Investing General Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That's actually helpful advice. My instinct was to just hold through the downturn and try and buy more at the bottom, but I didn't know if there was anything else to it tbh.
If you’re already holding a lot and you think it’s going to crash crash, you can sell stuff that’s in the green. Stuff that’s in the red or low gain you can just hang on to. Wait until the crash has settled then start buying with all the cash you have from selling the green.

That was what I did during last years crash and how I was able to come out so ahead. I got lucky in that it was a crash crash and not just a normal red day is all. If it was just a downturn day or week I would’ve left a lot of gains on the table and missed out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is something to be added to the the thread on basics at some point. How to actually make an educated decisions as to "where the bottom is". Technical analysis is something every investor should at least take a look at and understand the basics.

For example... What were you looking to buy more of at the bottom?

My long-term stuff mainly. Palantir, ZYNE right now (I need more long-term stocks). Obviously not my SPACs

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you’re already holding a lot and you think it’s going to crash crash, you can sell stuff that’s in the green. Stuff that’s in the red or low gain you can just hang on to. Wait until the crash has settled then start buying with all the cash you have from selling the green.

That was what I did during last years crash and how I was able to come out so ahead. I got lucky in that it was a crash crash and not just a normal red day is all. If it was just a downturn day or week I would’ve left a lot of gains on the table and missed out.
I find this to be terrible advice. Nothing personal, but you need to cut losers and hang onto winners. If your green trades are holding up well in an overall market downturn, they should not be sold off to cover weaker positions. Sometimes averaging down can work if you are buying at some critical support levels, but not just blindly selling winners to add to losers. You can incur some massive losses adding into weakness.

I'd think Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes and Blazin Blazin would likely agree.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
On less of a joke side my current Weed holdings are:

YOLO
THCX
SNDL
TGODF
NEPT
OGI
EGOV

This gives me a taste, so to speak, of various elements of the industry. There are Cannabis related ETFs, Growers, Food and Beverage and even a tech services company that services local and federal governments with new initiatives to help said governments regulate marijuana as it gets legalized.

The TGODF buy was purely a meme buy. The others I like long term.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My long-term stuff mainly. Palantir, ZYNE right now (I need more long-term stocks). Obviously not my SPACs
Here is my take. Before you keep trading, you should really sit down with yourself and develop a plan or strategy. What do you want to accomplish? Long term investing is very nearly the opposite of swing/day trading.

If you goal is long term buy and hold, then you need to assemble a list of stock that you feel will be around for a long time and have solid fundamentals or a solid product/service if they are growth stocks. If PLTR is a long term buy and hold, then you dont worry about what to do with it. You buy it and you hold it. I guess the other is a weed stock and I have no input on that since I dont follow them.

More than anything else you need a strategy. Once you have that, then you can develop a plan and choose stocks that fit into your plan.

This should be step one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I find this to be terrible advice. Nothing personal, but you need to cut losers and hang onto winners. If your green trades are holding up well in an overall market downturn, they should not be sold off to cover weaker positions. Sometimes averaging down can work if you are buying at some critical support levels, but not just blindly selling winners to add to losers. You can incur some massive losses adding into weakness.

I'd think Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes and Blazin Blazin would likely agree.
Yeah I could have worded that better. I hung on to good companies regardless, like intel at the time. Kept good companies that were green like apple, Microsoft, long term holds.

Companies that were green for no reason other than the market were running up I would sell. I also sold some red like XOM just to get out and get cash to put into better places. Did that with intel eventually too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A Plan GIF by BDHCollective

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
On less of a joke side my current Weed holdings are:

YOLO
THCX
SNDL
TGODF
NEPT
OGI
EGOV

This gives me a taste, so to speak, of various elements of the industry. There are Cannabis related ETFs, Growers, Food and Beverage and even a tech services company that services local and federal governments with new initiatives to help said governments regulate marijuana as it gets legalized.

The TGODF buy was purely a meme buy. The others I like long term.

Just out of curiosity, did you really just pick TGODF bc of the name, or is there word of a meme play on the nets?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Okay boys, now the TGODF buy is making me a little paranoid. I just got a robo call from a number from Mississauga Ontario. They wanted to let me know I can drop the interest rate on my credit cards.

The Green Organic Dutchman's HQ is in Mississauga Ontario.

We've been compromised.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
mmmhmm, and of COURSE I set a covered call on Nvidia at 605 thinking "oh it will never reach that by the 19th". I need to seriously reevaluate my CC strategy and set way higher strikes all around.
In your defense they’ve been stalled for like six months. I have some and have been debating on selling it because it has just done nothing for a long time. I also don’t see their supply catching up to demand any time soon. I can’t imagine their earnings are going to be anywhere near where they should be.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm going to clutch my pearls and sell IWM (Small Caps) I bought in March today (I'm up 89%) , this is 401k which I almost never touch but I'm going to take a chance on trying to gain some alpha on the market and look for a pullback. I strongly believe IWM will outperform this year but there is going to be some give back from this hyperbolic move. If I get it wrong and have to buy back higher I'll do so since this is my long term passive portfolio. Not a recommendation to follow me if in it, I think it will likely be higher than this at year end.

Capture.JPG

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Okay boys, now the TGODF buy is making me a little paranoid. I just got a robo call from a number from Mississauga Ontario. They wanted to let me know I can drop the interest rate on my credit cards.

The Green Organic Dutchman's HQ is in Mississauga Ontario.

We've been compromised.
What's this "we" shit, Kemosabe?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm going to clutch my pearls and sell IWM (Small Caps) I bought in March today (I'm up 89%) , this is 401k which I almost never touch but I'm going to take a chance on trying to gain some alpha on the market and look for a pullback. I strongly believe IWM will outperform this year but there is going to be some give back from this hyperbolic move. If I get it wrong and have to buy back higher I'll do so since this is my long term passive portfolio. Not a recommendation to follow me if in it, I think it will likely be higher than this at year end.

View attachment 334149
Totally normal chart for an index fund. Lol we are in clown world.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I also just received a call from Ontario asking me if I was interested in low health insurance rates