Investing General Discussion

Molten Core Raider
WMT from 130ish to low 120s after hours, on guidance cut.
wmt.jpg

• 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have my fidelity account set up already, ready to drop 60-100k and let it ride for 20 years.

Is there certain flavor twists on the S&P 500 worth considering. Or is vanilla straight still thought to be simplest safest long term place to plunk it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Have my fidelity account set up already, ready to drop 60-100k and let it ride for 20 years.

Is there certain flavor twists on the S&P 500 worth considering. Or is vanilla straight still thought to be simplest safest long term place to plunk it.
S&P500 is still the gold standard of set and forget investing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Looking specifically at Fidelity Index funds, these are the 3 I would go with right now:

20% 50% 30%

• 2Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any leveraged etf will have decay so i wouldn't touch any of that shit with a 20 year hold.

I personally wouldn't be plunking down anything until Biden is out of office if you're thinking long term, lots of bank shenanigans going on in China that seems to be escaping Western news.

Knowing a politician, the answer to any issue is throwing more tax payer money at the problem and in this case, any damage to the dollar might have catastrophic consequences for inflation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Any leveraged etf will have decay so i wouldn't touch any of that shit with a 20 year hold.

I personally wouldn't be plunking down anything until Biden is out of office if you're thinking long term, lots of bank shenanigans going on in China that seems to be escaping Western news.

Knowing a politician, the answer to any issue is throwing more tax payer money at the problem and in this case, any damage to the dollar might have catastrophic consequences for inflation.
I mean i liked the idea of waiting for a bottom, but I'm barely even a casual investor with no tone or at least no mind for it so i lean towards mantra time in market vs timing the market.

I mean sitting on house sale money watching it inflate away into less value doesn't seem great either

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I personally wouldn't be plunking down anything until Biden
This is how people always fuck themselves out of gains, no matter which party is in power.

That said, if you really think the market is going to continue to tank for the rest of this presidency, which is possible but not likely, you can always dollar cost average and put 1k in every week for the next 100 weeks, that way if it does keep going lower, you will dollar-cost-average down.

Just make sure you're maxing your 401k.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I mean i liked the idea of waiting for a bottom, but I'm barely even a casual investor with no tone or at least no mind for it so i lean towards mantra time in market vs timing the market.

I mean sitting on house sale money watching it inflate away into less value doesn't seem great either
There’s plenty of solid funds that aren’t bad and can be reasonable to hold if you want to specialize or diversify. That said, if you just go 100% S&P you aren’t doing it wrong either.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

With a 20yr time horizon picking bottoms is a waste of time. Nothing wrong with dollar cost avg if you want but studies show even that loses to just dumping it in. Time in the market wins every time.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would say in 20 years we will probably have another 8 market crashes or more if the timeline holds up, seems like they are accelerating as clown world starts to take hold.

I would wager now is probably not even close to the bottom of the next monkeypox bataids anthrax vaccine. So many opportunities with a 20 year timeline, this sell off seems weak.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Jonesing

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Weds if Fed day. That means lots of possible volatility. This week is also Big Tech earnings. Waiting until Monday wouldn't be the worst idea. It also won't matter over 20 years if you buy in tomorrow.

SPY doesn't have a mechanism for dividend reinvestment so I would go with IVV instead. Don't get fancy mixing various funds. I would either go all IVV or half IVV and half QQQ.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like total market over strictly S&P 500. That way you get all the small and mid caps that it misses. But in the end it probably matters very little.

ShakyJake

<Donor>

Gold and uranium mining ETFs.

Sludig

With a 20yr time horizon picking bottoms is a waste of time. Nothing wrong with dollar cost avg if you want but studies show even that loses to just dumping it in. Time in the market wins every time.
Number out of my ass, might be longer, in fact should be given i'm 36. Goal this year is to max 401k hopefully. Just was a circus this last year and still is but at least we have money to allocate around.

Have 200k actually, had thought about putting 100 market, 100 on house to eliminate pmi and save the 5% interest on a 30 year. Opinion? Good diversify for guaranteed return even if less than inflation? Or like recent comments in home buyer, a waste since paying it off slowly with normal payments theoretically is with money that's becoming worth less and less?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Number out of my ass, might be longer, in fact should be given i'm 36. Goal this year is to max 401k hopefully. Just was a circus this last year and still is but at least we have money to allocate around.

Have 200k actually, had thought about putting 100 market, 100 on house to eliminate pmi and save the 5% interest on a 30 year. Opinion? Good diversify for guaranteed return even if less than inflation? Or like recent comments in home buyer, a waste since paying it off slowly with normal payments theoretically is with money that's becoming worth less and less?
It’s not the mathematical answer to lower house debt but I am always partial to less debt . I believe there are intangible benefits of living debt free. I don’t think you are going wrong with either choice though.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users