Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how many people are as autistic at recording their investments as me. I have an excel spreadsheet with the exact date and amount of all of my deposits, listing the ETFs I hold and the value when I bought sold them and a whole bunch of rows with things like bi-weekly returns, ect. One of the most interesting things to me is how the majority of my investments even after 15 years is my raw contributions. Going from a pretty lazy approach to saving to a more aggressive one has kept me ahead of the returns, and to me really shows how important it is to put as much cash in the game as you can. Making smart investments is only half the battle.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I wonder how many people are as autistic at recording their investments as me. I have an excel spreadsheet with the exact date and amount of all of my deposits, listing the ETFs I hold and the value when I bought sold them and a whole bunch of rows with things like bi-weekly returns, ect. One of the most interesting things to me is how the majority of my investments even after 15 years is my raw contributions. Going from a pretty lazy approach to saving to a more aggressive one has kept me ahead of the returns, and to me really shows how important it is to put as much cash in the game as you can. Making smart investments is only half the battle.

Do you still get your stock updates via ticker tape? Why would you need to do this? Does your brokerage not have a website that does all this for you?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Do you still get your stock updates via ticker tape? Why would you need to do this? Does your brokerage not have a website that does all this for you?

I have 3 different accounts in with firms that all do this, but I wanted one place with everything combined. And for some reason it was just fun for me to set up. Now that I have it done I can do things like sort my weeks from best to worst. I'm not sure that it provides terribly useful information more curio, hence why I called myself autistic for doing it.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
While I am an excellent nut, you do know that platforms give you all of that data at the push of a button. "View lots" shows you every purchase of a stock, date, time, amount, cost etc

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Analysts fucking all the options players on NVDA this morning. When it didnt spike last night lots of options holders with expiry of Friday bailed last night and this morning pre-market. Then the wave up upgrades started hitting and the stock did a 180 and is now up over 1%.

Remember boys and girls. You dont fuck Mr. Market. Mr. Market fucks you ;)

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Nasdaq up about half a point today, but almost 2/3rds of the index are red. This is another day where the big 5 or 6 tech companies are carrying the index up.

1597935153337.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I apologize for the length of this but if I just put a link it would be be behind a paywall. Anyway, as discussed a lot here, I believe in options as a method to make money in the market but at the same time I won't trade on margin (borrowed money). Whats discussed below doesn't involve borrowed money.

2 Stock-Option Strategies That Split the Difference Between Fear and Greed -- Barrons.com

Inertia may be the most powerful force in the universe.
If people increased their action levels by just a tenth, their lives, and especially their financial accounts, would almost certainly look a lot better.
But, in a world in which bosses or work processes often make decisions for people, inertia defines most people's actions. Such is the machinery of life.
This is especially true when it comes to investing. Inertia is an infection that harms investors' ability to accumulate wealth. In the absence of a framework for making decisions and for managing fear and greed, it's hard to truly progress in the markets beyond riding the bullish and bearish currents. You have to possess a decision-making framework in a chaotic environment, or else you are just a beta investor in an alpha world.

This call to action comes to mind after months of discussions with investors, many of whom are afraid to invest in equities even though the supposedly safe bond market mostly offers nonexistent returns. And, despite investors' fears, stocks continue to dance at record highs.
Still, it remains popular among the very wealthy and the commentariat to insist that stocks are disconnected from reality. That statement sounds suave and sophisticated, but stocks are always disconnected from reality -- that is, past reality. It's the nature of the stock market to always look to the future and try to determine what something will be worth tomorrow, and not today or yesterday.

We have long advocated selling cash-secured puts on blue-chip stocks that you are willing to own for a minimum of two to three years. We also have advocated a risk-reversal strategy that entails selling a put and buying a call with a higher strike price but same expiration. Now, some institutional investors, sophisticated players who always try to use options to control stocks for as little as possible, are evolving the approach.

Chris Jacobson, a Susquehanna Financial Group strategist, recently noted that some investors are selling puts and buying call spreads on many blue-chip stocks. The strategy monetizes the ever-present fear premium that defines bearish put options, while tempering the greed premium of so many bullish call options as the market trades around record high. Consider Walt Disney(DIS) , the entertainment conglomerate. We have recommended Disney(DIS) shares twice in the past six weeks, when the stock was at $113. Lately, Disney(DIS) has been trading around $130. One investor recently bought 4,000 January $140 calls and sold 4,000 January $155 calls, and also sold 4,000 January $110 puts for a small credit. The strategy allows the investor to buy shares at $110 and to profit from an advance to $155.

Similar trading occurred in Cisco System's (CSCO) November expiration, the December expirations for Bank of America (BAC), Citigroup (C), and Colony Capital (CLNY), and the January expirations for Comcast(CMCSA) , Starbucks(SBUX) , and Morgan Stanley (MS). The choice of stocks that are now harnessed by options is worth noting. Most of the companies are blue-chip stocks that have great staying power. They're the kind of names that any investor should want to own. For investors afraid to buy stocks because they fear a correction, options offer a way to rent stocks without buying them.

Jacobson wrote that investors -- or perhaps just one investor unconcerned about everyone knowing what he or she was up to -- appear to be using call spreads to profit from a stock's advance, while lowering the cost of upside positions by selling puts. The strategy, he noted, might make sense for investors hesitant to buy stocks that are rallying higher, yet do not want to miss out on any gains, while at the same time being willing to buy stocks at lower prices. That's one way to counter inertia.

Comments? E-mail us at [email protected]

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think Elon has taken the title of Greatest Showman from Barnum.

edit: TSLA surpassed WMT and JNJ this morning. it is now the 10th largest company by market cap. Mind-numbing.

1597946310023.png

• 2WTF
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
TSLA must have launched another rocket today. Over 1000 P/E? Time to set eyes on 2000. Things can only go up.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Feels like it might be time to bail on Tesla... Lol

But at this rate a single share will be worth a house

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Other than something like Enron or Lehman Bros, has there ever been a time with a company with capitalization in hundreds of billions just straight up cratered due to panic selling?

At this point, TSLA seems like a money printer. Barring someone dumping a gajillion shares and then everyone getting spooked and following, its hard to see how you can lose money here. Less than half of it is held by institutions.

If it declines, seems like it would decline slowly over weeks and you'd have plenty of time to think about it and bail out if you wanted to.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
it already broke 2000 around lunch time

I meant 2000 P/E, lol.

TSLA stock price is pure insanity. Eventually that bubble will burst, but hard to say what will trigger it. Anyways, I think we're years out from anything like that happening. TSLA is definitely leaving the corpses of a thousand short sellers and uncovered call writers in its wake, something I don't see changing short term.

• 1Like