Investing General Discussion

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Don't believe this is correct, they recently cut the dividend down to less than a 1/5 of what it was
Ahh, you might be right. I could be confusing the annualized rate with 'this current div issuance'. Ah well.

I think oil's going up again though, so I don't mind the stock in general. /copium

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I was doing some research on some dividend plays, and saw something that might be of interest to those here: Petrobras (PBR). It's the Brazilian oil giant. Anyway, they announced a dividend on 8/11 with an ex date of 8/22. That rate? 22% (if I'm reading it right). Seems like a no brainer play for a quick payday, unless I'm missing something? The chart on it is a bit volatile, and it recently rose around 30%. I'm thinking if it falls after the ex date then just put in a stop/loss and you should be ok.

Thoughts? Did I find a minor gem or am I really no-braining it?
One of the tricks with dividend capture plays is being able to capture the dividend and get out at a profit. Using this example...

X is selling at $100 a share and goes ex-div tomorrow. Dividend is $2.50. We buy it today at $100. Tomorrow the stock opens at $97.50. You have to be confident that the stock is going to move back up after the dividend. If it flatlines or marginally moves back up over the next couple of weeks, then you haven't really gained anything.

I, personally, only really go for dividend plays on stocks I want to own for a period of time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They are literally just lighting their money on fire.

soul train episode 143 GIF

1692202888549.png

• 1Launch Fail
  • 1Seriously?

Lightning Fast
So I'm guessing that in PBR's case it has a super high Div rate (apparently, just not this time) because it has some mandate that a portion of its income has to be distributed and they had a good year last year? Just speculating.
X is selling at $100 a share and goes ex-div tomorrow. Dividend is $2.50. We buy it today at $100. Tomorrow the stock opens at $97.50. You have to be confident that the stock is going to move back up after the dividend. If it flatlines or marginally moves back up over the next couple of weeks, then you haven't really gained anything.
I really don't want to own twitter :trollface:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I'm guessing that in PBR's case it has a super high Div rate (apparently, just not this time) because it has some mandate that a portion of its income has to be distributed and they had a good year last year? Just speculating.

I really don't want to own twitter :trollface:
Petrochem companies historically have paid very high dividends. I remember BP and XOM being in the high single digits at times.

• 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
Petrochem companies historically have paid very high dividends. I remember BP and XOM being in the high single digits at times.
So almost as high as inflation! :Mad PC:

Shitposting aside, one div stock that's been good to me the last couple years is Gladstone Capital. 9.x% (annual) div paid monthly. It has been down a bit during the carnage of last year, but is now basically back up to where I bought it originally. I only had a small amount till recently, but bought some more since it seems to be a stable and steady source of dividend.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Had an open order pop at the close to write a bunch of puts for SPLG at the 100-DMA
50 strike, Sept 15 expiry, 35 cent premium. If I get assigned it will be about 2% below the 100-DMA.

It's not liquid enough to trade effectively, so I am gonna ride these into expiry unless something odd happens.

Ps.. it's still odd trading in SPLG vs SPY. I'm constantly having to do the math in my head at 8.5:1 because I am so used to the price of SPY being my basis.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So almost as high as inflation! :Mad PC:

Shitposting aside, one div stock that's been good to me the last couple years is Gladstone Capital. 9.x% (annual) div paid monthly. It has been down a bit during the carnage of last year, but is now basically back up to where I bought it originally. I only had a small amount till recently, but bought some more since it seems to be a stable and steady source of dividend.
Looking at volatility and returns, this just seems like a worse JEPI.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Counter to the debt doomers:

PS: the last 7k of my student loans qualified for the 20-year payment forgiveness and were cleared as of this morning.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I hear wars are excellent ways to deal with cratering economies that are filled with an surplus of men.
Counter to the debt doomers:

PS: the last 7k of my student loans qualified for the 20-year payment forgiveness and were cleared as of this morning.

How many people are sucking dick on the street not to lose that 2-2.5% rate?

My mortgage is $750! In todays world id need to earn 100k+ to afford a similar home atm.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I hear wars are excellent wars to deal with cratering economies that are filled with an surplus of men.

How many people are sucking dick on the street not to lose that 2-2.5% rate?

My mortgage is $750!
Inflation makes existing fixed interest debts much easier to pay off.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Harder in practice when every other cost is sky rocketing atm.
Assuming you already have your fixed mortgage, don't consume a ridiculous amount of meat or drive a giant gas guzzler, what other costs are really 'skyrocketing?'

Yes, food has gone nuts, and gas is *gasp* all the way back to where it was when Bush was president, but food should not represent >50% of your budget. Most Americans could eat 40% less food and literally be better off.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Picard

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Harder in practice when every other cost is sky rocketing atm.
I can almost buy a pound of Boar's Head Roast Beef with just a single share of Palantir.

Can you short grocery items? I feel like Philadelphia Cream Cheese has to be peaking. Wholesale is still reasonable at the Costco but grocery stores are charging over double. I think it's on the way down.

• 2Worf
  • 1Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Dang Monday about to get a bullet to the head. That market is so saturated, they're all kinda mediocre. Monday strikes me as distinct only because of it's marketing push.
As someone who works for a company who is balls+ deep into SFDC, and came from a small company where I was the cursed soul who had to be the SFDC admin and deployment lead I can tell you. If it can do mediocre without requiring multiple FTEs to care and feed for it, then it's a better deal than SFDC.