Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Oxford plans to run phase 3 (AstraZenaca) to July 2021,
Moderna has their study completing in October 2022.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Oxford plans to run phase 3 (AstraZenaca) to July 2021,
Moderna has their study completing in October 2022.
Well that is kind of worthless.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
"Oh, your stock went down? Just file a lawsuit." I hate this shit. Not there isnt a valid call for it in some instances of real fraud, but this shit happens way to much.
True, but Intel is pretty scummy in this regard. Their 10nm has been shit for a while yet they continually said 7nm is fine and on track, until their cc.

Even if you dont like AMD, TSMC has to be a clear winner in the years ahead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So is Intel not a bargain on this news? I have a friend who is going beyond all the chip makers and straight to the manufactures of the smaller components mostly in Japan. He claims they have monopolies on a lot of the critical machines and components. Above my head.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So is Intel not a bargain on this news? I have a friend who is going beyond all the chip makers and straight to the manufactures of the smaller components mostly in Japan. He claims they have monopolies on a lot of the critical machines and components. Above my head.
Depends on the time horizon. In my opinion long term it is a buy at this price. Short term.. not sure. I expect it to get a boost with everything else when big tech reports this week and we get stimulus package part 47. Will it maintain that boost? Shrug. Price targets are all over the place now.

I bought it and am holding it. That said, I have a stop-loss at $46.50. My thought is it hits $58 -$60 by year end. Dont look for a V-shaped insta-recovery.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Airlines getting hammered today after the UK issued mandatory quarantine on travelers arriving from Spain. Further quarantines on travel will hurt the industry going forward.

Siliconemelons

So... Other than "do it yourself" - and "Retirement funds"...

Are there any /good/ management places that I could drop 10k (yes I know small deal, ima po' etc etc. yes yes) and just let them do things with it- and pump into it fairly easy monthly?

Or...is it just, get etrade adn toss it 33/33/34 into three of the "funds"

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The more I read today, the more I started getting a risk-off sort of vibe. Hurricane hits TX, doesn't make the news (granted it was a minor one). FB moves its earnings report back a day to report with the giants (looking to hide bad news amongst the stars?) , GOP and Dems arguing about extending unemployment, China/US tensions... etc.

Closed two of my SPACs with about 15% gains each and started tightening up my stop-loss orders. Going to sweep my holdings and make sure I am still 100% behind each of them and if not maybe close out to scrape profits.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So... Other than "do it yourself" - and "Retirement funds"...

Are there any /good/ management places that I could drop 10k (yes I know small deal, ima po' etc etc. yes yes) and just let them do things with it- and pump into it fairly easy monthly?

Or...is it just, get etrade adn toss it 33/33/34 into three of the "funds"
I wouldn't advise anyone to pay 1% fees for an active manager to put money in index funds. My advice, open an account and drop the cash into IVV (or its equivalent), and QQQ. You could even go all into just one. I would avoid bonds right now. The return is crap. 10k into either the SP500 or QQQ (or a mix of either) is a solid if not exciting simple fire and forget strategy. Based on my current view, QQQ will provide better long term return but IVV might be marginally safer due to larger basket of holdings.

Edit: QQQ lacks exposure to financials which is helping it outperform IVV. At some point down the road financials are going to turn the corner and it will help IVV close the gap.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
A good read...

Meanwhile I'm a buy and hold total market investor and doing great.

All you people buying individual stocks right now look insane to me.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Meanwhile I'm a buy and hold total market investor and doing great.

All you people buying individual stocks right now look insane to me.
Buy and hold total market is the strategy to have and I salute you. Almost half my portfolio is in market indexes. The March crash presented a unique opportunity to buy some individual hold for life stocks at a serious discount. You have the right idea. Indexes are the answer for 90+% of retail investors.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I typically keep 95% of my money in broad market funds. It is simple and works. Buy a stock and you bet a company. Buy broad market and you bet on the economy.

I don't think this hurricane will be much of an issue in terms of the storms texas deals with every year. Some neglected boats will get destroyed like always, a few trees fall over, and junkers will make money cleaning stuff up. This doesn't look any stronger than the typical rolling thunderstorm though, so don't expect any real property damage or major business disruptions. Gusts will get into the 10s of mph in my part of texas.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am going to amend my previous statement. I dug into the analysis some more and tightened up my stop-loss to $49.50 . Its nearest support level is at $45.91 which is close to the March low. A retest of that low is a possibility.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Lord help me, I just bought some Lynas Corp (lyscf) and put a order in for Lasertec Corp (LSRCF)

Former is a player of rare earth outside of china and later is the only maker of machines that quality control aspects of chip making. Hows that from a WILD 180 from my travel stocks. yolo

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not far off that stop.
So this was interesting. My stop was at $49.50. and apparently a whole bunch of other people had $49.50 in their sights. At 3:54pm 12 million shares traded in that 60 seconds going from a spread of $49.60 to &49.47. 12 million is 60 seconds. Let that sink in. in the 60 seconds at 3:55pm 10.2 million shares traded at a range of $49.50 to & 49.58. The chart...

1595881058124.png

Why didnt my order trigger? My guess is that the bid/ask got so skewed when 4 massive orders got filled first. We had orders for 5 million shares, 6.6 million shares, 5 million shares and 5 million shares. A billion dollars. In four orders. That is a lot of fucking shares moving. They overloaded the bid/ask shares for sale/purchase. End result. I still own my shares. My guess is its going to tank after hours as those shares get dumped by whoever made the market for them.

1595881219326.png

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Intel’s Chief Engineering Officer Is Leaving the Chipmaker

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Seems like a scapegoat. Intel's 10nm process was broken before he started working there.

Though I did just watch a video about all this that more or less said the guy was more focused on internal politics to position himself as CEO than on success of the company but I think adoredtv took it down.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Seems like a scapegoat. Intel's 10nm process was broken before he started working there.

Though I did just watch a video about all this that more or less said the guy was more focused on internal politics to position himself as CEO than on success of the company but I think adoredtv took it down.
Maybe it was him selling one of those 5 million share blocks.