Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My gut would've said we hit 3200 by the end of the year, but we've just run out of time. January is going to be a bloodbath.
I'm not so sure January continues the bleeding. It certainly might, but I am not there yet. Inflation is appearing to peak as interest rates are doing the job. The markets desperately want some good news. If we actually get some I can see a wave of buyers jumping in.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not so sure January continues the bleeding. It certainly might, but I am not there yet. Inflation is appearing to peak as interest rates are doing the job. The markets desperately want some good news. If we actually get some I can see a wave of buyers jumping in.
I figured the lower CPI number would've done it and we've been in a downward slide ever since.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AAPL
This is what passes for "professional financial advice".

"This is a low and a good place to buy. It might not hold though and it could go lower. But, there is chance it won't fall down this low either".

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had the exact opposite read, put about $350k to work yesterday
I was just about to come reply to my post making fun of my shitty prediction. Luckily I hedged and was adding very small bits of cash the last couple of days.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Why max 401k? Does your business not match? You give up free matching money if you do that at my job, as matching stops once you max.

Roth I’ll max day one like always.

Employer contributions can take you past the max.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Employer contributions can take you past the max.
The max only applies to your contribution, I know that. At least for the government, if you contribute 0$ in a pay period for whatever reason, including that you maxed out your contribution earlier in the year, they will match your contribution of 0$ in that pay period, so you miss out on the 4% match and only get the 1% that is non-matching. So you want to make sure you at least contribute your matching amount (5% for feds) for every pay period of the year. That's why I just take the maximum contribution for the year and divide it by pay periods, and set my contribution to be that every month to keep things simple. This year it's set to 865$ a pay period.

I know blazin came in and said this is unpossible and nobody does this, but a lot of companies just copy Fed policy for everything, so at the very least this also applies to 10s of millions of people. If you don't look at your company's policy and plan accordingly, you may be throwing thousands of dollars in the trash for no reason. This confirms what I've said, and is basically why you should make sure you should take the time to do your due diligence. TSP is the fed version of 401k, and all of the same rules apply to both.

Don't Lose Out on TSP Matching Funds

.... If you reach the maximum TSP contribution limit before the end of the year, finance will automatically stop your TSP deduction. And, without your monthly contribution, there will be no DoD matching contribution. That's right: Once your TSP contributions reach the annual maximum contribution limit, finance will stop them. That means that the matching funds will stop.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My last ten days of activity:

1672328929253.png

• 1To the Moon!
  • 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So can losses offset your dividend gains or not? Because I've got an extra 3k in dividend gains I could counteract by selling more stuff.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So can losses offset your dividend gains or not? Because I've got an extra 3k in dividend gains I could counteract by selling more stuff.
Assuming it is a taxable account, you show both gains and losses on your various 1099 forms.