Investing General Discussion

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider

Still bullish on Roku long term.

curious as to why on Roku. I have a few because they were cheap and worked on lots of TVs I used to have, but any modern TV supports direct apps and Wi-Fi.

I know I could do my own research, but I’d rather just ask on the forum…what is their future business model?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
curious as to why on Roku. I have a few because they were cheap and worked on lots of TVs I used to have, but any modern TV supports direct apps and Wi-Fi.

I know I could do my own research, but I’d rather just ask on the forum…what is their future business model?

I honestly have no clue why roku exists anymore, probably just my media experience bubble talking though

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I honestly have no clue why roku exists anymore, probably just my media experience bubble talking though
Because it's got powerful, cheap hardware with its own OS that is designed as a TV player first and a marketplace/advertising platform second, rather than all the other ones that have those priorities flipped around.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Because it's got powerful, cheap hardware with its own OS that is designed as a TV player first and a marketplace/advertising platform second, rather than all the other ones that have those priorities flipped around.

Ya sure that's great, I had one, but now, like was said, that's all just built into tv's. Just grab the apps your subscribed too, throw on amazon to buy what you need, and done - works the same? Maybe i'm missing something but all my shit is easy peasy and our tv entertainment needs are want for nothing

edit: just doing a quick google on rokus vs smart tvs leads me back to why does this exist - I really must be missing something or people just like the roku os that much better

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ya sure that's great, I had one, but now, like was said, that's all just built into tv's. Just grab the apps your subscribed too, throw on amazon to buy what you need, and done - works the same? Maybe i'm missing something but all my shit is easy peasy and our tv entertainment needs are want for nothing
Well most people think the Samsung and LG TV OSes suck dick.

The only good TV OSes are the TVs that have Roku or Android built in as their OS.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well most people think the Samsung and LG TV OSes suck dick.

The only good TV OSes are the TVs that have Roku or Android built in as their OS.

Maybe i'm just simpleton kiroy cause I just use the LG os on my 5 year old smarttv and it's fine. I get to all my shit lickety split. The thought of putting another layer on that just makes me clint eastwood cringe

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe i'm just simpleton kiroy cause I just use the LG os on my 5 year old smarttv and it's fine. I get to all my shit lickety split. The thought of putting another layer on that just makes me clint eastwood cringe
Well the other thing is that Samsung and LG OSes have both been found to be spying/listening on their own users and Roku has not. Samsung's privacy and security is particularly atrocious but LG is not much better.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well the other thing is that Samsung and LG OSes have both been found to be spying/listening on their own users and Roku has not.

even if you get the roku isn't your tv still listening, what difference does that make?

Burns

My parents watch a lot of live TV, including sports, through HULU (the cheapest service that had CBS for a long time). The Roku stick is the only OS that doesn't constantly fuck up for them (using Fiber internet on a non-smart TV).

I had them buy Amazon sticks at first and, numerous times a week, HULU would go out of sync within an hour and hitch when they are watching live (often during football games, I think). So, I gave them my second gen NVidia Shield for a few months, and the same thing was happening. Then the newest gen Amazon cube came out (with the best specs for the money), so I had them get one of those, still the same problems.

Eventually, they wanted to try some app that only worked on Roku, so they went ahead and got one of those and boom, HULU works flawlessly in live.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sold a third of my AAPL yesterday at $155.25
AAPL had grown to 15% of my portfolio (counting the weight of FTEC) and needed trimmed back.

• 2Tendies

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Exactly. Two weeks ago they were smugly telling you you were an idiot if you expected anything different, then without any self awareness whatsoever, they change their tune 180 degrees and you're still an idiot for expecting anything different (including what they told you last week)

if people just admitted the truth - that its fucking roulette and they were guessing black instead of red - it'd be nice

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
But these people represent themselves as experts.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

• 1Like