Investing General Discussion

Khane

Got something right about marriage
And what is the expectation long term when the Fed essentially manipulates the market short term like that?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And what is the expectation long term when the Fed essentially manipulates the market short term like that?
In my opinion we were in a fucked if you do and fucked if you don't position. I expect for generations this question will be debated. Everything sort of stems back to the global depression of the 30's. Keynesian economics came about and got us out the Depression and became the defacto macro philosophy over Austrian. One can (and thousands have) spend a lifetime and career debating Austrian vs Keynesian macro. The underlying idea comes down to this... Yes it may take us years or decades to unfuck what was done to the economy but at least we still have an economy to unfuck. Keynes would say we did the right thing because the long run doesn't matter if the economy is destroyed in the short run. Hayek would say we fucked up and should have let it sort itself out and let the strong survive and the weak starve. Who is right?

giphy.gif

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think he was trying to temper expectations and avoid a huge run up and then a massive fall once battery day didnt give any huge surprises. He might be learning a thing or two about being a CEO. The stock is still at $2250 (pre-split value).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had thought they were buying equities. That's all I was saying.

There was all this talk about buying ETF's and the impact on the market. Usually when you say that, you think "stock market." Which is why I thought it was crazy they were injecting cash into that market.

But buying corporate bond ETF's is less crazy to me. There's more of a correlation there to securities/inflation that it sorta makes sense.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I know I should be going mostly cash, but damn I want to dump the last of my play money into Palantir.

Got a suspicion I'm part of the last suckers before the big crash.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had thought they were buying equities. That's all I was saying.

There was all this talk about buying ETF's and the impact on the market. Usually when you say that, you think "stock market." Which is why I thought it was crazy they were injecting cash into that market.

But buying corporate bond ETF's is less crazy to me. There's more of a correlation there to securities/inflation that it sorta makes sense.
When they said "buying ETFs" they didn't mean equity ETFs they meant bond ETFs like JNK and LQD.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know I should be going mostly cash, but damn I want to dump the last of my play money into Palantir.

Got a suspicion I'm part of the last suckers before the big crash.
Here is my question. Do you and the others think going to cash is the answer based on data or hunches? If you are seeing it in data then definitely follow the data. If its because of hunches then I question it.

I'm not saying the market wasn't due to correct (i actually posted it in this thread day or two before it hapoened). It was. It can probably drop another 5% and it won't surprise me. But then its going to go back up at some speed.

I'm not adding to IVV or QQQ because I think they are ahead of themselves still. But that doesn't mean there aren't companies that have been oversold because of index sales. Also consider the SNOW IPO. Invester sentiment is still voracious, especially for growth. If I am wrong I will ride the AAPLs and MSFTs down and then ride them back up.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I've got about 15k left in play money, just bought a house, and a decent amount of raw cash.

I think I have a pretty safe spread, but like everyone else I'd like to avoid any one of those things crashing with me in it

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anything can and will effect this market and anyone and everyone will blame each other for it. It's going to be a spider man meme for the next 3 months.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm expecting a Vaccine announcement in mid-to-late October whether there's actually a functional vaccine or not.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've got about 15k left in play money, just bought a house, and a decent amount of raw cash.

I think I have a pretty safe spread, but like everyone else I'd like to avoid any one of those things crashing with me in it
Pussy :p

Seriously though, I will just tell you to do what I do. Look for value. Every day. I have been moving more and more of my cash position into SPACS at the entry price of $10 not because they are great but because until a merger the money is sitting in escrow and I don't concern myself with a crash since I have a floor. If I make some profit on it while it sits there then bonus great. Most of the SPACS like this I am in are up 3-5% so to me thats just found money.