Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Exactly. Two weeks ago they were smugly telling you you were an idiot if you expected anything different, then without any self awareness whatsoever, they change their tune 180 degrees and you're still an idiot for expecting anything different (including what they told you last week)

if people just admitted the truth - that its fucking roulette and they were guessing black instead of red - it'd be nice
And this is why some of the most successful investors buy index funds and just hold them forever.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
if reading this thread over the last year taught me anything its that everyone loses money, not sure what kind of correlation we can make with that

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
if reading this thread over the last year taught me anything its that everyone loses money, not sure what kind of correlation we can make with that
If your time window is only a year than yeah, everyone was a loser. Bear markets have that effect.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So does everyone on the entire internet.
I am an expert on the internet and I concur.

As far as investing, I've basically been in index funds for 30 years and have zero complaints. Every time I've tried to be cute I get burned. I did an econ undergrad and MBA and I know exactly enough to really fuck things up if I let myself pretend I know what I'm doing.

• 2Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If your time window is only a year than yeah, everyone was a loser. Bear markets have that effect.
Speak for yourself !

excited leonardo dicaprio GIF

• 2Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am an expert on the internet and I concur.

As far as investing, I've basically been in index funds for 30 years and have zero complaints. Every time I've tried to be cute I get burned. I did an econ undergrad and MBA and I know exactly enough to really fuck things up if I let myself pretend I know what I'm doing.
Unless you are a degenerate day-trader like Jysin Jysin , index funds should be the core backbone of any portfolio. Over the long haul they just dont get beat. While I have bought and sold individual stocks outside my index funds, I have never sold my indexes. All I ever do is add to them.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
how about if your time frame is 11 months? 2022 was very good to me until motherfucking December rolled around

12 months is such an arbitrary number. I like 11 better. it lets me pretend that I'll replace my losses somehow over the next 11 months!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I rareIy talk about my strategies here for a reason. For probably 95%+ members that actively post in this thread, I would only ever endorse index investing or at best, swing trades at extreme price action. Day trading is a full time job and takes years of pain and losses. Most simply blow up accounts in the learning phase. I have posted from time to time when have seen opportunities. And warned others with charting & technical analysis when I thought their expressed bias may need reconsidering. (hi Shonuff)

Funny thing is, I rarely post elsewhere on the forum anymore. I just like the back and forth here and value Blazin Blazin and Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes viewpoints.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users