Investing General Discussion

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Record retention standards fucking blow. Probably cost less than the manpower cost to set it all up back then.
Also emails are never really gone at these places. I had to investigate something a couple years ago that happened during 2008 crisis and the emails from an employee involved in the situation were able to be retrieved, including his deleted inbox, for a random 30 day period we suspected had the information we were looking for. So unless they were physically shredding paper this seems like bullshit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also emails are never really gone at these places. I had to investigate something a couple years ago that happened during 2008 crisis and the emails from an employee involved in the situation were able to be retrieved, including his deleted inbox, for a random 30 day period we suspected had the information we were looking for. So unless they were physically shredding paper this seems like bullshit.
Assuming JPM is using Microsoft enterprise servers, all it would take is a phone call to "certain people" at MSFt and those emails stored on enterprise servers go poof.

For us normal folks, you are correct. Jaime Dimon isn't us normal folks.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

dedollarization they said

Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
PLTR so far wiped out all my gains from my previous 2 trades. Feels bad man but I gotta hodl out.

• 1Diamond Hands

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, divorce got finalized last week and I owe my wife $40k for our 18 month marriage (she already got a bunch of other stuff).

I'm gonna pay her half in cash, but I'm trying to figure out if I should just liquidate my stocks to pay her the other half (not my ROTH or SEP, just my reg account). I think I have like $2k in losses in that account, but there's enough to pay her off if I liquidate the whole thing. Or should I get really specific in which losses to take and just save the next couple months to pay her the rest?

[edit] Got a $3k loss in that account

Last edited:
  • 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So, divorce got finalized last week and I owe my wife $40k for our 18 month marriage (she already got a bunch of other stuff).

I'm gonna pay her half in cash, but I'm trying to figure out if I should just liquidate my stocks to pay her the other half (not my ROTH or SEP, just my reg account). I think I have like $2k in losses in that account, but there's enough to pay her off if I liquidate the whole thing. Or should I get really specific in which losses to take and just save the next couple months to pay her the rest?
Damn, you got railroaded like my dad did. Day one I told him "I hate this bitch". I remember her dumb ass writing a note on the fridge in like the first week along the lines "Don't eat the let us in the frige". 6 months later he was like "WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME". He lost around 40k, and even worse on top of that, signed off on her mortgage to help her get into a house she could afford if she were smart (she wasn't) after the fact.

A couple repos and 20 years later, and my dad still gets calls from debt collectors.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Try negotiating the loss. Your Lawyer should have done this. Say if she wants the funds now she needs to share in the loss (so $1500) and offer her $38,500.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Jesus 40k just for 18 months?

• 1Picard

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus 40k just for 18 months?

$40k, the dog, a car, and another vehicle. I don't care about the money and I didn't want to get divorced in the first place.

Anyways, how should I extract the extra $20k from my investments? I have money in crypto, but I don't want to touch that.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
$40k, the dog, a car, and another vehicle. I don't care about the money and I didn't want to get divorced in the first place.

Anyways, how should I extract the extra $20k from my investments? I have money in crypto, but I don't want to touch that.
Not a simple question. I would start by looking at the investments, cost basis, gain/loss etc.