Investing General Discussion

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
China locked down an area where a major Foxconn factory is on Sunday/Monday. Reuters reported that it may decrease IPhone production by 30% for the month, quite possibly the most important month out of the year.

Maybe big money took a few days of investigations to see how bad the lockdowns really were and are now liquidating?

There was also a [paywall] Bloomberg story I saw earlier in the week, that may have had some more info, if you would rather read their reporting (and want to go look for it).

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe, maybe not? Apple themselves have talked about scaling back iPhone 14 production due to low demand for weeks now.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe, maybe not? Apple themselves have talked about scaling back iPhone 14 production due to low demand for weeks now.

I went from an 11 Pro to a 14 Pro and there’s zero difference. It even seems to run hotter.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went from a 10XS Max (basically a 10 Pro Max in today's terms) to a 14 Pro Max and there is a very noticeable difference to me. Screen refresh rate while scrolling is smooth as butter. The battery seems to last quite a bit longer with my avg daily use. The camera in dark environments is absolutely astonishingly better.

For clarification on the demand: The 14 Pros are in good demand. The regular 14 is being scaled down due to lack of demand. Which, shouldnt come as a surprise as it carries over the same CPU from last gen and very little changes. Apple wanted to upsell to the Pro phones. How that pans out is yet to be determined.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I may be jinxing it, but things seem to be going green today. Maybe we've actually bounced this time?

Conspiracy types say the market is going to be manipulated up just in time for election day followed by an immediate crash. I don't think I buy that theory since it seems too difficult to manipulate the market that directly even if you're Janet Powell, but who knows?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I may be jinxing it, but things seem to be going green today. Maybe we've actually bounced this time?

Conspiracy types say the market is going to be manipulated up just in time for election day followed by an immediate crash. I don't think I buy that theory since it seems too difficult to manipulate the market that directly even if you're Janet Powell, but who knows?
There's really not enough time for it to go up any significant amount. Still down over 3% just in the last 30 days.

You'd probably need a 10% move up to look okay (brings you to the levels in August). But even then it's still going to be down a shit ton YTD.

• 1Solidarity

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

If powel wanted to do that he could have just hiked by his .75 and then come out mega dovish in the comments and markets would have soared but he didn’t do that.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I went from an 11 Pro to a 14 Pro and there’s zero difference. It even seems to run hotter.
I see this as a sign of the problems hitting the entire mobile phone market. Until there's another big leap forward in technology there will be more and more people realizing that their old phone can keep on truckin. With at most needing a $50 visit to a cel phone shop to slap in a new battery after a few years.

They have been riding the train of having updated software features masquerading as new phone features for a while and that's drying up. And not many people have much need for an even higher resolution camera on their phone. Few people want a bigger screen... I don't know anybody who needs more storage space on their device....

Want to see a huge jump? Find the next big leap forward in battery technology or reduced power consumption so people can have an "I only need to charge it once a week" phone.

• 1Truth!

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I see this as a sign of the problems hitting the entire mobile phone market. Until there's another big leap forward in technology there will be more and more people realizing that their old phone can keep on truckin. With at most needing a $50 visit to a cel phone shop to slap in a new battery after a few years.

They have been riding the train of having updated software features masquerading as new phone features for a while and that's drying up. And not many people have much need for an even higher resolution camera on their phone. Few people want a bigger screen... I don't know anybody who needs more storage space on their device....

Want to see a huge jump? Find the next big leap forward in battery technology or reduced power consumption so people can have an "I only need to charge it once a week" phone.
I remember when that same upgrade train ended for laptops. The limited number of people who actually game and push the hardware got too small once the leaps started to be 10% better per year rather than 50%.

also a very easy thing to cut back on in a recession. 07 was tough for laptops and it never really came back.

• 2Truth!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
My advice is to ask some specific questions here.

Honestly, the only thing I really want to know is:

1. How are the midterms going to play out and
2. How will the results affect the market both immediately and long-term.

I don't think there are charts for that

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
China is not going to sell off all of their US treasuries at one time because it is a fucking horrible deal for them to do it. Right now they have $1.3T in bonds that we are paying them to hold them until they expire, then they will their principal back. If they put their 1.3T on the market right now they would lose that income stream AND have to take a haircut on the face value of the bond because no one is going to pay them full price for an old bond with a lower coupon rate and a shorter repayment period. So could they do it to "stick it to the USA"? Yes, but it would cost them a shit ton of money that they probably don't have and the USA wouldn't eat that cost......the new owner of the bond may just not buy newer bonds if they are satisfied with the amount they hold. The reason that it would put upward pressure on rates is that the USA would then need to entice bond buyers that a higher rate on a new bond is more attractive than a lower rate on a fire-sale old bond.

Here's the thing; a ton of bonds are held by the US public and private markets. If China puts on a fire sale on their stockpile then there is a high likelihood that it will be purchased at a steep discount by investors looking to make profit.
Right, this is why the "China's going to call in our debt" argument never made the tiniest bit of sense. Treasuries don't work that way.

Everyone wants to buy our debt right now, at least short term debt. It's safe and gives a great return.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Honestly, the only thing I really want to know is:

1. How are the midterms going to play out and
2. How will the results affect the market both immediately and long-term.

I don't think there are charts for that
There are charts for everything. You can start here:

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I went from a 10XS Max (basically a 10 Pro Max in today's terms) to a 14 Pro Max and there is a very noticeable difference to me. Screen refresh rate while scrolling is smooth as butter. The battery seems to last quite a bit longer with my avg daily use. The camera in dark environments is absolutely astonishingly better.

For clarification on the demand: The 14 Pros are in good demand. The regular 14 is being scaled down due to lack of demand. Which, shouldnt come as a surprise as it carries over the same CPU from last gen and very little changes. Apple wanted to upsell to the Pro phones. How that pans out is yet to be determined.
4 years is how long I keep my phones as well.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are charts for everything. You can start here:

Not if the Fed has anything to say about it!

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
4 years is how long I keep my phones as well.
If it wasn't for ATT refusing to allow my OnePlus 3 to connect to their network, I would still be using it today. I think it was 6 or 7 years old when it went obsolete due to ATT dropping 3G coverage.