Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, looks like I missed the boat on CCIV. Just narrowly missed getting it a week ago since it was the top thing on the list of what I didn't get to before I used up last week's investing budget. Looking at it now and I would have been waaay better off just pushing the budget and getting it back then.

Welp, that's another hundo for ZNTE or Uber.

Why am I buying Uber? They just announced the acquisition of another company that specializes in alcohol delivery. I'm expecting more pandemic and more people getting alcohol delivered so they can be drunk at home, so I think Uber is going to see some gains. They definitely saw short-term gains this week (I bought it the day of the announcement and it went up every day since). Also expect Uber to be at the forefront of any self-driving taxi innovations long-term. Worked for them briefly in the past as a weekend gig, and I can say firsthand: That company would LOVE to boot all of its human drivers to the curb and keep 100% of the profits the first chance they get.

Shutdowns are already easing up as soon as Biden got inaugurated. Banking on alcohol delivery to move stock price doesnt make a lot of sense to me, but maybe I'm misreading the situation. I think Uber stock will continue to go up but for the opposite reason. Less pandemic bullshit in major urban areas now that Dems have Biden back in the WH, more restaurants/bars open, more ridership.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any of you guys scouted the following SPACs? Going to pick them all up Monday (sans new info):

CPUH.U
TVAC
ETACU
AAC-UN
COVAU

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Shutdowns are already easing up as soon as Biden got inaugurated. Banking on alcohol delivery to move stock price doesnt make a lot of sense to me, but maybe I'm misreading the situation. I think Uber stock will continue to go up but for the opposite reason. Less pandemic bullshit in major urban areas now that Dems have Biden back in the WH, more restaurants/bars open, more ridership.

I'm banking on the long-term expectation that they'll be at the forefront of self-driving taxis. However in the short-term the alcohol delivery might have some gains to it. Also, yeah, now that we're getting the propaganda that COVID is winding down (even as the numbers don't show that...) people will be going out more.

Maybe this belongs in the politics thread but I gotta say...I've taken COVID seriously the whole time, but it is beyond clear that it got exploited/exaggerated to keep most people terrified. The fact is, they're going to cast it aside now that they're done bludgeoning Trump with it, even though it's still out there and still as much of a threat to the old as it ever was. A lot of old folks are going to die unnecessarily because they think everything is safe before everything is, in fact, safe. It served its purpose, now it goes on the shelf until they need to fearmonger people into submission again. Yeah, the Powers That Be would have done anything to tank the guy they didn't like. For all we know, right now we'd be in the middle of an actual insurrection / revolution if he won in a blowout victory. 'Cause these people will throw the whole country under the bus and run it over if they aren't in power.

Back to stonks.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I'm banking on the long-term expectation that they'll be at the forefront of self-driving taxis. However in the short-term the alcohol delivery might have some gains to it. Also, yeah, now that we're getting the propaganda that COVID is winding down (even as the numbers don't show that...) people will be going out more.

Maybe this belongs in the politics thread but I gotta say...I've taken COVID seriously the whole time, but it is beyond clear that it got exploited/exaggerated to keep most people terrified. The fact is, they're going to cast it aside now that they're done bludgeoning Trump with it, even though it's still out there and still as much of a threat to the old as it ever was. A lot of old folks are going to die unnecessarily because they think everything is safe before everything is, in fact, safe. It served its purpose, now it goes on the shelf until they need to fearmonger people into submission again. Yeah, the Powers That Be would have done anything to tank the guy they didn't like. For all we know, right now we'd be in the middle of an actual insurrection / revolution if he won in a blowout victory. 'Cause these people will throw the whole country under the bus and run it over if they aren't in power.

Back to stonks.

For Uber to be at forefront of self driving taxis, they would have to own and service their own automated fleets. They dont have the capital for that. They've been relying on the vehicles of their "employees" to build their entire business.

I think that is a bad misread for what the long term future of Uber is like. When you consider what the most prized asset of Uber is, its just their large rider/driver userbase. They don't have any proprietary tech that is valuable, they don't have any assets that are valuable, and they still run in the red every quarter. Their tech itself is easily replicable and others already do it (Lyft, Bolt, Juno, plus 100+ ride sharing companies around the world)

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Way above Roth income limits, would have to backdoor and I plan on being in a much lower tax bracket at retirement (currently in the 35% tax bracket)
Damn, I feel like my wife and I are getting raped by the government at 24%. Can't imagine 35%.

