Investing General Discussion

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

Out of my indexes, ETFS, spacs, and stocks, my biggest (and only) losers today are MSFT and NVDA. SMH

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Out of my indexes, ETFS, spacs, and stocks, my biggest (and only) losers today are MSFT and NVDA. SMH
Big tech was mostly red and the QQQ was down .5% so it makes sense. Today looked like a value rotation day which could be driven by fund rebalancing selling some profit in growth and putting it into lagging value.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So here's my current roster of Spacs that I researched (no I didn't just pick everything off of spactrack.com!)

DSAC
CCIV
CCX
APSG
GRSV
EXPC
ATAC
TREB
JIH
PCPL
WPF
GHIV
BTWN
BFT

A lot are still in the 10-11 range as I just got them last week. I'm probably going to keep BTWN, BFT, and GHIV until their mergers are voted on unless a parabolic event happens sooner

I put $2000 in GHIV a few days back, up $300 total return.

APXT did well today too.

I dunno why I sold THCB at $12 for mild profit. 😜

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BABA
Good thing I only bought a small position. I might add a bit once the dust settles and I see a floor develop

For anyone looking to play BABA today. Looks like last technical support at 220.

1608817783834.png

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
BTWN briefly touched 20 and is almost back down to 16 :( GHIV has had a couple of solid days in a row now, its merger is slated for Jan 21st I belive

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As much as I love money, I really don't want to touch anything China related
I 99% agree with you. I think BABA is their crown jewel and they wont kill it. This is about CCP and Jack Ma. Or its about providing Beijing Biden cover that they shouldn't be sanctioned because they are taking this stuff "seriously".

• 1Solidarity

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
BTWN briefly touched 20 and is almost back down to 16 :( GHIV has had a couple of solid days in a row now, its merger is slated for Jan 21st I belive

Since buying GHIV December 21st at $10.90:

8424CFCB-D02B-4D2F-9493-85296F0240D8.jpeg

Gonna be interesting to see how much it runs up during January. If it goes up to 14-15 I think I’ll sell.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since buying GHIV December 21st at $10.90:

View attachment 325048

Gonna be interesting to see how much it runs up during January. If it goes up to 14-15 I think I’ll sell.
My advice is to have a target to bail out and sweep profits off the table. Do this for every trade. "see how far it runs up in January" shouldn't be a viable strategy. Decide on a point and unless you see concrete reasons to change, stick with it. It could 20% profit. 50% profit etc. Remove as much emotion out of it as you are able.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
My advice is to have a target to bail out and sweep profits off the table. Do this for every trade. "see how far it runs up in January" shouldn't be a viable strategy. Decide on a point and unless you see concrete reasons to change, stick with it. It could 20% profit. 50% profit etc. Remove as much emotion out of it as you are able.

Thanks for the help. Well, that’s what I’m kinda doing, I think...this is all fun money anyway so I’m not very emotional about it, nothing I need to live on. If it gets up to 15 this month (or next week!) I’ll sell it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TRIT +26%
New 52 high

edit: and bought to close my $12.50 Jan puts at the bottom at 75 cents, so a 35 cent profit. Not great but with the volatility of this stock I prefer the 32% gain and closing out the position for now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thanks for the help. Well, that’s what I’m kinda doing, I think...this is all fun money anyway so I’m not very emotional about it, nothing I need to live on. If it gets up to 15 this month (or next week!) I’ll sell it.
I am not trying to sound like a dick. Its just my nature to look at this very analytically. I never think of this as "fun money". Treat every treat like its what you are going eat on tomorrow. If you like the $15 exit point then as soon as it gets to $15 set a trailing stop and then if it runs higher you keep making money, and if it drops afterwards your gain is protected at that target.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I am not trying to sound like a dick. Its just my nature to look at this very analytically. I never think of this as "fun money". Treat every treat like its what you are going eat on tomorrow. If you like the $15 exit point then as soon as it gets to $15 set a trailing stop and then if it runs higher you keep making money, and if it drops afterwards your gain is protected at that target.

Oh no I didn’t take it as you sounding like a dick at all! Appreciate the tips from more experienced people.

So if you like to sell something at $15, you set that up automatically to sell at that price I take it?

Unrelated: Just bought 200 shares of GIK at $14.19, it dipped down a dollar briefly.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh no I didn’t take it as you sounding like a dick at all! Appreciate the tips from more experienced people.

So if you like to sell something at $15, you set that up automatically to sell at that price I take it?

Unrelated: Just bought 200 shares of GIK at $14.19, it dipped down a dollar briefly.

Setting up automatically to sell at 15 is just a regular limit order. If it goes over 15 dollars and you set it as a "stop limit" for 15, if it continues to go up, you don't sell and can get more profit, but if it goes back down to 15, it will sell automatically for 15

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Ohhh I get it now. The trailing stop. Yeah I gotta start using that! I’ve just been manually doing everything. That’s a no brainer I reckon.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

The first advice I will give you is to spend many hours going back through this thread. There is a ton of quality advice that has been posted. Thsi goes hand in hand with the 2nd advice, which is to read and watch videos to educate yourself on finance and the market. There isn't one right way to invest. But the more you know the better your odds of being of the right side of a trade. 3rd advice is to instantly focus on the different types of orders your brokerage house uses. Learn what a limit order is and how to use it (in conjunction with learning what the bid/ask spread is), and also the various stop/loss orders and how to use them. Order usage is really critical.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BABA getting close to the 250-day support level of $220.72. I have a buy at $221. If it doesnt bounce here then it has a long way to fall. For anyone brave I think $221 is a good entry price for a long term hold.