Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, but I doubt it. Of course your sisters gets a house in the meantime so there is that. That's not trivial, either.

I don't like my siblings enough to lose that much money investing in their livelihood.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Most of any family is really awful about money and I avoid any discussion of such things with my siblings exactly for that reason. Blood is thicker than water but it sure as fuck isn't thicker than money 9 times out of 10.

I've seen so many people who are exploited by the family before anyone else. Siblings thinking absolutely nothing of completely fucking over and manipulating aging parents to edge out other siblings of even small inheritances.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I've seen so many people who are exploited by the family before anyone else. Siblings thinking absolutely nothing of completely fucking over and manipulating aging parents to edge out other siblings of even small inheritances.

I try to keep enough eye on my family's lives to know if they really need help and that help will be productive. I've been very generous when a relative has been in a bad situation that can't be avoided (something breaks down randomly, ect.), but when a relative comes asking for money for anything? I Nope the fuck out. One side of my family is a massive sprawling idiocracy mess, so I got a mix of every sort of relative. No matter what I hear from them about being able to repay when I offer something, I always expect any money I give them to be a 100% loss though.

There's nothing wrong with giving money to family, but if you're thinking in your head that its an investment or a loan, you are probably making a mistake.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Feels like the time to sell tsla... I thought it would take a year or two to break 1200...

Was hoping for 2000/share in five years, at this rate it's going to be December. Lol

Feels bloated and I'm thinking I can prolly buy back in cheaper later.

But I'm a fucking novice and the fomo is real.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Feels like the time to sell tsla... I thought it would take a year or two to break 1200...

Was hoping for 2000/share in five years, at this rate it's going to be December. Lol

Feels bloated and I'm thinking I can prolly buy back in cheaper later.

But I'm a fucking novice and the fomo is real.
Depending on your position size and cost basis, maybe sell some and let the rest ride. Nothing wrong with taking some profit off the table.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
TSLA's price is not based on reality, so it's hard to look at anything the company is doing in our world and use that to correlate a stock price. The best way to explain that stock is that it's the crystallized form of the hopes and dreams of west-coast elites. TBH I can see them going up a lot, but it's not a company I'm going to stake my retirement on.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Sold enough to buy an excursion, pay my 2019 taxes, fix my bike, pay for my Alaska trip, pay for wife's 2019 state taxes, wife's AirBnB to start her new job, this month's rent, and the taxes on the sale.

Lol, felt good.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, never used a financial app before, do these places like Webull/Robinhood/M1 Finance email you the information you'll need to plug into your taxes at the end of the year? The place I've got my IRAs at does, but that's a physical institution. Going to start an account with one of these apps to mess around with some extra money left over from settling Mom's estate. Maybe try some dividend investing to watch those sweet sweet nickels roll in each month, something different from the normal ETF/Mutual Fund shit going on in my main retirement accounts.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, never used a financial app before, do these places like Webull/Robinhood/M1 Finance email you the information you'll need to plug into your taxes at the end of the year? The place I've got my IRAs at does, but that's a physical institution. Going to start an account with one of these apps to mess around with some extra money left over from settling Mom's estate. Maybe try some dividend investing to watch those sweet sweet nickels roll in each month, something different from the normal ETF/Mutual Fund shit going on in my main retirement accounts.

I use Fidelity and they send a statement at the end of the year. I suggest using them over Robinhood. I forget the details but Robinhood was down a lot during the crashing because they didn’t have enough cash or something shady. No way I’d be trusting my money with something like that.

Fidelity’s app isn’t a streamlined game type app with fireworks when you buy things and shit like Robinhood is, but it functions fine and is easy to use.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I should be buying mutual funds that are still down for the year right? lol.

I feel retarded. More than usual.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You use vanguard, and from what you're looking at I assume you're thinking broad strategies. From that I'd suggest you do a mix of MGK and VOO, which is the typical approach I've used for the last 15 years. MGK tends to be a bit flakier, but has out-preformed long term. VOO is basically just the S&P500 and it's hard to go wrong with it. They are both a good solid foundation to have for your money.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I should be buying mutual funds that are still down for the year right? lol.

I feel retarded. More than usual.
Not being a smart-ass, but go back about 30 pages and start skimming. There is lots of good info on this thread. Generally ETFs > Mutual Funds for the same index. Mutuals almost always charge much higher net fees than index ETFs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All of the major brokerages have apps for trading. Open an account with one of those and use theirs. The millennial crowd apps like Robinhood should really be avoided like Coronachan. I use Fidelity for my accounts and Merrill Edge for my Mom's accounts. They are both quality apps for trading.