Investing General Discussion

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
"JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, Bank of America and Wells Fargo, the four largest banks in the United States, all came through the stress tests with sufficient capital"

Goldman, not so much. GS has been an underperformer for a long while. I always felt its lack of a traditional bank arm hurt it.

JPM pays about 3.5% dividend yield, so I'm content to ride it out for the long term. With no buybacks and capped dividends I dont know what they are going to do with the excess cash? M&A activity?

Last time the economy was in the shitter and Jamie had some extra cash, he bought Wamu and Bear Stearns. Chase still needs a footprint in the middle of the country and parts of the South.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I am always going to preface anything I link from Zero Hedge as one of the most bearish sites I know. Being bearish doesn't necessarily make them wrong or the data wrong. You just need to understand the spin is always bearish.

I'm linking this because of the Robinhood references. It should be no surprise the shale players will be going insolvent pretty much on a daily/weekly basis. But this article touches on the Robinhood crowd jumping on every company that is trading just above bankruptcy (or in the case of HTZ, in bankruptcy). I cant stress enough the "normal" outcome of holding shares of a bankrupt company is zero $$. With all the companies that actually make a profit and are still selling at a discount, really ask yourself if trading in these near bankrupt companies is worth the risk.

This ends today's daily service announcement.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You read that quote as "can survive another 2008"? Uhh...
No, I wasn't referencing the quote. I read a bunch of info once the test results came out. I am against the changes to the Volcker rules because I think they have helped keep the banks strong in a shit scenario like we are seeing. Yes they limit profits but I am ok with that. I can list entire segments of our economy that will go bankrupt before the big banks do. All things economic being equal I think the big banks are in solid shape financially.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Last time the economy was in the shitter and Jamie had some extra cash, he bought Wamu and Bear Stearns. Chase still needs a footprint in the middle of the country and parts of the South.
Yeah this might lead to some of the smaller regional being bought up by the big as the regional dont have the same strength of balance sheets the bigs do.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Added to FB and JPM this morning. I keep looking at GOOG and then remembering how much I hate it as a company. I said the same thing about FB but apparently I don't hate them as much as GOOG since I eventually bought FB.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I thought to myself as I was about to sell my HA,Six Flags and MGM Stock about a week ago, "There's no way we can go back to shutting shit down, right? This has to keep at least slowly ascending." Psyche. That's what I get for believing people weren't complete ball-less rubes.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I thought to myself as I was about to sell my HA,Six Flags and MGM Stock about a week ago, "There's no way we can go back to shutting shit down, right? This has to keep at least slowly ascending." Psyche. That's what I get for believing people weren't complete ball-less rubes.

Of all the airlines , you picked the one that has no real future. SWA is and will destroy them on inter island traffic. Besides everyone else already doing it, you can bet jetBlue eventually starts their MINT service between west coast and Hawaii too, driving prices down further. Also, Honolulu does not work as any sort of connection hub for the pacific as its way out of the way to anywhere, its all O&D traffic.

Get out at your next opportunity.

As for the shit we are in this week. I'm scraping what money I can spare and buying back into a couple positions I regretted selling too early. Don't shoot me, but I'm taking CCL and hopefully RCL if it dips into the high 30s. Yes I'm gambling. Also making contributions to the HSA which is just S&P. I just don't see any better place for my money, and that includes investment into my side business. We will see.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Added to FB and JPM this morning. I keep looking at GOOG and then remembering how much I hate it as a company. I said the same thing about FB but apparently I don't hate them as much as GOOG since I eventually bought FB.
I hate FB and haven't had an account for 10 years but I still own them!

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Of all the airlines , you picked the one that has no real future. SWA is and will destroy them on inter island traffic. Besides everyone else already doing it, you can bet jetBlue eventually starts their MINT service between west coast and Hawaii too, driving prices down further. Also, Honolulu does not work as any sort of connection hub for the pacific as its way out of the way to anywhere, its all O&D traffic.

Get out at your next opportunity.

As for the shit we are in this week. I'm scraping what money I can spare and buying back into a couple positions I regretted selling too early. Don't shoot me, but I'm taking CCL and hopefully RCL if it dips into the high 30s. Yes I'm gambling. Also making contributions to the HSA which is just S&P. I just don't see any better place for my money, and that includes investment into my side business. We will see.
I am a dip buyer on the right stocks. I suggest with the speculative shit (cruise/airlines) to make sure you use a stop/loss. Maybe go with a loose one since the volatility is so high. Depending on the trade platform it adjusts the stop/loss trigger based on how loose/tight you want it to run.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The only green in my portfoluo is my SPAC named SHLL. It's up 32% today. God I love the Robinhooders.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We are approaching my limit order, selling half if it hits 30, then I am at like a cost basis of $6.8 so can basically ride it out forever
Great play. Some profit takers hitting it once it crested $25 since they bought in this morning around $18. I thought NKLA was more than likely vaporware, but Hyliion actually already sells stuff, makes money and also has a vision for an advanced product line that uses existing infrastructure (electric and NG). I can see myself holding on to this for a bit. I also like that the former CEO of Publix Supermarkets (southeastern grocery) sits on the board. Publix is an incredibly well run company.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Worth the 5 minutes to read the twitter thread (not the replies, the original tweet is about 15 tweets).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users