Investing General Discussion

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Tempted to dump my play account tomorrow and buy a pound of gold
Just my 2 cents on this, make sure its physical. If you're in a situation where gold is actually useful and all you have is an IOU then you're fucked. Plenty would prolly say that is paranoid though.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Just my 2 cents on this, make sure its physical. If you're in a situation where gold is actually useful and all you have is an IOU then you're fucked. Plenty would prolly say that is paranoid though.
Get the bars, baby. Whats the difference between a piece of paper currency and a piece of paper saying you own gold? Answer : none.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Get the bars, baby. Whats the difference between a piece of paper currency and a piece of paper saying you own gold? Answer : none.

The premium on physical right now is insane.

Its one of the reasons its so appealing. Spot has nothing to do with market cost.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Anti American sentiment just killed TSLA in China.

Sold off what I have. Thinking about going completely cash, and waiting for real estate later this year.

Was listening to some guys last night, and they were talking about short term deflationary causes vs long term inflationary actions etc.

I know you guys, the 2 or 3 ppl here that are savy, have been talking about volatility indicators, bull / bear indicators etc . . . My thing is, how the hell does 30 million jobs lost, -30% GDP, and a green stock market stay healthy over the next year or 2?

In my econ 101 brain, that screams inflation. Which means get your hands on physical items asap. Bullion, land, homes, etc. But none of you guys are making moves towards that.

Am I nuts, ignorant, a combo? . . .

Fuk it, going to take our 2 go to's

Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes Blazin Blazin

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'm already invested enough into physical, and yes everyone should be diversified and include physical/real assets. I think thats all anyone can do , diversify.

I just looked at AMC, up 45 percent today. I've seen HUGE swings with it. Sure you can make a ton of money that way but then again you "can" make a ton of money in vegas too.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm already invested enough into physical, and yes everyone should be diversified and include physical/real assets. I think thats all anyone can do , diversify.

I get that. But with the GDP / unemployment, why arent we seeing ppl like our 2 pros moving heavily into things geared for a massive recession / depression?

Is it just "Dont fight the Fed"?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I get that. But with the GDP / unemployment, why arent we seeing ppl like our 2 pros moving heavily into things geared for a massive recession / depression?

Is it just "Dont fight the Fed"?

I think the logic here is more like Sanrith said. The market rally is being driven by FAANG/Big tech who have shown that 20M+ unemployment do not really effect them. Despite the fact that you'd think 20M+ unemployed would be a massive blow to the economy.

Compounded by Mr. Powell blowing a trillion bucks in 30 days.

I'm staying in. I'll buy some more this week. But I am prepared if it plummets and I really hope it does.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Diversity is definitely good, but for me my property, truck, and collection of guns is enough physical assets. I just can't forsee a future where I have use for gold, so never bought any.

TSLA had a lot of bad news recently, so stonk probably end up for the week. The inflation question is incredibly complex. I don't think anyone has a grasp on what the future holds, but EURO zone appears to be further down the rabbit hole. There might be an indicator that comes early out of there, but the economies are so tied it won't be much. Inflation is more likely, but the threat of deflation should be taken seriously with lots of money taken out of the economy with more unemployed.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
This my philosophy. Feel free to take it for what it's worth. At this point the average retail investor (us) needs to ask your self some serious questions. Do you feel our economy is destroyed and won't recover? If yes. Then buy guns, ammo, food, and gold. If you think the economy is hurt but will recover with the assistance of the full might of the Fed printing press then you have to ask more questions.

Is the fed printing press bad for our economy and country long term? Yeah, most likely. But define long term for yourself. In business, long term is more than 1 business cycle (more than a year). I would say that right now and until November we have a Fed and a WH that are going to do anything to recover the economy. Predicting beyond Nov is almost impossible.

So we have a six month window we can predict somewhat. Its accommodating. Our economy isn't dead. Its hurt. But not all sectors are hurt the same. Tech and Healthcare aren't going away anytime soon. Service/discretionary might not be so lucky.

What I am trying to say is that we don't know the end answer and trying to use the past doesn't work. Keynes said stagflation wasn't possible under his model. And then the 70's rolled around. He was wrong. Every expert and model is right... untilnits wrong. If you believe our society isn't going extinct then you need to be having your cash working for you. The question is where. Tech and Healthcare are pricey right now. Service is cheap. Financials are cheap right now.

