Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not a recommendation, and likely too in the money to work but could always roll it out a month as another option if you wanted to keep holding.
Found a sweet spot and rolled up from the $36 to the $37 and out to the 12/4 expiry. Kept my original 40 cents and banked another 25 cents on the roll. Worse case I make another $1 in share price if it keeps going up or look for another profitable roll in a couple of weeks.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like limited call options on GMHI, the 20 strike 12/18 at .45 looks tempting though. Wish there was something a bit higher though

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looks like limited call options on GMHI, the 20 strike 12/18 at .45 looks tempting though. Wish there was something a bit higher though
Closed up 20%. Crikey!

Excited Bear Grylls GIF by Chemical Guys

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For the first time in I cant remember when I have zero equity positions in my portfolio that are red. Its this giant column of green.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Little brother thought he'd never be able to afford a house in Denver by himself. Been working at Workiva since it was a start-up. Taking some of his compensation in the form of company shares. Last couple months of plague has apparently been very kind to Workiva, so he sold off a chunk of his stock to do the down payment on a house this week. He wasn't even bothering looking at the account to see what they were valued at, so apparently he thought they were still down in the Teens/20s.

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
For the first time in I cant remember when I have zero equity positions in my portfolio that are red. Its this giant column of green.

A little voice in my head keeps telling me not to be greedy with all the EV stocks that have run up. I really think I need to take out 50 percent of the positions next week at least.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A little voice in my head keeps telling me not to be greedy with all the EV stocks that have run up. I really think I need to take out 50 percent of the positions next week at least.
There is nothing wrong with taking profits. Or alternatively set trailing stop losses on all of them. Then you dont lose out on more gains.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Absolutely makes sense to take at least some profits. The EV run-up last week was quite drastic and arguably overcooked.

Personally, I would take half off the table and set the trailing stops on the remainder.

Pigs and hogs...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have always believed you learn more from your mistakes than from your successes. So I spent the morning analyzing my trading history for 2020. Come January I will only have a few weeks of additional data to add. I feel I have learned a ton of shit this year, some of it I learned here listening and speaking to board bros. The irony of my analysis is that the vast majority of my shitty trades can be attributed to basic rules that get preached all the time and that I broke. The other major factor was not seeing the depths to which our leaders would shutdown the economy. 90% of my bad trade lost $$ occurred in Feb and Mar. The bright side is that I learned and adapted.

In Feb/Mar I failed to cut my losses early and compounded this mistake by doubling down on my bad positions to "dollar cost average". DCA is great for passive investors dropping money each cycle into indexes over many years. It is horrible when you are in a bad trade and think you are going to "save a bad trade". My big three losers were:
XOM -27.65%
M -50.55%
BA Call options -75.06%
What made it worse was these were all large dollar trades that I kept buying as they kept sinking. The BA calls were early March and hindsight shows us that shit was doomed from the start.

From April on I only had 6 other loser trades and I was disciplined with these and my losses were cut early. One of them (CVS) came back strong after I sold so at least I had the trade right, I just didn't execute properly.
INTC -8.81%
CVS -6.32%
STX -6.41%
LCA -12.98%
BIIB -12.60%
FVVR -46.26% (This was a small dollar option play (so high percent but low dollar). I like FVRR as a company and I underestimated how much the stay-at-home movement would boost it).

I lost 1/10th the money on the bottom 6 compared to my losses on the top 3. I decided to share this to hopefully reinforce the things we talk about here and to maybe help people avoid the same mistakes. Golden rules of investing:
Leave you emotion at the door.
Let your winners run (with trailing stop loss orders to protect gains) and cut your losers short.
Don't dollar cost average a bad trade. Admit its a bad trade and walk away.
Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

To end of a more upbeat note, We talked a lot about SPACS and the roulette wheel. I did very well on SPACS. Very well. I think the key to doing well on them was to analyze the underlying SPAC vehicle (who is organizing it and how much they are making on it) as well as the underlying company. With the exception of PSTH, I did not invest in a SPAC that did not already have a trade partner. This allowed me to evaluate the future company and pick companies I liked in spaces I wanted to invest in. NKLA was a special beast, I was pretty sure it was vaporware from day 1 and made sure I was out the door with a profit long before the bagholders realized they were holding the bag.

VTIQ/NKLA +143%
SHLL/HYLN +240%
FVAC/MP +34%
GMHI/LAZR +21%
NFIN/TRIT +14%
PSTH +15%

I can't wait for 2021

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Looking at buying some of the following this week:

IDEX - EV stock, currently 1.54 per share. May get a couple hundred shares, they do deliver EV vehicles.

NNDM - Do stuff with Circuit boards and 3d printing. At around 4 bucks a share I may by a couple hundred shares to hold for awhile. May wait a bit to see if it drops more though. Company could be big.

Just recently fell so now may be a good time to get in and see what happens:

UAVS - Using Drones for Agriculture information and drone delivery. - Had a record Q3. only 2.8 a share.

While these are penny stocks really, they could turn into something worthwhile since each one actually does something and has a product / service in use vs just hype.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
what should i do about my 401K?

this is pathetic

View attachment 319255
You can spread out your 401 tax over 3 years right now or no tax if you pay it back within a year if I recall correctly. My company's 401k sucks ass since it's all centered around Berkshire. So they lumped a ton of crap vanguard in with it so you pretty much just reinvest in the company. I was hooked to the Tesla hopium and risked it all. Paid back that 401k and still made out with 13xs more money than I took out.

• 1Mother of God

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
What is everyone's opinions on margins? Does it make sense to utilize and draw them in times like these? I've been making money, but the 7ish percent interest is always there in the background.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
What is everyone's opinions on margins? Does it make sense to utilize and draw them in times like these? I've been making money, but the 7ish percent interest is always there in the background.

That's a big no for me. Not once, not ever.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pigs get fat. Hogs get margin calls at 2pm and go bankrupt.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
GMHI up another 10% this morning on real volume. The press it has gotten with the Daimler and Intel deals has really opened up eyes to this stock for people who never heard of it.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looking at buying some of the following this week:

IDEX - EV stock, currently 1.54 per share. May get a couple hundred shares, they do deliver EV vehicles.

NNDM - Do stuff with Circuit boards and 3d printing. At around 4 bucks a share I may by a couple hundred shares to hold for awhile. May wait a bit to see if it drops more though. Company could be big.

Just recently fell so now may be a good time to get in and see what happens:

UAVS - Using Drones for Agriculture information and drone delivery. - Had a record Q3. only 2.8 a share.

While these are penny stocks really, they could turn into something worthwhile since each one actually does something and has a product / service in use vs just hype.
Take a look at the financials of these companies. Especially the 5 yr revenue numbers. They are going to wrong way. These aren't "growth" stocks. They are "shrink" stocks.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

So GMHI is still going parabolic yet the 12/19 20 strike call is now at 0.95. I'm assuming it's due to the higher volume its now getting

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
No

• 1Like