Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand this doom and gloom; the US imports around 10% of its "needs;" much less than any other modern industrialized country or even the empires of old. We also have the might to secure any trade route we deem necessary due to our *literally* unmatched naval might. In the world you are talking about there is no more beneficent USA; there is only a naval superpower who takes what it wants and protect what it deems necessary. This is all to the detriment of every other gobal power in a big way. I am not saying that it would be easy, but every other power in your future would fare much, much worse than the USA.
Im only doom and gloom because politicians are gonna take too long to take the right steps to fix this, so we’re heading into a time that will probably rival the Great Recession. And as bad as that was, America came out the other side. Hard to say what the America that comes out the other side this time will be like.

We could veer left and end up a communist perma failed state like Argentina, or we could end up fixing our shit after a painful decade and come out stronger. The only thing that seems very clear is that we’re living in a time of global reordering, and a big part of the world is ready to directly challenge the USA’s time of being a global superpower.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Im only doom and gloom because politicians are gonna take too long to take the right steps to fix this, so we’re heading into a time that will probably rival the Great Recession. And as bad as that was, America came out the other side. Hard to say what the America that comes out the other side this time will be like.

We could veer left and end up a communist perma failed state like Argentina, or we could end up fixing our shit after a painful decade and come out stronger. The only thing that seems very clear is that we’re living in a time of global reordering, and a big part of the world is ready to directly challenge the USA’s time of being a global superpower.

Who, specifically and why would they even have a chance?

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as the great recession.

We were in a bubble due to loose policy and, the bubble is deflating, but ultimately, the US is going to do better than any other major country on earth unless we go ahead and do something stupid. Considering both parties have run out of their normal bag of tricks for dealing with economic crisis, we might actually start doing something smart for once now that we've tried every other option.

• 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

We were in a bubble due to loose policy and, the bubble is deflating, but ultimately, the US is going to do better than any other major country on earth unless we go ahead and do something stupid. Considering both parties have run out of their normal bag of tricks for dealing with economic crisis, we might actually start doing something smart for once now that we've tried every other option.

Like admitting that "green" is a fucking fantasy with wind and solar and that we should heavily invest into nation wide nuclear while increasing oil and natural gas production to bridge the gap? Yeah, didn't think so.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

You’re optimistic on the trying something smart. I’ll agree we have a better chance of righting our ship than a lot of countries because we’ll get to see Europe get hit harder than us first. Im convinced we’ll have politicians feeding cake to us for a while yet. You have to remember the Great Recession wasn’t the end of the world for perspective.

to answer OU Ariakas OU Ariakas they don’t have to do much. We elect our biggest enemies. That said, Russia and China are working together Against us.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
You’re optimistic on the trying something smart. I’ll agree we have a better chance of righting our ship than a lot of countries because we’ll get to see Europe get hit harder than us first. Im convinced we’ll have politicians feeding cake to us for a while yet. You have to remember the Great Recession wasn’t the end of the world for perspective.

to answer OU Ariakas OU Ariakas they don’t have to do much. We elect our biggest enemies. That said, Russia and China are working together Against us.

Russia and China are import led economies; how do they get their vital food, energy, and raw material imports in this new non-global world?

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
RUSSIA needs to import food, energy, and raw materials? WTF are you talking about?

We are talking about two countries, not just one. Russia may not need the energy, but China sure does. The two of them together still cannot maintain the global alliance especially when there is an adversarial USA in the picture.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
We are talking about two countries, not just one. Russia may not need the energy, but China sure does. The two of them together still cannot maintain the global alliance especially when there is an adversarial USA in the picture.
Actually it's 4 countries in play, Russia, China, India, and Iran. That's a majority of the world's resources, and a majority of the world's people. That alliance would be entirely self sufficient, and there's very little the US can do if they all decide to abandon the dollar, the IMF and SWIFT.

At least keep this about dollar policy to keep the discussion somewhat related to the thread, please.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Actually it's 4 countries in play, Russia, China, India, and Iran. That's a majority of the world's resources, and a majority of the world's people. That alliance would be entirely self sufficient, and there's very little the US can do if they all decide to abandon the dollar, the IMF and SWIFT.

At least keep this about dollar policy to keep the discussion somewhat related to the thread, please.

It is absolutely linked; if those four countries abandoned the dollar policy tomorrow, how long would this new union with their own currency take to become self sufficient? Could they even work together enough to make it work with all of those power dynamics? And after all of that, do you think that in this scenario the dollar goes to 0 the day it is announced and the USA does nothing to try and regroup the rest of the world, blockade those 4, and force this into a war of attrition?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

100 basis points is "extreme". Fucktards.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Oooo…why’d I check the account today…

1655149087465.gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Stocks doing anything interesting?

Picked a heck of a time to take a mill out of markets and put into my house this year. My retirement assets getting pummeled , haven't even looked at it. SUre hope this doesn't recover until I can get settlement cash from selling old house to put it into the market.

First big decline in sooo long that I haven't been glued to the ebb and flow, completely missing the fun of this one. Be sure to star some of the best doom and gloom posts and articles so we can revive them with S&P a thousand pts higher so we can have a chuckle.

• 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Mic Drop

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Stocks doing anything interesting?

Picked a heck of a time to take a mill out of markets and put into my house this year. My retirement assets getting pummeled , haven't even looked at it. SUre hope this doesn't recover until I can get settlement cash from selling old house to put it into the market.

First big decline in sooo long that I haven't been glued to the ebb and flow, completely missing the fun of this one. Be sure to star some of the best doom and gloom posts and articles so we can revive them with S&P a thousand pts higher so we can have a chuckle.
Its red. There really isnt anything more you need to know.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Crypto is getting omegarekt and some doomers are saying it will bring everything down. Its mildly interesting.

• 1Like