I can only tell you what I am doing. Going long names I have full faith in being around 5 years from now. This includes govt contractors. MSFT, AAPL, UNH, V, ABBV, LMT, RTX, GD, XOM among others. I am also willing to make small bets with limited downside but homerun potential in tech and healthcare. I bought Jan '21 calls on VTIQ. It is doing a reverse merger with Nikola who makes over-the-road hydrogen fueled trucks. If it misses I lose small. If it hits I win big. The power of options.

I personally am not betting against the US economy and the Fed right now. If I'm wrong, well I already own a shotgun and lots of ammo. I like to hedge 😀

Ps.. all of the above need to be understood within the confines that bad investments are still bad even in a good economy. The core of your portfolio needs to be quality. Blue chips and indexes (IVV/SPY, QQQ, SPYG etc)

• 4Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I should have added. Things I would avoid with the core/bulk of a portfolio...
Debt holders - peeps like banks and Amex. Some banks have more diversity than others in their exposure. I am long JPM only because of their diverse portfolio in investment banking to offset their lending default exposure. If I wasn't long with them early on, I would probably pass on them today.
Service industry - theaters, cruises, airlines, hotels etc. You cant accurately model their risk of bankruptcy.
High div yield payers. With about a handful of exceptions I don't consider any dividend safe right now.
Everything else I will look for quality to be found on the cheap.

Ps.. the DOW 30 isn't a bad place to start looking. I am willing to own at least 20 of them and I do own at least 10.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I guess amazon is looking to buy AMC? Huh? Is this just more Chinese trickery?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I guess amazon is looking to buy AMC? Huh? Is this just more Chinese trickery?
I tried finding a single reason for this rumor that benefits AMZN and can't find a one. Probably just a rumor to pump the stock. If you check out insider trading when the papers get filed you will probably find someone dump shares on the news.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And... we're green on all 3 indexes.
2f0.png

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If you are rooting for lower prices then it needs to fail right here at this level for a technical breakdown of a double top failure at 200 day ema.

Capture.JPG

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you are rooting for lower prices then it needs to fail right here at this level for a technical breakdown of a double top failure at 200 day ema.

View attachment 269455

Yeah I already started buying back in with my remaining cash. Oh well. Made a ton of excellent buys. Very happy about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Sold off what I have. Thinking about going completely cash, and waiting for real estate later this year.

Was listening to some guys last night, and they were talking about short term deflationary causes vs long term inflationary actions etc.

I know you guys, the 2 or 3 ppl here that are savy, have been talking about volatility indicators, bull / bear indicators etc . . . My thing is, how the hell does 30 million jobs lost, -30% GDP, and a green stock market stay healthy over the next year or 2?

In my econ 101 brain, that screams inflation. Which means get your hands on physical items asap. Bullion, land, homes, etc. But none of you guys are making moves towards that.

Am I nuts, ignorant, a combo? . . .

Fuk it, going to take our 2 go to's

Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes Blazin Blazin
In order for gold to make you rich, you really need to have a world ending situation, I think most people don't expect that. Personnaly, I believe there is a strong possibility that over 2 years, it's going to make the western world stronger than before, as it's going to hasten its reindustrialization. I don't see anyone betting on emerging market, China, Africa or whatever... people are buying western world stock, and possibly Japan, Korea, Taiwan...

If you believe in inflation, you really shouldn't be holding cash. Maybe inflation on consumers good isn't going to be super crazy, but there is a real risk of inflation on the housing market and stockmarket to keep going on, as the BCE and Fed keep loaning money for free, or worse, going back to negative interest rates. So, if you believe it's bad, but in 18 months it's going to be behind us, you defintely want to have your money in housing or the stockmarket, as timing gold might prove difficult.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
In order for gold to make you rich, you really need to have a world ending situation, I think most people don't expect that. Personnaly, I believe there is a strong possibility that over 2 years, it's going to make the western world stronger than before, as it's going to hasten its reindustrialization. I don't see anyone betting on emerging market, China, Africa or whatever... people are buying western world stock, and possibly Japan, Korea, Taiwan...

If you believe in inflation, you really shouldn't be holding cash. Maybe inflation on consumers good isn't going to be super crazy, but there is a real risk of inflation on the housing market and stockmarket to keep going on, as the BCE and Fed keep loaning money for free, or worse, going back to negative interest rates. So, if you believe it's bad, but in 18 months it's going to be behind us, you defintely want to have your money in housing or the stockmarket, as timing gold might prove difficult.

Well, just sold my real estate.

There SHOULD be a lot of foreclosures etc over the next year or two. So hoping to get back in closer to where I live and cheaper.