Speaking of taxes, anyone a tax attorney or CPA? Can I "hire" my kids to do a commercial for my company and shift some of my salary to them to lower my tax burden?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Can I "hire" my kids to do a commercial for my company and shift some of my salary to them to lower my tax burden?

tldr; It can save taxes, but you have to pay them a market rate for real work. From personal experience from working for my dad's business growing up, it's also a great way to get audited so make sure you document EVERYTHING.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Rais

Trakanon Raider
CCIV is at $35, there is no point in buying it.

ZNTE is one the best out of all of those.

tldr; It can save taxes, but you have to pay them a market rate for real work. From personal experience from working for my dad's business growing up, it's also a great way to get audited so make sure you document EVERYTHING.
CCIV is at $35, there is no point in buying it.

ZNTE is one the best out of all of those.
I’m about 800k Shares on HCMC and pumping CCIV. I am pretty sure I am set for biggly returns in the next 2 weeks.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
For Uber to be at forefront of self driving taxis, they would have to own and service their own automated fleets. They dont have the capital for that. They've been relying on the vehicles of their "employees" to build their entire business.

I think that is a bad misread for what the long term future of Uber is like. When you consider what the most prized asset of Uber is, its just their large rider/driver userbase. They don't have any proprietary tech that is valuable, they don't have any assets that are valuable, and they still run in the red every quarter. Their tech itself is easily replicable and others already do it (Lyft, Bolt, Juno, plus 100+ ride sharing companies around the world)

That's a good point. They would need to gradually phase out their employees while slowly phasing in their own automated vehicle buys. Unless they got a large infusion of capital from somewhere, I don't know how that would work. Maybe the frontrunner of self-driving taxi fleets will be a company made from the ground-up for that very purpose instead, a company that can challenge Uber while Uber struggles to adjust. I can see the ad campaign now: "Our automated vehicles are 36% safer than an Uber, and won't tell you all about their relationship problems"

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
That's a good point. They would need to gradually phase out their employees while slowly phasing in their own automated vehicle buys. Unless they got a large infusion of capital from somewhere, I don't know how that would work. Maybe the frontrunner of self-driving taxi fleets will be a company made from the ground-up for that very purpose instead, a company that can challenge Uber while Uber struggles to adjust. I can see the ad campaign now: "Our automated vehicles are 36% safer than an Uber, and won't tell you all about their relationship problems"
They don't have employees, they have independent contractors. That is the foundation of their business model- that is Uber.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's going on with SAII? Unlike the other SPACs I have, it hasn't been moving. Got it about a week ago and it hasn't budged much from 11.00. Is the Otonomo merger too far away for people to be jumping onboard... or did I invest too late? It's concerning to see no activity around one SPAC while the others all seem to be gathering support by the day.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What's going on with SAII? Unlike the other SPACs I have, it hasn't been moving. Got it about a week ago and it hasn't budged much from 11.00. Is the Otonomo merger too far away for people to be jumping onboard... or did I invest too late? It's concerning to see no activity around one SPAC while the others all seem to be gathering support by the day.
Most spacs sit for months with no movement. They aren’t all rocket ships, those are exceptions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Question for you nerds.

My current job's 401k is moving to Fidelity where I have my 401k from back at General Motors. Can I roll them together at this point or is some other event required?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There doens't seem to be a lot of hype around SAII and their target at the moment. It didn't get a lot of movement on the announcement of the DA, so that's concerning.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Question for you nerds.

My current job's 401k is moving to Fidelity where I have my 401k from back at General Motors. Can I roll them together at this point or is some other event required?
Should be able to roll them together, and can do it online with Fidelity

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there any drawback or any other consideration about this I should be awares of?
Nope, just need to make sure your account type is the same i.e. rolling over from roth to roth or traditional to traditional. Other than that, it's a pretty common practice, just a matter of waiting a couple of days for the funds/shares to transfer.

• 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Golden rule:

Unless you are maxing out your pre tax retirements you have no business with a post tax investing account.

I know some folks here also mentioned HSAs so what would be the the best order of operations in which to min/max various pretax accounts (401K, IRA, HSA, etc.)?

The order below makes sense but wanted to get a separate opinion.

1612701626583.png

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I think depends on age and what kind of savings level. If someone is making a lot of money and is young and follows that list they will find themselves very retirement account rich and unable to retire early without penalty. For anyone who has a long way to go but over 40yrs old looks pretty spot on. HSA is the only part that I think is subjective in that people with Cadillac plans it’s complete unnecessary .

I would normally recommend skipping 5 and going to 6 to give you more financial flexibility with what happens with that wealth