Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure the market rallies either way in the shortrun as long as there isn't some huge clusterfuck.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The markets will either go up, or they will go down. I am 100% certain they will not be flat and end with no movement. You can take this to the bank.

• 1Blown
Reactions: 1 user

Molten Core Raider
I can hone Sanriths prediction slightly. Anything I buy will go down, anything I do not buy, or sell, will go up. I am 100% certain nothing I hold will go green, you can take this to the bank.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How's the saying go, give a price, or give a date, but never give both.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can hone Sanriths prediction slightly. Anything I buy will go down, anything I do not buy, or sell, will go up. I am 100% certain nothing I hold will go green, you can take this to the bank.
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• 1Like

Molten Core Raider
Sadly, this is the way. The good news is, I have figured out a way to leverage my incredibly poor ability to pick stocks. So here is what I do. In fact it is convenient I have Sanrith here, since I was about to contact him anyways.

I go on whatever social media site has traffic, find a user who seems to be invested in the stock I hold (by stock, I mostly mean red bag and by invested I mostly mean is losing more money than my net worth). I then contact them and provide proof that I am in fact holding the same "investment". I offer to sell my investment at a loss, (plus my cost basis, plus 100 bucks.) (which basically guarantees a rally, and offers the mark a chance at eventually recouping their investment.) If they refuse, I threaten to buy more. effectively putting them in the position of A. being a smart trader, and cutting losses, or B. holding and agreeing to my terms.

This didnt work very well initially, but I suspect that my reputation eventually got around stock twits, and it seems to be succeeding more often lately. Or maybe people are just desperate.

Anyways. One has to work with the talents God gave them.

PS. Mist, you holding INTC? If so, expect a PM soon.

Proof of holding(s) included for Sanrith.

palantir.jpg

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sadly, this is the way. The good news is, I have figured out a way to leverage my incredibly poor ability to pick stocks. So here is what I do. In fact it is convenient I have Sanrith here, since I was about to contact him anyways.

I go on whatever social media site has traffic, find a user who seems to be invested in the stock I hold (by stock, I mostly mean red bag and by invested I mostly mean is losing more money than my net worth). I then contact them and provide proof that I am in fact holding the same "investment". I offer to sell my investment at a loss, (plus my cost basis, plus 100 bucks.) (which basically guarantees a rally, and offers the mark a chance at eventually recouping their investment.) If they refuse, I threaten to buy more. effectively putting them in the position of A. being a smart trader, and cutting losses, or B. holding and agreeing to my terms.

This didnt work very well initially, but I suspect that my reputation eventually got around stock twits, and it seems to be succeeding more often lately. Or maybe people are just desperate.

Anyways. One has to work with the talents God gave them.

PS. Mist, you holding INTC? If so, expect a PM soon.

Proof of holding(s) included for Sanrith.

View attachment 441718
You are only down 4.5% in PLTR? Them are some rookie numbers boy.

200.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Hey guys. Wonder if someone can give me a few pointers on where to start on resources for doing some direct investing. The wife and I have fully funded 401ks that are in pretty good shape, a 529 for the kiddos that is on track, low APR 15-year loan on the house which is worth about $1M more than I paid for it (waterfront in desirable area- lots of people want this area for remote work), IRA, etc. And, I normally keep about 50-100k in savings projects, emergencies, etc.

So, I think I am a position where I can take some of that savings and investing it under my direct control. Thinking about starting with 10k to maybe ladder up on treasuries (or I bonds) and another 10k to put into some stocks.

1) Is this dumb?

2) Figured I would use treasurydirect.gov for short-term tbills to stay fairly liquid. As far as stocks go, where and how to start online trading? Years ago, I dabbled in eTrade. What do you guys recommend that has a good mix of research tools, ease of use, good value?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hey guys. Wonder if someone can give me a few pointers on where to start on resources for doing some direct investing. The wife and I have fully funded 401ks that are in pretty good shape, a 529 for the kiddos that is on track, low APR 15-year loan on the house which is worth about $1M more than I paid for it (waterfront in desirable area- lots of people want this area for remote work), IRA, etc. And, I normally keep about 50-100k in savings projects, emergencies, etc.

So, I think I am a position where I can take some of that savings and investing it under my direct control. Thinking about starting with 10k to maybe ladder up on treasuries (or I bonds) and another 10k to put into some stocks.

1) Is this dumb?

2) Figured I would use treasurydirect.gov for short-term tbills to stay fairly liquid. As far as stocks go, where and how to start online trading? Years ago, I dabbled in eTrade. What do you guys recommend that has a good mix of research tools, ease of use, good value?
Unless you have the time and inclination to research individual stocks, stick to index ETFs .

IVV is a favorite for the S&P 500
ITOT does the total market.

Both have net fees of 03 basis points.

The only reason to choose IVV over SPY is SPY wasnt designed to accomodate dividend reinvestment.

Edit: see who houses your 401ks. If its Fidelity or another big player yoi already have an account there so aetting up a brokerage account takes seconds.

Fidelity and TD have solid platforms and tools.

Ps.. i dumped TD because their parent company was involved in locking Canadian out of their banks for protesting. So they can suck my dick. But the platform is good.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes

Can you elaborate on:
"The only reason to choose IVV over SPY is SPY wasnt designed to accomodate dividend reinvestment."

I ask because I have SPY in my self-managed 401k and I get DRIP shares quarterly (Fidelity broker).

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes

Can you elaborate on:
"The only reason to choose IVV over SPY is SPY wasnt designed to accomodate dividend reinvestment."

I ask because I have SPY in my self-managed 401k and I get DRIP shares quarterly (Fidelity broker).
I was under the impression form years ago that it could not dividend reinvest because it wasnt originally designed for retail investors. Let me look and circle back.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
To the best of my knowledge the answer is no.

SPY

1667920225779.png

1667920319557.png

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The above being said, I never really dug beyond the answer is no. Perhaps those are older articles or just incorrect.