Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Screenshot_20200702-224509_Twitter.jpg

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Wanting to be able to afford more than a bottle of aspirin 20 years from now.
If you're really as pessimistic about the covid situation as you suggest in the covid thread, I don't know why you'd invest in an index fund that's only slightly off of it's all time high at this point.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're really as pessimistic about the covid situation as you suggest in the covid thread, I don't know why you'd invest in an index fund that's only slightly off of it's all time high at this point.
Well, it's down over 10% from it's all time high. If it regressed towards the mean over a a few years, it would make that up and then some.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Whats the current consensus on potential housing market crash?

Are we still in the lag time? Or are the % renters behind, and % home owners behind, going to just not be high enough to cause a drop in cost?

4 million + jobs, feeling cautiously optimistic about Trump, causing some doubts as to if there will be a house market crash.

Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes Blazin Blazin ???

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Whats the current consensus on potential housing market crash?

Housing market crash on a wide scale is probably not likely. I'm sure some areas will get hit, but most places look fine with the fact that people who aren't paying have a big window of protection because of covid relief. The commercial side of real estate is where it looks and has looked really ugly this pandemic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Manhattan real-estate is getting crushed as are Manhattan rentals numbers which are cratering.

Manhattan was already tumbling last year. Factor in the pandemic and riots? It's just a big reminder that real estate is very regional. I bet there's some killer deals in parts of chicago and seattle too. Or as the real estate agents might put it in their ads: Lots of outdoor festivities year round!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Started to lose faith in a crash a few weeks ago, talked to TJT TJT the other day and now I'm thinking if I can get something solid for a decent price, its almost like hedging my bet on the crash.

Including TJT TJT because if I buy a house and it crashes I want everyone to know I'm going to put 100% of the blame on him.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You need to factor in the government intervention going on. No evictions for non-payment are going to really skew data. Dig into how many corporations are renegotiating leases, not paying, etc.

My thought is we haven't even scratched the surface of housing. Manhattan real-estate is getting crushed as are Manhattan rentals numbers which are cratering. The wealthy types are moving to the burbs because they can afford to (Westchester, Nassau etc).

I dont see anything really imploding until 2021 and it will be impacted greatly by the Nov elections (not just Presidential but Congressional). Be patient.

My sister lives in Manhattan and is trying to con me to chip in 150K to put a down payment on a property in the Hamptons. She would live in it of course, so it's not an entirely selflessly motivated investment pitch, but I am debating the potential value as an investment.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Manhattan was already tumbling last year. Factor in the pandemic and riots? It's just a big reminder that real estate is very regional. I bet there's some killer deals in parts of chicago and seattle too. Or as the real estate agents might put it in their ads: Lots of outdoor festivities year round!

Not in Seattle, even in the Capital Hill area where CHOP was. In West Seattle where the main artery bridge is closed because it would break otherwise? Yeah, for sure.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
DoorDash Is Now Worth $12.6 Billion After New $600 Million Investment

This is a systemic issue with the 'new finance' of startups and the like. Remember 'WeWork' which went from like $45B valuation to $9B pretty much overnight? You have this very very shallow pool of the uber rich who have more money than sense and they create these paper fantasies of valuation based on nothing but 'gut feel'.

Imagine bringing forward a 1950s economist and asking them to determine the value of something like WeWork. They would probably look at the balance sheet, list of total assets and liabilities, revenue projections for the next 5 years etc. What do you think they could come up with for the value of WeWork or any of these other balloon investments?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
DoorDash Is Now Worth $12.6 Billion After New $600 Million Investment

This is a systemic issue with the 'new finance' of startups and the like. Remember 'WeWork' which went from like $45B valuation to $9B pretty much overnight? You have this very very shallow pool of the uber rich who have more money than sense and they create these paper fantasies of valuation based on nothing but 'gut feel'.

Imagine bringing forward a 1950s economist and asking them to determine the value of something like WeWork. They would probably look at the balance sheet, list of total assets and liabilities, revenue projections for the next 5 years etc. What do you think they could come up with for the value of WeWork or any of these other balloon investments?

Pressure creates value and nothing else matters.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In other news TSLA up another 6% pre-market and SHLL up 7% pre-market.

Elon tweeted about carrying a new line of "short shorts" with the word S3XY across the ass in tribute to all the shorts getting destroyed.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
My sister lives in Manhattan and is trying to con me to chip in 150K to put a down payment on a property in the Hamptons. She would live in it of course, so it's not an entirely selflessly motivated investment pitch, but I am debating the potential value as an investment.

What timescale? 5 years. I'd consider that a high risk. It's possible (not likely, but possible) that you'll just lose your shit. I've got a feeling that New York governance is in for a tumultous few cycles.

20 years? Yeah, you'll make money. But will you make more money than if you invested otherwise?

I dunno, but I doubt it. Of course your sisters gets a house in the meantime so there is that. That's not trivial, either.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm no expert on the south fork, but I understand there are different levels of rich out in the different Hamptons and Montauk. So geographic specifics will come into play. I dont know if you are familiar with NY real estate taxes but I would check into them and remember that the SALT changes from 2017 cap deductions at 10k. This means you will be setting fire to a ton of cash in property taxes. I think Blazin Blazin hails from out east and can shed more light on the subject.