• 1Like
  • 1Tendies

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I wish I had the stones to buy SQQQ when I sold a bunch of TQQQ around the first of the month/end of March, I'd be playing both sides of this rollercoaster. Ah well, 20/20 hindsight and all.

As is, if/when we get back to that end of March level, I'll have made enough to counteract my MTTR (paper) losses. Bag holding Diamond hands on that one :I'm Fine:

• 1Like