Investing General Discussion

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Raising rates would cause bank failures? How so?
From 0.25 to 5%? That might be enough to get actual deflation in real estate and the stock correction would have been 3x what we have seen so far, it isn't hard to imagine investment banks caught on the wrong side of that being insolvent.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
RIP steel industry. I knew they would and will drop the tariffs. Beijing Biden about to start trending.

CLF is such a great company too... Poor stock is about to hit single digits when that shit is solidified.

Mikey

Bronze Knight of the Realm
5% probably ain’t enough. They need to big dick this problem and jump straight to 9
I agree with you directionally but the problem is that a hike like you're suggesting would do damage to the economy that would take a generation to un-do. Companies that are low on cash would simply die. The housing market would implode for everyone not buying in all cash. Small businesses would be slaughtered. No one would take out loans to start new businesses. Rents would skyrocket. People would literally be on the street.

The gradual approach is necessary but it could go faster.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
RIP steel industry. I knew they would and will drop the tariffs. Beijing Biden about to start trending.

CLF is such a great company too... Poor stock is about to hit single digits when that shit is solidified.

Steel prices, especially stainless steel prices are completely fucked right now and escalating wildly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Molten Core Raider
I spend enough time playing with metal at home that the delivery driver for the closest metal supplier knows my name and house. A few months ago they were honoring quotes for 2 weeks, which is down from 30 days several years ago. Lately, the quote expires at the end of the day. Ordering metal is sorta like playing the stock market now, no telling what will happen tomorrow!

• 1Truth!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I agree with you directionally but the problem is that a hike like you're suggesting would do damage to the economy that would take a generation to un-do.

We can get there fast or in slow motion. I’d rather get to fixing things now, though I understand why all the bobble heads want to pretend it’s not bad yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
From 0.25 to 5%? That might be enough to get actual deflation in real estate and the stock correction would have been 3x what we have seen so far, it isn't hard to imagine investment banks caught on the wrong side of that being insolvent.
Ok. I dont count Investment banks. Fuck them. Glass-Steagall repeal was always a mistake. GS and MS could go belly up and I woudn't care. Actual lending banks make lots of money on loan interest. For those IBs that bought lending banks, well they will learn to cope.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I agree with you directionally but the problem is that a hike like you're suggesting would do damage to the economy that would take a generation to un-do. Companies that are low on cash would simply die. The housing market would implode for everyone not buying in all cash. Small businesses would be slaughtered. No one would take out loans to start new businesses. Rents would skyrocket. People would literally be on the street.

I disagree. Volcker proved that a giant shock to rates doesn't destroy the economy. Quite the opposite actually. It healed it.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Something's wrong with my Fidelity account, I'm not down today so far...
Its not the power hour yet. Dont jinx it.

"perfectly normal market action"

1652208236529.png

1652208315169.png

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.

The damage caused took from boomers till zoomers. More then a generation to cause it. There is no quick fix here.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
COIN

Look at that EBITDA. Guess we know why the founders sold the shit out of their shares. Remind me again how many shares ARKK owns.

1652213933012.png

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Launch Fail

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
So are we getting the fusion dance version of the dot com bubble of the 90s with the 2008 housing crash?
Shit like this is why I'm still at 90% cash with my IRA. Signs of a very unhealthy economy

• 1Like