Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just an update on the TD Ameritrade shenanigans. Sounds like an absolutely massive issue if they are manually adjusting accounts! Surprised this isn't being covered by the finance networks.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Just an update on the TD Ameritrade shenanigans. Sounds like an absolutely massive issue if they are manually adjusting accounts! Surprised this isn't being covered by the finance networks.

Bout to whistle blower, dude?

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
I'm in on CLEU might be a tad late now. Well see what happens in about 15 minutes!
Bah was a hog here. Didnt lock in 50% gains hoping for 100% so I settled for less than a percent today. Good example of why having a plan is important.

I hope this post doesnt age as poorly as that one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Government agencies are constrained in some ways private companies are not. Many agencies have already made a habit of buying personal data from private companies rather than trying to obtain that data via their own investigative tools: A surprising number of government agencies buy cellphone location data. Lawmakers want to know why.

I'm guessing these same government agencies will be Palantir's biggest customers.

What's with this new trend of news article headlines consisting of dramatic sentences? I feel like it's only been happening since 2016. "She was harassed and bullied for speaking her mind. A congresswoman speaks out." Stuff like that.

Anyway, I wish I'd gotten in on PSTH earlier. Was looking at it early-on but ended up passing on it.

PLTR has gone below my investment so I'm officially in the losing stage on that one. I'm assuming it'll rebound fairly strongly though.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In other news MSFT and PYPL keep wracking up new 52-week highs. And CRM has gone crazy this morning +4% That CRM dip buy on the WORK acquisition news paying big dividends.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
re: Moglyzoke Moogleman Moglyzoke Moogleman

Having some profit targets and a trade plan is absolutely essential. It has completely altered my trading (day / swings). Set some easy % based profit targets and book some actual profit instead of holding and hoping for a homerun every trade. I typically book profit 2-3%, 5-6%, 10%+. Just tiny pieces along the way. It is nice because it also builds a profit cushion if the trade goes against you for a short period of time. I am far more likely to let a stock dip below my entry when I already grabbed some profit along the way.

This method has allowed me to consistently book profit vs just holding and hoping for a big win from every trade. Consistency with base hits / doubles / triples are going to pay more in the long run than just swinging for the fences every time you are up to bat.

The only exception to this rule for me, personally, are my SPAC positions. Most I try and enter as close to nav as possible, so I am just waiting for the merger news / rumors.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
you still buying UBER Rajaah Rajaah ?

I do indeed still have Uber. I've made about a 15% profit on it. Bought right when they announced their acquisition of the alcohol company with the dumb name.

After reading this, I may want to just sell and lock in the profits I made. The company doesn't seem like a long-term winner if historically they were losing money to THAT extent.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bought some WWR at 8.65. Originally bought a month ago at 5, sold at 8, it ran up to 11 last week and then dipped down under 10 on the last two sell offs last week. Graphite play in sympathy with all the EV/Battery craze. I also have 10$ puts for March.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Everytime I think we have gotten too far into the /wsb "to the moon" day trade craze, I wonder over to the crypto thread we have and realize we are more like Boomer value investors.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Everytime I think we have gotten too far into the /wsb "to the moon" day trade craze, I wonder over to the crypto thread we have and realize we are more like Boomer value investors.
I still can't even rationalize the crypto thing.

If the entire purpose of them is as a store of value and trade (like a currency), then investing in it for "massive gains" makes no sense.

If it's not currency and as an investment, what the hell gives it any value to keep increasing?

It's essentially a pump and dump on a massive scale, with longer timelines. No one is using arbitrage on forex markets hoping for a Zimbabwe situation, but that's exactly what crypto is banking on. Regularly.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I still can't even rationalize the crypto thing.

If the entire purpose of them is as a store of value and trade (like a currency), then investing in it for "massive gains" makes no sense.

If it's not currency and as an investment, what the hell gives it any value to keep increasing?

It's essentially a pump and dump on a massive scale, with longer timelines. No one is using arbitrage on forex markets hoping for a Zimbabwe situation, but that's exactly what crypto is banking on. Regularly.
I did find an alt coin that is tide to gold. They issue coins and they hold in storage enough physical gold to peg the alt coin at 0.01 gram of gold. If they issue more coins they buy and store more gold. Supposedly the gold storage is independently audited and verified monthly.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I should start posting my individual stock buys so you all can avoid them. Bought in PLTR at $32.90 and it just continued to skid down.

Bought some more at $29 this morning, and well, I'm negative on that now too.

Add that to my -50% AMC play, and I'm fucking terrible at this.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Diamond Hands
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I should start posting my individual stock buys so you all can avoid them. Bought in PLTR at $32.90 and it just continued to skid down.

Bought some more at $29 this morning, and well, I'm negative on that now too.

Add that to my -50% AMC play, and I'm fucking terrible at this.
Serious question. How do you determine your entry points to buy?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If anyone is looking for a penny stock play, I just bought some SRMX. Satellite company that's supposed to have deals with MSFT among others. It's a long play, not swing trade.

• 3Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If anyone is looking for a penny stock play, I just bought some SRMX. Satellite company that's supposed to have deals with MSFT among others. It's a long play, not swing trade.
52-weel low: 0.0001

I almost spit out my soda when I saw this.

• 3Worf
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Serious question. How do you determine your entry points to buy?
In this case, it was because I expected PLTR to beat earnings. And they did. Seems that doesn't matter (and I'm the asshat who said it'd drop anyways). I find technicals to be mostly bullshit.

The AMC thing was just FOMO. I really think them shutting down the brokerages is what fucked me there. Otherwise I could've got out on that Thursday for a good 25%+ gain.

For this one though, I'm holding PLTR for longer than a week. I fully expect to be positive on it eventually. My post was mostly in jest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users