Investing General Discussion

Molten Core Raider
INTC under $48 a share. The one lesson I have taught myself this year is to religiously cut my losers short. I think I am done with chip stocks. At this point I am sticking with my NVDA hodl position and thats it.
I cut my losses on INTC too. Of course, it started trending a little up when I did (which is what ALWAYs happens) but its nice to confirm I made the right decision. It was a really small position for me so I didnt lose much. It was a good lesson for me, I expected it was free money at that price. It was, but not for me!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I exited my BA position for a measly $750 last week. But then I see them today and think, god damn I am a genius.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I am going to guess opportunity cost. Why sit on a loser waiting to make back your losses when the markets have other money making opportunities right now.

Thats what I was guessing. I just know I’m not good enough to turn it into a sure thing. I’d just as easily sell at a loss and put it in another loser lol.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why sell it for such a loss? It’ll still make good dividends and start marching back upwards on their size and earnings. Unless you’re just trying to make your holdings as aggressive as possible I don’t really see a reason to sell it for a loss this quickly after a dip.

One of the hardest traits to learn is when to admit a trade was bad. Analysts had the stock as a "hold" pre-earnings. I played the price move down off of earnings in a sort of take the opportunity to pounce. Then the details came out of the delays on the chips and the bounce never materialized. I still think fundamentally INTC is a solid company but what I dont see (due to the production issues) is a swift return back upwards. The more I dug into the chip delays the more I felt the likelihood of marketshare being lost was significant. Big Phoenix Big Phoenix had the better outlook on this than I did. I dont mind holding a down stock for a long period of time (hello to you JPM), but I have to believe in its fundamentals. the INTC problem isnt Coronachan related. Its an internal issue that I dont see a quick resolution to.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TSLA didn't move this quick.. or large.

KODK was ~$2.40 on market close 2 days ago. It just bounced off $60 per share.
The price has a ton to do with it. it isnt easy to buy 1000's of shares of TSLA to trade, its real easy to buy 1000's of shares of KODK.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
TSLA didn't move this quick.. or large.

KODK was ~$2.40 on market close 2 days ago. It just bounced off $60 per share.
The stock market has become so untethered from reality in recent months that it's hard to take seriously anymore.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, keep in mind (older news) that Apple is making the move to their own in-house chips. They have traditionally used Intel, but as soon as Apple are exclusively using their own silicon, it is just more downward pressure on Intel sales. Apple are said to be rolling out their first in-house CPU MacBooks this year, alongside the option of using Intel chips.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The stock market has become so untethered from reality in recent months that it's hard to take seriously anymore.

It's not the market in this case. Eastman Kodak got a $765 million loan from the US Government to get into drug making.... That's what is untethered from reality.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's not the market in this case. Eastman Kodak got a $765 million loan from the US Government to get into drug making.... That's what is untethered from reality.
It would be nice if this doesnt turn out to be Trump's Solyandra equivalent.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Triterras had positive EBITDA of $14.8m in 2019 and projects EBITDA of $39.8m. That is almost 3x profit growth. Also the company will have zero debt. 90% of existing equity stake will be rolled into new company. 2020 the company will be trading at 5.5x multiple.

Stock took a big swing down as people grabbed profits but is slowly moving back up. I like this company (Triterras).

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Its hard to not get caught up hoping to ride the wave in Kodak.
What's always interesting in these cases is the blatant insider trading. As far as I know, there was absolutely no news of this as of COM Monday, yet KODK stock increased 25% as people got the inside scoop and bought in early. Must be nice.

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've always wondered how insider trading could possibly ever be contained. Between all of the talks of all parties involved in mergers, the finance side of it, negotiations, etc.. all the way to the press briefing being compiled. The distribution of that press release, how many eyes see it before air in the digital world, etc? How could you ever realistically contain that?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've always wondered how insider trading could possibly ever be contained. Between all of the talks of all parties involved in mergers, the finance side of it, negotiations, etc.. all the way to the press briefing being compiled. The distribution of that press release, how many eyes see it before air in the digital world, etc? How could you ever realistically contain that?
Ask the SEC.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
JPM making its like 7th or 8th attempt to break through and hold the resistance at $100. This is like Groundhog day at this point. I know how it will end. Where the fuck is Tom Cruise when you need him?

ps.. When the term "technicals" is used, this is a good example. Support and resistance lines are basic technical trading tools.

1596039023358.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Intel cleaning house of their engineering managers and no 7mm chips until 2022 will do that.

It's the right step for the situation they're in. Intel will turn it around, its just gonna take a long time to get there. And didn't kodak enter pharmaceuticals back in the 80s? They manufactured chemicals for photography before that. You may not think about it much, but very pure and technically precise chemicals has a lot of overlap between pharma and photography.

• 1Like