Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So GMHI is still going parabolic yet the 12/19 20 strike call is now at 0.95. I'm assuming it's due to the higher volume its now getting
I went the other way and sold puts so I didn't look at the call side. I almost exclusively sell puts for my options plays anymore (except for covered calls). My puts prices are down 40% this morning so its finally reacting.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
MP running as well with everything EV. Up 11%

Set up a trailing stop loss.

edit: and it triggered. I set it really tight and it popped with a 51% gain. I still have puts active and I will see if it pulls back at some point which I think it will.

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I went the other way and sold puts so I didn't look at the call side. I almost exclusively sell puts for my options plays anymore (except for covered calls). My puts prices are down 40% this morning so its finally reacting.

Yeah I bought a put on GHMI last week for 12/18 that can be closed early this week at this rate. I'll take that free money any day.

Also you haven't made a call for PLTR to break 20 yet Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes , I am disappoint!

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I bought a put on GHMI last week for 12/18 that can be closed early this week at this rate. I'll take that free money any day.

Also you haven't made a call for PLTR to break 20 yet Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes , I am disappoint!
It needed about 9.3% to hit $20 today so we are getting close.

Boom - $20

Sold covered calls 12/18 expiry $35 strike. Got 35 cents for them. That's at a 75% stock rise to strike from current price. insane.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
yeah I can't keep pressing my luck, using margins to participate in these "hot big plays". I've started the process of selling to reduce my margin to zero.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
CDC issues a warning vs cruise lines = CCL still up 3.5% today

Clownworld

3 vaccines coming. Markets are forward looking. They are betting the pent up cruise demand will allow the lines to jack up prices and still fill boats. I booked a spring break cruise in Sept for Easter week 2021. I got tickets for under $700 each. They are now $1200 for the same ship and room category.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Do us a favor, show us what funds are available and what positions you are in (percentages not dollars)?

Also, does your company allow you to have a self-directed 401k option?
This is whats available

1606153080078.png
1606153119380.png

this is my current allocation. i had it set to "Aggressive" which allocated the funds according to their algo or whatever which is 95% stocks and 5% bonds
1606153223411.png

is there any better way of doing this than just looking at YTD and 3 year performance and going "oh that
1606153349999.png

had a 20% return YTD, i'm just gonna stuff all the money in there"?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This is whats available

View attachment 319403View attachment 319405

this is my current allocation. i had it set to "Aggressive" which allocated the funds according to their algo or whatever which is 95% stocks and 5% bonds
View attachment 319406

is there any better way of doing this than just looking at YTD and 3 year performance and going "oh that View attachment 319407
had a 20% return YTD, i'm just gonna stuff all the money in there"?

Ok, this is complete layman's advice and I am sure that you are going to get better from others; but this is what I do. I pick 2 large cap and 2 medium cap with the best performance history over the longest time frame. I do that because most 401k's have shit options (like yours) and you really aren't going to stick around at any one company for 15+ years to average out the ups and downs that can come with small cap ones. You also don't want to be in 20 different ones because in 401ks you are going to get some real losers.

If I were you I'd do the following 3 and the day after you leave the company move it to Vanguard and get in the Boglehead 3 Index's and don't check them ever.

50% (lowest expense ratio, so if you pick one to plow all of it into then pick this one because of low expense and it is the closest to matching the Russell 1000's gains)
1606154742256.png

25%
1606154660708.png

25%
1606154821947.png

To me it looks like the better performing fund below your option is the Russell 1000 Growth index and is showing how the fund performs against that index. You cannot get the 20.11% one; yours would be the 5.39% one.

Remember that I am not telling you to do this, just showing you what I would do in your shoes.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Ok, this is complete layman's advice and I am sure that you are going to get better from others; but this is what I do. I pick 2 large cap and 2 medium cap with the best performance history over the longest time frame. I do that because most 401k's have shit options (like yours) and you really aren't going to stick around at any one company for 15+ years to average out the ups and downs that can come with small cap ones. You also don't want to be in 20 different ones because in 401ks you are going to get some real losers.

If I were you I'd do the following 3 and the day after you leave the company move it to Vanguard and get in the Boglehead 3 Index's and don't check them ever.

50% (lowest expense ratio, so if you pick one to plow all of it into then pick this one because of low expense and it is the closest to matching the Russell 1000's gains)
View attachment 319413
25%
View attachment 319412
25%
View attachment 319414

To me it looks like the better performing fund below your option is the Russell 1000 Growth index and is showing how the fund performs against that index. You cannot get the 20.11% one; yours would be the 5.39% one.

Remember that I am not telling you to do this, just showing you what I would do in your shoes.

I get that is probably the best advice in this context but that still fucking horrible in general. No offense to you.

I'm seriously just thinking of taking out the whole amount for a year, stuffing it into some QQQ and putting it back in 12 months

0.8% YTD in this market. There's checking accounts that pay better interest than this

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I took my profits out of energy last week. Put it in thinking there would be a run up once people started getting around to moving around again. Didn't think about multiple vaccine bumps. Energy sector leading again today.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This is whats available

Those are some dogshit funds, just based on the expense ratios alone. If by chance this 401k is from a past job, roll that over into an IRA you control. Otherwise, you're kinda SOL.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I get that is probably the best advice in this context but that still fucking horrible in general. No offense to you.

I'm seriously just thinking of taking out the whole amount for a year, stuffing it into some QQQ and putting it back in 12 months

0.8% YTD in this market. There's checking accounts that pay better interest than this

Seriously, check with your company and see if they offer a self-directed option. You will have to sign a ton of disclosures to prove that you know that your returns are your own doing; but then you get the benefits of pre-tax money and putting it in whatever you want.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Seriously, check with your company and see if they offer a self-directed option. You will have to sign a ton of disclosures to prove that you know that your returns are your own doing; but then you get the benefits of pre-tax money and putting it in whatever you want.

talked to them and they do not

this is so gay

• 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Walmart got sued a few years back for offering just shit as their 401k options. I'm pretty sure all companies have to offer some basic low fee index type funds. Just a S&P index fund would of gotten you 10+ percent this year.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
talked to them and they do not

this is so gay
Does your work do matching? Just do the minimum for full matching and put it in aggressive and take the rest as pay then invest yourself. Best out of a bad situation.