Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Feels like anyone willing to take this offer isn't a good fit. Like asking who wants to be the next captain while the ship is on fire and sinking.
Anyone who originally signed on to a non-profit to build safe AI is also not going to be a good fit at MSFT. They're literally another EA cult, like FTX:

1700501966224.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The employee revolt makes a lot more sense now. These board shenanigans just fucked them all out of a windfall that would have set their great-grandchildren up in perpetuity. I'd set the place on fire on my way out, too.

"OpenAI employees were in the middle of a tender offer that was set to end at the beginning of December, in which Thrive Capital and potential others had offered to purchase their shares at an $86 billion valuation. The money has not yet been wired, and that deal is as good as dead without Altman back at OpenAI, meaning the employees have a lot to lose in the current Altman-to-Microsoft scenario too."

This shitshow is going to be on the top of the stack of HBS case studies of corporate governance failures for decades.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This shitshow is going to be on the top of the stack of HBS case studies of corporate governance failures for decades.
I doubt any of this is broadly applicable to other businesses, because OpenAI was never originally supposed to be a for-profit company. That makes it a pretty poor case-study, in terms of being able to generalize for other similar scenarios.

And who the fuck knows, AI might solve business in a decade or two, making this pointless to study other than for the lulz.

Captain Suave

I doubt any of this is broadly applicable to other businesses, because OpenAI was never originally supposed to be a for-profit company. That makes it a pretty poor case-study, in terms of being able to generalize for other similar scenarios.

And who the fuck knows, AI might solve business in a decade or two, making this pointless to study other than for the lulz.

The Challenger explosion is a classic case study and NASA sure isn't representative of many for-profit businesses. The studies are about highlighting the power of human fallibility in the face of competing incentives. (Source: Haz MIT MBA)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The Challenger explosion is a classic case study and NASA sure isn't representative of many for-profit businesses. The studies are about highlighting the power of human fallibility in the face of competing incentives. (Source: Haz MIT MBA)
What I'm saying is that this maneuvering, no matter how lolworthy, isn't directly applicable to other corporate governance structures.

Captain Suave

What I'm saying is that this maneuvering, no matter how lolworthy, isn't directly applicable to other corporate governance structures.

It may very well if it came down to philosophical differences in corporate direction and responsibility and how badly wrong the board was about where the functional power actually sat and what the consequences of rapid leadership replacement would be. I can tell you from firsthand experience that this is the kind of shit case study writers salivate over. My organizational behavior classes were full of stories like this.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
In real world news that actually matters, market is grinding higher with dollar grinding lower.

131% debt to gdp, interest eclipsing the deficit, I see no reason the dollar stabilizes.

Earnings don't mean shit to the macro environment. Puts are a trap and it breaks my heart.

Argentina converting to the dollar is like a drop in the bucket when it comes to the staggering amount of debt that needs to be bought on a routine basis. I don't know when or how but the bond market will eventually see a lack of demand and then shit hits the fan.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
In real world news that actually matters, market is grinding higher with dollar grinding lower.

131% debt to gdp, interest eclipsing the deficit, I see no reason the dollar stabilizes.

Earnings don't mean shit to the macro environment. Puts are a trap and it breaks my heart.

Argentina converting to the dollar is like a drop in the bucket when it comes to the staggering amount of debt that needs to be bought on a routine basis. I don't know when or how but the bond market will eventually see a lack of demand and then shit hits the fan.
Dollar coming down and lower bond yields should send US equities higher. The dollars got a long way to fall before it's even remotely a problem.

Oil will creep up though, but we're pumping like crazy.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It may very well if it came down to philosophical differences in corporate direction and responsibility and how badly wrong the board was about where the functional power actually sat and what the consequences of rapid leadership replacement would be. I can tell you from firsthand experience that this is the kind of shit case study writers salivate over. My organizational behavior classes were full of stories like this.
"Never let a crisis go to waste."

lol marc

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

lol power moves from Satya. RIP all these idealistic geeks who thought they were building something for the benefit of mankind.

Good chance OpenAI ends up basically destroyed. Some people will join the MSFT borg, but maybe not enough to unlock the next big leap.

This gives GOOG a huge window to catch up. Maybe even X.ai.

The future is competing corporations racing to build their own gods. William Gibson was right all along.

• 1Mother of God

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Marc is serious about this. And the "forced to use Teams" memes just keep coming.

Marc picking up even a few dozen team members would be huge for CRM.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Every stupid bull who bought yesterday after 1pm is getting their face melted, market down 0.30% I tried to warn everyone for months it was a bear market rally and the market would unlikely be green everyday like during a normal bull market.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We should have a mini-contest to see where people think the market will end up at end of year, if they want to update their opinions.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Every stupid bull who bought yesterday after 1pm is getting their face melted, market down 0.30% I tried to warn everyone for months it was a bear market rally and the market would unlikely be green everyday like during a normal bull market.
This post feels a little sarcastic.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Marc is serious about this. And the "forced to use Teams" memes just keep coming.

Marc picking up even a few dozen team members would be huge for CRM.
Any engineer would be dumb to take this guy at a match. Should be easy to negotiate a total comp increase as homie is coming off very thirsty.