Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
.SPX 4,411 at the close.

surprise wtf GIF

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
This news is causing a sell-off across the board for China stocks. Even those with nothing to do with the ed sector including BABA. Sub-$210 is a solid entry point for BABA if interested.

Last year China was easy money...this year I'm tired. In BABA, JD, BILI, PDD, Tencent and VIP. I feel like China is trying to discourage American investing at this point. Queen Cathie says to sell, no one wants to deal with the Chinese government. They literally said violators of the new rule would be taken out back and shot.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Last year China was easy money...this year I'm tired. In BABA, JD, BILI, PDD, Tencent and VIP. I feel like China is trying to discourage American investing at this point. Queen Cathie says to sell, no one wants to deal with the Chinese government. They literally said violators of the new rule would be taken out back and shot.
I am reading that this China dance is targeting the "smaller" Chinese companies in an attempt to depress share price enough that Chinese oligarchs can buy the companies up and take them private again pocketing all the western IPO money. This is the running thesis for DIDI and some others. BABA is beyond the reach of these scams due to its size. BABA is their crown jewel and they wont kill it. I dont like it as a long term hold but I think it can be a solid money maker here for a flip in 2-3 months as it returns to the $250+ range.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not posting this for any political purpose, strictly financial. Mask mandates are being imposed in cities in the US. LA and just now St Louis etc. Masks are being dictated for Fall enrollment in schools in places like Boston and Chicago. From an investing perspective keep watching this line of news. At the current all-time highs and lots of professional traders on vacation for the summer it won't take a lot for a mad rush to the exits to begin. Anything speculative should be give really hard due diligence right now, and some profit taking in outperforming positions is probably something to consider.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not posting this for any political purpose, strictly financial. Mask mandates are being imposed in cities in the US. LA and just now St Louis etc. Masks are being dictated for Fall enrollment in schools in places like Boston and Chicago. From an investing perspective keep watching this line of news. At the current all-time highs and lots of professional traders on vacation for the summer it won't take a lot for a mad rush to the exits to begin. Anything speculative should be give really hard due diligence right now, and some profit taking in outperforming positions is probably something to consider.

And we get one more hot number from CPI and its gonna be another selloff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And we get one more hot number from CPI and its gonna be another selloff.
Over the last couple of weeks I have moved from a 2% cash position to about a 20% cash position mostly from sweeping profits and doing some pruning of underperformers. A nice healthy 10-12% correction across the board would make me smile.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Over the last couple of weeks I have moved from a 2% cash position to about a 20% cash position mostly from sweeping profits and doing some pruning of underperformers. A nice healthy 10-12% correction across the board would make me smile.

I'm at the point of "accumulating dry powder" because I still have this sneaking suspicion we're going to see a late august/early September pullback. Once the rest of the world remembers that Biden doesn't know what he's talking about when he said increasing government spending is going to drive down inflation...

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
wooop.png

I'm rich!!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What is the opinion here on the housing market and the coming evictionapocalypse?

Most estimates I've been reading is that every year there are about 3.6 million evictions. This was reduced to <100k due to the moratorium in addition to the year of non-rent payments. Which is estimated at like $30B rental revenues gone across the nation each month.

This has been putting a great deal of pressure on housing inventory in various places compounded by skilled labor working remotely and abandoning the urban centers. They keep extending the moratorium because these politicos don't want to be caught holding the bag when millions of people get pissed off about it. But it's coming anyway. I guess we could always throw down $10T more each year to kick the can down the road more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Like all things real estate, it'll be heavily local.

I think places like Texas and Florida won't see any change due to the influx of people.

A big city that was already overpriced and had a mass exodus like New York though? They're totally fucked. Their housing market might implode.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This is kinda-not-really an investment question, but I think more eyes would see it here and would like to get some opinions:

I'm looking for ways to quickly pay off my mortgage beyond simply paying extra principal payments. Seems like two common strategies are the HELOC and borrow from your 401k.

Which brings me to the borrow from the 401k option. Generally, this is considered not ideal since you could lose gains while this borrowed chunk is being repaid. However, it is a hedge against a market downturn. Which, from all indications (I think?) we are probably at the "top" of the market, so checking out say, 50 grand, from my 401k to drop on my mortgage may not be too bad of an idea?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is kinda-not-really an investment question, but I think more eyes would see it here and would like to get some opinions:

I'm looking for ways to quickly pay off my mortgage beyond simply paying extra principal payments. Seems like two common strategies are the HELOC and borrow from your 401k.

Which brings me to the borrow from the 401k option. Generally, this is considered not ideal since you could lose gains while this borrowed chunk is being repaid. However, it is a hedge against a market downturn. Which, from all indications (I think?) we are probably at the "top" of the market, so checking out say, 50 grand, from my 401k to drop on my mortgage may not be too bad of an idea?
Is it smart, almost certainly not. Will it make you feel good anyways, maybe. The power is yours.