Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All of these strategies that the fed keeps propping up in hopes of a "soft landing", whatever a soft landing is, .. just looks to me like this shit is going to fucking tank, and tank hard. Like people start trading locally to farmers and such, again.
<inserts reaction>
1694015738614.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wrote a block of puts on SPLG at the $50 strike, Oct expiry, 30 cent premium. There is a solid amount of support from back in June just above $50. With the premium this would put me about 1% above the 200-DMA in terms of cost basis.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
IWM showing the relative weakness today. Trading back at the 100/200MAs again.

I added back what I sold in the 190s.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Doesn't that make the IWM drop that Jysin Jysin posted seem a bit more concerning then?

Yeah, the tech companies are driving the big indexes, but IWM is what actually matters and if it's going to fall off a cliff, well, the market is fucked.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

TSMC posts monthly financial updates to their website.

August year on year revenue is down by 13.5%. The January-August 2023 revenues are down by 5.2% vs the same time in 2022.

Where the fuck is all of this NVDA AI money coming from? (TSMC makes all of the NVDA chips)

Here's the CEO continuing his profit taking.
1694178913379.png

Nothing to see here... AI !!!

This Is Fine GIF

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Trade in a simulator.
What simulators do you use / recommend?

I'm in the automotive simulation business and wrote a very basic trading simulator a decade ago (which is when I came to the conclusion I was better off blindly investing in large indexes). So I'm mostly just curious from a capability and design perspective than actually using one.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What simulators do you use / recommend?

I'm in the automotive simulation business and wrote a very basic trading simulator a decade ago (which is when I came to the conclusion I was better off blindly investing in large indexes). So I'm mostly just curious from a capability and design perspective than actually using one.
TD Ameritrade's "Think or Swim" (often referred to as ToS) trading platform has what they call paper trading, which is sim trading. Only downside is that you can only place trades during market hours, nothing extended.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
TD Ameritrade's "Think or Swim" (often referred to as ToS) trading platform has what they call paper trading, which is sim trading. Only downside is that you can only place trades during market hours, nothing extended.
Does this allow you to set time or fast forward? Ex: simulate trading sessions over the last week? What I did a decade ago was write some basic algorithms from a book I read (Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets), then set parameters for the algorithms and run it over a year from stock market trading data. I lost my shirt everytime and gave up on being a trader :D. Is there any simulation product that supports that use-case?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Doesn't that make the IWM drop that Jysin Jysin posted seem a bit more concerning then?

Yeah, the tech companies are driving the big indexes, but IWM is what actually matters and if it's going to fall off a cliff, well, the market is fucked.
IWM needs to participate for the rally to have legs. I wish we had a better bear market capitulation and economic reset. We are still now stuck feeling late cycle. I've been taking a bullish stance because that's the chart/data in front of me, but a breakdown of IWM here would change my view towards being more protective. to be more clear/precise, a weekly close of IWM below the 200d would be a red flag for me to change base assumptions. People may focus on NVDA declines but that is meh to me, a 20% correction in NVDA in my mind would be meaningless to overall outlook., if anything it would probably make me more bullish.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Does this allow you to set time or fast forward? Ex: simulate trading sessions over the last week? What I did a decade ago was write some basic algorithms from a book I read (Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets), then set parameters for the algorithms and run it over a year from stock market trading data. I lost my shirt everytime and gave up on being a trader :D. Is there any simulation product that supports that use-case?
Pretty sure it does, I don't use it though because like Chamath I'm in the arena! I'll save you time and write the code for you now that will be your best bet.

function authenticate(username, password) {
if (username === 'your_username' && password === 'your_password') {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
}

function checkBalance(username) {
// Simulated balance checking logic
if (username === 'your_username') {
return 10000; // Assuming you have $10,000 in your account
} else {
return 0;
}
}

function placeOrder(username, stockSymbol, quantity, price) {
// Simulated order placement logic
console.log(`Placing an order for ${quantity} shares of ${SPY} at $${price} per share.`);
}

// Your buy function
function buyStock(username, password, SPY, quantity, price) {
if (authenticate(username, password)) {
const balance = checkBalance(username);
const totalCost = quantity * price;

if (balance >= totalCost) {
// Sufficient balance to place the order
placeOrder(username, SPY, quantity, price);
console.log(`Order placed successfully.`);
} else {
console.log(`Insufficient balance to buy ${quantity} shares of ${SPY}.`);
}
} else {
console.log(`Authentication failed. Please check your username and password.`);
}
}

// Example usage
const username = 'your_username';
const password = 'your_password';
const stockSymbol = 'SPY';
const quantity = 10;
const price = 150.0;

buyStock(username, password, SPY, quantity, price);

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mean reversion is the most powerful force in the universe.

Suggested Sofi been pretty nice so far getting that 4.5%. Been hamstrung sometimes by transfer limits. Kinda annoying all the things bombarding you wanting to earn good boy points and pocket change for doing stupid shit they want.

But was mostly annoyed by emails like this. Feels like I'm doing business with Disney

SmartSelect_20230908_103408_Gmail.jpg

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got a RSU stonk disbursement last month. 22% tax on that bullshit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Rustled
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users