Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just develop an investing plan, maybe post it here for feedback and then execute it. And have patience, lots of patience. Once you have entry prices, don't let FOMO influence it. Accept that sometimes you will miss something but develop your entry points on technicals and stalk the shit. I stalked BABA for about 2 weeks every session and finally got it at my price. Same with NFLX.
Yep, most of my losses can probably be attributed to rushing in to an entry. Yeah, you see a stock going up 5-10% every day and feel like you're missing out. Just remember there's hundreds of other stocks out there, so don't feel bad "missing" a play.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am NOT a disciplined investor. However, I've held onto my near-nav SPAC's and some things I'm long in to see what happens.
You have to be a sociopath when investing. Its hard. I look at stuff sometimes and start getting my emotions running to make some changes and then I force myself to stop and walk away until I am back in control. Develop a plan and stick with it unless something fundamental changes and it forces you to re-evaluate.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Literally everywhere has a will hire sign up. One repair place nearby recently changed the sign they've had up for 5-6 years. "Looking for experienced technicians in X field" to "Mechanically inclined, want a job?"
One of my contractors can’t find manual laborers for a fuck. They’ve been sitting on one of my projects for a month now. Their team was typically almost all Mexicans and they can barely find any to work.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Many things make no sense lately, I.e. companies pulling out record earnings numbers then immediately their stock plummets.
Everyone is expecting stellar earnings with reopenings. It's priced in already, in my opinion.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PTON a day trading dream today. Respected technicals textbook today. Lots of short and long opportunities off well respected intraday pivots and vwap.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Alright bro's, what do I do with 80k in liquid cash? I've been growing it as a down payment for a property/house for a bit now, but it doesn't look like that is gonna happen this year, or even next year.

I'm gonna get eaten alive by stimmy checks and general inflation, so where do I throw it? Just open a personal account with Fidelity or whoever and buy in to some ETFs? Go super long term with roth IRAs (don't those have a pretty low yearly cap?)?

Can I just throw additional money in to my 401k, or is that capped out in some fashion?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Alright bro's, what do I do with 80k in liquid cash? I've been growing it as a down payment for a property/house for a bit now, but it doesn't look like that is gonna happen this year, or even next year.

I'm gonna get eaten alive by stimmy checks and general inflation, so where do I throw it? Just open a personal account with Fidelity or whoever and buy in to some ETFs? Go super long term with roth IRAs (don't those have a pretty low yearly cap?)?

Can I just throw additional money in to my 401k, or is that capped out in some fashion?

The fundamentals:
Max your Roth IRA (capped at $5,500 annually)
Max your 401K (capped at $18,000 annually)
Put additional money in a total market stonk

The new:
Put additional money in crypto

You might still be able to max your Roth for 2020, as I'm not sure when the cutoff day is.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The fundamentals:
Max your Roth IRA (capped at $5,500 annually)
Max your 401K (capped at $18,000 annually)
Put additional money in a total market stonk

The new:
Put additional money in crypto

You might still be able to max your Roth for 2020, as I'm not sure when the cutoff day is.
These numbers are a bit old. 6k roth, 19.5k 401k. Don't try to put after-tax dollars into a 401k. I'm sure there's some way to do it, but it's not smart.

Rather than total market, I'd probably aim for S&P if you want it simple, but I've never been a fan of total market funds.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As Furry said 401k is $19.5k. This is priority 1. Hopefully your 401k has at least 1 non-shitty selection. Preferably an S&P 500 index.
Max your Roth(6k).
Put the rest in a brokerage account. Either all-market index or S&P500 index.
Look at it once a year.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So Bill Hwang was behind/with Cathy on ARKK?
To much for me. Just dumped my ARKG shares I bought yesterday. 3% profit is meaningless but there is just too much about Cathy I can't get comfortable with.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

$80k worth of Forever Stamps. They’re inflation proof.

• 1Mic Drop
  • 1Galaxy Brain
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Seds

Trakanon Raider
if this rotation carries on (no view), the ARKk dynamic will be worth watching: they own a large chunk of the float in some of these stocks and I think there are some instances of cross holdings of ETFs (e.g. One ETF owns another, in size).

doubt that it’s a “big” problem but could definitely cause some funky trading in names that are some combination of: very highly/over values & not that liquid...

• 1Like