Investing General Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
AAPL is really pissing me off. If it would just make a move up I would feel safe letting my QQQ puts expire tomorrow. I am up 70% so far but would ideally like to close them out for a nickle or so which would give me about 93% profit.
A buddy of mine and I always joke about apple announcements and their stock. Every time they outperform and break records their stock goes down. Don’t meet expectations? Goes up. They’ve always been weird like that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

taebin

Same trailer, different park
MSFT is funny historically, it doesnt go parabolic like some other stocks. Its kinda like the grandpa of the tech stocks. AAPL is becoming the same way. It hit a 52 high today so its doing well, it just doesnt make giant moves anymore. But it will make you a good chunk of money year in and year out. It is my number 1 core long term holding. I put it above AAPL.
Unfortunately I bought AAPL, not MSFT.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Unfortunately I bought AAPL, not MSFT.
I am a dumbass sorry. I misread your post.
In A Box Reaction GIF

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes I'd just go the stop route on the QQQ puts. If you really dont want those shares then protect it. If SPY holds 378 on a back test then I think we are going to stabilize. These wild swings normally portend more volatility to come.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes I'd just go the stop route on the QQQ puts. If you really dont want those shares then protect it. If SPY holds 378 on a back test then I think we are going to stabilize. These wild swings normally portend more volatility to come.
Its the QQQ so I dont have a problem owning them at the price. I just did not anticipate the reaction to AAPL with those results. Whither goes AAPL, so goes the QQQ. With expiry tomorrow, time decay is my friend. On the other hand, I also dont want to be a hog.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Finally figured out the best (seemingly) way to get my money out of Robinhood. I put it in their Robinhood bank account which I just created, and then I was easily able to start the transfer. Guess I won't be doing any more trading really until next week. Oh well.

• 1Solidarity

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Apple had a huge runup prior to earnings while Microsoft hadn't seen much of one for a while, thats the big difference. The iPhone 12 supercycle was priced in long ago and this earnings was the first showing of it. Absurd, absurd earnings, but Apple's P/E is near 40 while Microsoft's is 35. It seems like the market won't push the P/E of these established tech giants too much over 40, and that makes sense.

Apple's market cap is so huge now that it may be unrealistic to expect to see it to rise much on earnings, especially when it rose so much prior. 2.4 Trillion. It has to add 120 billion to its market cap just to go up 5%.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Finally figured out the best (seemingly) way to get my money out of Robinhood. I put it in their Robinhood bank account which I just created, and then I was easily able to start the transfer. Guess I won't be doing any more trading really until next week. Oh well.
It probably goes without saying, but make sure you account for the taxes you are going to owe on that chunk of profits next year.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Aren't short term at your regular income level?

That's what a calculator was telling me. That will put me over $200k for 2021 taxes, I'm usually $140-150 or so, not sure if it'll bump me into anything new. I'm really bad at that kinda stuff.

Might have to actually get an accountant to do my taxes next year.

• 1Seriously?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's what a calculator was telling me. That will put me over $200k for 2021 taxes, I'm usually $140-150 or so, not sure if it'll bump me into anything new. I'm really bad at that kinda stuff.

Might have to actually get an accountant to do my taxes next year.
if you want PM your last years filing status (single, married join/separate), your AGI and your total deduction $ amount. Then add in how much you have in short term gains this year. If you haven't done 2020 then just give me 2019 info. I will give you the ballpark.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Just put 1k into an ETF. What a rush, I feel like the Wolf of Wall Street.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Tell me about it. After you posted how bad they beat earnings I immediately dropped $2,500 on them at $142 expecting it to spike, and it's done jack shit. WTF is wrong here.

Big money knows about earnings long before retail.

Retail doesn't invest in fucking msft. Lol