Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Account was a nothingburger, just some old us west stock that got converted to Century Link. Better than enron or pets.com I guess, at least this choice results in enough money to take my brothers out for a nice meal when they come into town to settle up.
Shit I will never forget. The Pets.com tv ads with the dog sock puppet. Can't understand why the tech bubble burst.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Their size and scale gives them incredible latitude. They have so little debt on their books they could potentially buy a competitor like AMD. Just using it as an example.
Very true. They could also throw a boat load of money at TSMC as well to secure fab space. I think that would probably be the smartest thing to do, as they clearly dont know what they are doing when it comes to making new nodes.

Bob Swan even hinted at it on their CC;

"We're going to be pretty pragmatic about if and when we should be making stuff inside or making outside, and making sure that we have optionality to build internally, mix and match inside and outside, or go outside in its entirety if we need to"

Not like they havent already done it. TSMC has already been making their low end processors for a year now iirc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The writing is pretty heavy on the wall that there's going to be a push into making more processors and the like in the US soon. Having all that cash on hand will be useful in that situation, and AMD has a lot of future profit gains priced in now.

They're both good companies. INTC is probably slightly better for someone looking a long time out 8+ years. I think short term AMD is slightly better.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It still cracks me up that people talk about pets.com as the beacon of "bad ideas" that caused the tech bubble. Like chewy.com and the tons of other places you can buy pet food and products online aren't huge now...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It still cracks me up that people talk about pets.com as the beacon of "bad ideas" that caused the tech bubble. Like chewy.com and the tons of other places you can buy pet food and products online aren't huge now...

OIP.jpeg-4.jpg

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Pets.com was 15 years ahead of its time.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A good read...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Very true. They could also throw a boat load of money at TSMC as well to secure fab space. I think that would probably be the smartest thing to do, as they clearly dont know what they are doing when it comes to making new nodes.

Bob Swan even hinted at it on their CC;

"We're going to be pretty pragmatic about if and when we should be making stuff inside or making outside, and making sure that we have optionality to build internally, mix and match inside and outside, or go outside in its entirety if we need to"

Not like they havent already done it. TSMC has already been making their low end processors for a year now iirc.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I really bought into the AMD hype since I hate intel. I should have stuck it through. I was looking at my first stock I ever bought. Live and learn. Nothing that would have bought a house or car, but it can be a lesson learned.

cry.JPG

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I really bought into the AMD hype since I hate intel. I should have stuck it through. I was looking at my first stock I ever bought. Live and learn. Nothing that would have bought a house or car, but it can be a lesson learned.

View attachment 288279
I remember a few years back it was down around 13$ a share and I did some options on it. Never amounted to anything and I think I lost a marginal sum. I shrugged and don't think I ever looked at AMD again until recently. Live and learn.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

View attachment 288279
Could be worse. I bought in for like $3k worth when it was ~$2.50 then sold it at the below point, mainly because I wanted to free up some cash to go on vacation with some skank I dumped a month later.

1595816805620.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Picard

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And the lawsuits will soon be starting

"Oh, your stock went down? Just file a lawsuit." I hate this shit. Not there isnt a valid call for it in some instances of real fraud, but this shit happens way to much.

• 1Like