Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I still don't understand how to reclassify my 2020 Traditional IRA contributions into Roth IRA contributions before I file my taxes.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I still don't understand how to reclassify my 2020 Traditional IRA contributions into Roth IRA contributions before I file my taxes.

AFAIK, you can't. You have to contact your administrator and reverse your tIRA contribution and make a separate Roth contribution. You'll get a form reporting a non-taxable disbursement from your tIRA for an amount that you'll have to file as income in 2021.

Fixing contributions is a giant fucking pain, and why I never make them until I've finalized my taxes.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
AFAIK, you can't. You have to contact your administrator and reverse your tIRA contribution and make a separate Roth contribution. You'll get a form reporting a non-taxable disbursement from your tIRA for an amount that you'll have to file as income in 2021.

Fixing contributions is a giant fucking pain, and why I never make them until I've finalized my taxes.

I think she's talking about backdooring (heh heh heh) a Roth. AFAIK you just create a Roth, and rollover the funds from the traditional into the Roth.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think she's talking about backdooring (heh heh heh) a Roth. AFAIK you just create a Roth, and rollover the funds from the traditional into the Roth.
No, I'm not, he has it right. I made my annual IRA contribution for 2020 back when the market was bottomed out, so I could invest in more mutual funds, but I made a traditional IRA contribution because I expected to make less money, rather than a Roth IRA contribution. I still ended up making 130kish last year, so I want to change that contribution for 2020 to a Roth IRA contribution, as there is is no tax benefit for a traditional IRA contribution given the amount of money I made.

I believe this is what I'm supposed to fill out but... idk.

Captain Suave

No, I'm not, he has it right. I made my annual IRA contribution for 2020 back when the market was bottomed out, so I could invest in more mutual funds, but I made a traditional IRA contribution because I expected to make less money, rather than a Roth IRA contribution. I still ended up making 130kish last year, so I want to change that contribution for 2020 to a Roth IRA contribution, as there is is no tax benefit for a traditional IRA contribution given the amount of money I made.

I believe this is what I'm supposed to fill out but... idk.

Ouch. If your 2020 tIRA funds have been in the market long enough to accrue gains that's a whole other can of worms. You'll have to extract the gains from the account that derive from your 2020 contribution, declare those as income in 2021, and possibly pay penalties. The paperwork is miserable.

IMO just leave them as is, consider this a lesson learned, and in the future don't make contributions for a given tax year until you've finalized your filing and are 100% sure of your elicitability for contribution.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You'll have to extract the gains from the account that derive from your 2020 contribution, declare those as income in 2021
I don't think that's true as long as I file the proper paperwork before the tax filing deadline.

But that's why I want a tax expert to tell me.

Captain Suave

I don't think that's true as long as I file the proper paperwork before the tax filing deadline.

But that's why I want a tax expert to tell me.

You will. I had to go through this shit over $6 a few years back. That money has been accruing market gains into 2021 and there isn't any clean way to hit an "undo" button.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
This is an interesting thought, as I've been prioritizing tax-advantaged savings since an early age. I just checked and about 30% of my investment assets are in retirement accounts. I'm assuming that's not a high enough fraction to cause problems if we should decide to retire before 65. (Fortunately for us, we're in a financial position to do so whenever we can shift our housing situation to an area not inflated by school districts. In ~12 years when our youngest is out of high school and we know exactly what the family secondary education costs will be, we'll give it serious thought. #firstworldproblems, I know.)

If you retire before 65 you can take your 401k money out penalty free before 65 too. Its called the rule of 55 (50 for certain jobs like firefighter/police, etc).

fris

Vyemm Raider
Question for you nerds.

My current job's 401k is moving to Fidelity where I have my 401k from back at General Motors. Can I roll them together at this point or is some other event required?
Why not convert the old 401k to a traditional ira?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

billymain

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
so i've been pursuing a slow growing long hold/retirement plan position in something that is more ubiquitously consumed than even the memiest of meme stonks. concrete. or carbon neutral cement..or even carbon positive cement. with the world in general / Paris climate agreement aiming for reduced carbon emissions and Biden administration focusing US toward this, attention for carbon capture tech from elon in the form of 100m reward, concrete is the most widely used man made resource in the world, 2nd most consumed resource after water, is responsible for ~8% of global emissions and the Paris climate agreement has the benchmark set for the cement industry to reduce emissions by 16% by 2030.

still early stage but opinions from the big brains ?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
If you retire before 65 you can take your 401k money out penalty free before 65 too. Its called the rule of 55 (50 for certain jobs like firefighter/police, etc).

You can also sepp and amoritization schedule to early withdrawl. For the amoritization path you'll definitely want to hire a CPA to fill the paperwork, its a mess and if the IRS thinks your schedule request isn't reasonable in their eyes, they come in hot after the fact to raze your account down. SEPP is probably the most available early withdrawal path, and is available to anyone at any age.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
so i've been pursuing a slow growing long hold/retirement plan position in something that is more ubiquitously consumed than even the memiest of meme stonks. concrete. or carbon neutral cement..or even carbon positive cement. with the world in general / Paris climate agreement aiming for reduced carbon emissions and Biden administration focusing US toward this, attention for carbon capture tech from elon in the form of 100m reward, concrete is the most widely used man made resource in the world, 2nd most consumed resource after water, is responsible for ~8% of global emissions and the Paris climate agreement has the benchmark set for the cement industry to reduce emissions by 16% by 2030.

still early stage but opinions from the big brains ?
After garbage, concrete is the mob's #1 source of income.

Captain Suave

Interesting, but this only works for the 401(k) from your current job at 55. You can't withdraw early from retirement plans under different employers.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Lol dogecoin today.

I just looked at my history, at one point I had 1 million coins and another time I bought and sold 777,000 coins.

Wonder how far it’ll go.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That would have been a nice payday about now. Why did you buy so many dogecoins in the first place?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That would have been a nice payday about now. Why did you buy so many dogecoins in the first place?
Make It Rain Money GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users