Investing General Discussion

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1CiYpgj.png

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The responses were funny, apparently it top'd at like 55, so the guy paid above its high then rode it straight down. And ppl slaying him for not using options etc.

That WSB shit is brutal. If I had started posting there a few years ago I'd either own islands or be living in a box.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It topped $60 after hitting halts like 5 or 6x on the way up. If you look however many pages back, I posted my KODK gains. Bought at around $26 and patted myself on the back for selling at $32... only to watch it halt a few more times on the way up. Either way, it was a fun and very profitable momentum trade.

Molten Core Raider
I'll admit some serious FOMO is kicking in on TSLA and APPL, after the split I can completely see these things rocketing right back up to the pre-split price with how odd the market is behaving lately. Ive never owned appl, but scalped TSLA once by accident. My account is usually too small to play with these and I haven't yet messed with fractionals.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'll admit some serious FOMO is kicking in on TSLA and APPL, after the split I can completely see these things rocketing right back up to the pre-split price with how odd the market is behaving lately. Ive never owned appl, but scalped TSLA once by accident. My account is usually too small to play with these and I haven't yet messed with fractionals.

Reason why I bought some more appl. They have a great product line, solid financials, etc. I like the company, I own two mac minis!

TSLA, I don't understand at all and it all seems hype to me. At least with appl I feel like im investing in something with meat.

I think these stock splits are going to work like a gimmick with many investors and for sure see them rising far more than they would otherwise because of it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It's been a while since we had the Tesla conversation, but the gist of it is it's a tech company not so much an auto maker.

I'm still hoping it drops, but with the split not a likely ...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
With electric everything, the future is with batteries. Pretty much everything else necessary in an EV is incredibly simple in design and function and not patentable anymore. The first company to patent a good usable 500wh/kg battery will literally change the world and print money. TSLA exists because of hype. If a 500 battery comes along and they can't use it in their cars they'll pass into the wind like a silent fart.

Now that isn't a likely scenario, but TSLA doesn't do anything particularly special. Their value is all hype, but it's best to remember that there's a LOT of hype.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TSLA is the OG meme stock. Nothing about its value makes any sense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fractionals are the easiest thing ever. You dont actually buy a part of a share, you just assign a dollar amount. For example you could say buy $500 of TSLA and it figures out the fraction of a share that appears in your portfolio. In someways doing dollar amounts is actually easier as you can assign portfolio weights to straight dollar amounts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
With electric everything, the future is with batteries. Pretty much everything else necessary in an EV is incredibly simple in design and function and not patentable anymore. The first company to patent a good usable 500wh/kg battery will literally change the world and print money. TSLA exists because of hype. If a 500 battery comes along and they can't use it in their cars they'll pass into the wind like a silent fart.

Now that isn't a likely scenario, but TSLA doesn't do anything particularly special. Their value is all hype, but it's best to remember that there's a LOT of hype.
This is why I am going with the rare earth play with FVAC. At $10 a share to get in on a US rare earth miner I figure its a decent bet.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is why I am going with the rare earth play with FVAC. At $10 a share to get in on a US rare earth miner I figure its a decent bet.

I'd use caution with that in terms of EV batteries. Lifepo4 has advanced far, and has a high chance of replacing cobalt batteries in EV related uses. It already has replaced cobalt in a lot of industrial applications (solar farms, ect). TSLA has explicitly stated interest in this and is already making some lifepo4 cars. Literally the only thing going for cobalt is that it is more energy dense, but the gap closes every year since cobalt is already near its theoretical limit, and lifepo4 is not. Comparison between the two formulas:

-Cobalt is currently a bit more energy dense (20-30%)

-Lifepo4 lasts much longer than cobalt.
-Lifepo4 is theoretically cheaper to make with mass production.
-Lifepo4 handles deep discharge and rundowns better.
-Lifepo4 has an extremely low risk of thermal runaway/fire
-Lifepo4 has a much more stable discharge wattage, almost freakishly stable.
-Lifepo4 contains NO RARE EARTHS

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'd use caution with that in terms of EV batteries. Lifepo4 has advanced far, and has a high chance of replacing cobalt batteries in EV related uses. It already has replaced cobalt in a lot of industrial applications (solar farms, ect). TSLA has explicitly stated interest in this and is already making some lifepo4 cars. Literally the only thing going for cobalt is that it is more energy dense, but the gap closes every year since cobalt is already near its theoretical limit, and lifepo4 is not. Comparison between the two formulas:

-Cobalt is currently a bit more energy dense (20-30%)

-Lifepo4 lasts much longer than cobalt.
-Lifepo4 is theoretically cheaper to make with mass production.
-Lifepo4 handles deep discharge and rundowns better.
-Lifepo4 has an extremely low risk of thermal runaway/fire
-Lifepo4 has a much more stable discharge wattage, almost freakishly stable.
-Lifepo4 contains NO RARE EARTHS
Rare earths have a ton of uses. EV batteries are just one.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fractionals are the easiest thing ever. You dont actually buy a part of a share, you just assign a dollar amount. For example you could say buy $500 of TSLA and it figures out the fraction of a share that appears in your portfolio. In someways doing dollar amounts is actually easier as you can assign portfolio weights to straight dollar amounts.
This is exactly what I started doing but not too much on the weights yet, just buying dollar amounts is much easier to me.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is exactly what I started doing but not too much on the weights yet, just buying dollar amounts is much easier to me.
Weights are pretty easy and actually pretty important. The key is to avoid the problem many people found who put all the retirement money into the stock of the company they worked for. So if you retired from GM, and all your pension and stock matches were in GM stock they tended to keep it there. Its a disaster waiting to happen. To protect one's portfolio, diversify and set a maximum that one stock can account for as a percentage of your portfolio. I have seen all different numbers (5%, 10% etc). ETFs help alot in terms of diversity, but say 50% of your portfolio is SPY and the other half is AAPL it is dangerous and susceptible to a black swan event hitting AAPL. Take your total dollars invested and multiply it by 5%, 10% or whatever number you like and try to maintain that cap for each individual stock. Its a safety mechanism. The same idea also applies to sectors. spreading your money out to 20 stocks but all 20 are in the tech sector can also set you up for a kick in the ass.