Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm a bit concerned about this. The company I work for (and own a sizable bucket of stock in) has been one of those rallying very nicely. No reason to think that fundamentals are going to go south on us, but I am concerned a "sinking tide sinks all ships" factor is going to beat my nice little next egg of company RSU's into the dirt.
It's the way it works. Rebalances are a necessary evil.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
It's the way it works. Rebalances are a necessary evil.
Oh, I know... I'm just really enjoying the land of "there's a better than 50/50 we set a new ATH today"

We were on a week streak of green candle days, and only barely went to a red candle today, but it was on massive volume. Which I'm still trying to figure out the volume reason... Other than we crossed some automated trading magical line in the sand to cause some profit taking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm a bit concerned about this. The company I work for (and own a sizable bucket of stock in) has been one of those rallying very nicely. No reason to think that fundamentals are going to go south on us, but I am concerned a "sinking tide sinks all ships" factor is going to beat my nice little next egg of company RSU's into the dirt.
Nobody smart wants to sit on a pile of cash in this economy.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Most of the dividend ETFs will have very small stock price appreciation and focus the returns on the dividends. I have a position of HDV in my mom's, portfolio (among others like JEPI). It's very, very low beta and keeps Capital intact. It pays like 3-3.5% last time I checked it (which was admittedly not recently).

PFF is another option. It's a preferred shares ETF that used to run in around 4.5% div yield. And of course there is JEPI.
It's for my Roth in this case. 4.5 isn't bad, but that's currently what the money market cash is yielding. JEPI might be the play here...

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 08-49-34 Home _ Twitter.png

Last edited:
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Worf
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How do you have a soft landing ahead when your largest corps are have already surpassed previous ATHs or are very quickly coming back to ATHs? Top 10;

1687139423226.png

Looking at their all time charts you would never suspect the world thought it was going to end in the spring of 2020, you would think we entered a third industrial revolution.

I like the Microsoft chart going back to the dotcom bubble. Got up to around $55 before the bubble burst, then took 15 years to reach that price again.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I think the relative performance of Financials, Real Estate, Consumer Defensive, Healthcare, Utilities, and Energy are behind everything else YTD.

So is the general idea to ride an index to the top and then diversify by investing in a lagging sector?

Inevitably there's a shift? Is it possible to forecast what's next?

Financials seem risky with the impending commercial real estate FUD, real estate seems to be in a stalemate with sellers sitting bc of rates and buyers not having anything affordable available, consumer defensive should already be baked in bc Ukraine right?, and I have no thoughts about healthcare, ultilities, or energy.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
AAPL already running into issues with its Vision Pro on the trademark sides of things.

• 1Worf

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So is the general idea to ride an index to the top and then diversify by investing in a lagging sector?

Inevitably there's a shift? Is it possible to forecast what's next?

Financials seem risky with the impending commercial real estate FUD, real estate seems to be in a stalemate with sellers sitting bc of rates and buyers not having anything affordable available, consumer defensive should already be baked in bc Ukraine right?, and I have no thoughts about healthcare, ultilities, or energy.
Several of the financial YouTubers I watch have all been parroting the same message -- metals and miners will be big over the next decade. I've been buying shares of the gold and silver mining ETFs and related stocks.

• 1Like