Investing General Discussion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Lol, that sounds like the microlending fintech startup my wife briefly worked for, where their chosen growth metric was outstanding customer loans and she was repeatedly instructed to lower the selectivity of their credit-worthiness algorithm because they couldn't find any customers who were actually going to pay them back. "But we have to grow! Lower the standards!" Giant dumpster fire of VC money.

My favorite client of theirs, I shit you not, sold specifically fireproof sex toys.

Wonder where their CFO got their degree. That's insane.
Stanford, apparently. But it was a PhD in economics, so this probably makes sense to him.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Lol, that sounds like the microlending fintech startup my wife briefly worked for, where their chosen growth metric was outstanding customer loans and she was repeatedly instructed to lower the selectivity of their credit-worthiness algorithm because they couldn't find any customers who were actually going to pay them back. "But we have to grow! Lower the standards!" Giant dumpster fire of VC money.

My favorite client of theirs, I shit you not, sold specifically fireproof sex toys.

Stanford, apparently. But it was a PhD in economics, so this probably makes sense to him.

Now is the time to invest in companies that actually make money instead of ones that pretend to make money. 80% of Fintech companies aren't going to be around a year from now and same with a bunch of these apps.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I am assuming they were originating the loans at 3.9% and then selling the collateralized loan back off to some bank almost immediately so the amount of time where they were borrowing at 10+ percent to lend at 3.9 should be measured in days or weeks at most for each individual loan. The alternative is no sale at all because no one is going to buy a car at 10% just because the dealer has shit credit for some reason.

It really isn't crazy at all.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

This is going on all over the "tech" sector and has been since at least wide adoption of smart-phones (2012-2014ish). Companies that are essentially just lighting VC money on fire, hoping to have sales "growth" for just enough quarters to trick some monolith into acquiring them, before the house comes crumbling down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is going on all over the "tech" sector and has been since at least wide adoption of smart-phones (2012-2014ish). Companies that are essentially just lighting VC money on fire, hoping to have sales "growth" for just enough quarters to trick some monolith into acquiring them, before the house comes crumbling down.
Cough, cough (WeWork) cough, cough.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This may be important. What do you do if your the gubmint and you don't like the CPI number? You change the formula to lower it. Don't be surprised if the number comes in lower than it should and the retards, I mean the market, goes buy, buy, buy!

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
This may be important. What do you do if your the gubmint and you don't like the CPI number? You change the formula to lower it. Don't be surprised if the number comes in lower than it should and the retards, I mean the market, goes buy, buy, buy!

Here's what vehicle prices would look like if everyone owned an government subsidized electric car!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So what are we thinking? Fintech is the next tech bust? 95% of them go kaput and the remaining 5% get as big as google and amazon?

Molten Core Raider
USA CPI (YoY) for Apr 8.300% vs 8.100% consensus estimate. The prior reading was 8.500%
USA CPI (MoM) for Apr 0.300% vs 0.200% consensus estimate. The prior reading was 1.200%.
USA Core CPI (YoY) for Apr 6.200% vs 6.000% consensus estimate. The prior reading was 6.500%.
USA Core CPI (MoM) for Apr 0.600% vs 0.400% consensus estimate. The prior reading was 0.300%.

• 1Clown World

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CPI hot (again).

08:30 *(US) APR CPI M/M: 0.3% V 0.2%E; Y/Y: 8.3% V 8.1%E (annual pace moves off four decade highs)
- CPI (ex-food/energy) M/M: 0.6% v 0.4%e; Y/Y: 6.2% v 6.0%e
- CPI Index NSA: 289.10 v 288.715e
- CPI Core Index SA: 290.455 v 289.822e

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
CPI hot (again).

08:30 *(US) APR CPI M/M: 0.3% V 0.2%E; Y/Y: 8.3% V 8.1%E (annual pace moves off four decade highs)
- CPI (ex-food/energy) M/M: 0.6% v 0.4%e; Y/Y: 6.2% v 6.0%e
- CPI Index NSA: 289.10 v 288.715e
- CPI Core Index SA: 290.455 v 289.822e
And that is with the new "recalculated formulas"

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone who buys groceries knows were nowhere even close to single digit inflation but these cpi reports are a fun little mechanism for stealing retails money.

This market is spinning it's wheels so hard, can't get good news for our lives.