Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's a long list. Since I focused almost exclusively on blue chips and other big caps it saves me from trying to keep up with the thousands of smalls and mediums. Let me grab some names.
@spotgamma
@deadpoolcharts
@arkkdaily
@10kdiver
@briannamartyn
@algov9
@hindenburgres
@redditinvestors
@stoolpresidente
@chigrl (energy specific )
@stockcats
@rampcapitalllc
@chamath
@stocktwit
@finteit-news
@parikpatelCFA

A bunch of SPAC and /wsb accounts

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Fuck you, man. Stop trying to make me work!

I'm retiring so I don't have to anymore. I'm going to surf and paint and bike during the day and poopsock New World at night.
Can I interest you in a position? There's no ACTUAL money, but you can be swimming in Heaven Points and Tucobucks!

• 1Dislike
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Can I interest you in a position? There's no ACTUAL money, but you can be swimming in Heaven Points and Tucobucks!
Evil Smile GIF by memecandy

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Again sounds like you are on the right path, I do think allowing for a 1% loss while going for .25% wins can feel like the right move, I did the exact same thing for a period. I think longer term success is going to take shifting that to allowing wins to be much bigger than losses, grizzled traders are going to very consistently tell you this. 1% loss/5% gain with a lower win rate will make more money. 95% win rates feel great but in the end of the day I assume you are doing this to make money. I kept track of how much further my trades went after I exited them. Do the same and I bet you will soon see how much is being left on the table when you have a good setup. Those big gains are what let you shrug off the trades that don't work. I'm hesitant to tell you this because I think it's a process to mature into as a trader. So do what you are doing but keep in the back of your head that it's not the goal line it's skill building.

Now 1% loss/5% win isn't going to happen in a day trade without switching to options, it's also why a lot of people gravitate to swing trading over time. If you really want to stick to scalping then stop thinking about % at all. Obviously varies by share price but a scalper should still be looking for a 1:3 or 1:4 loss vs gain (.25 loss limit/0.75-$1 gain goal)
So going back and reviewing the tape for Friday, you were right. I could've doubled my profits in 80% of the trades.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Paper Hands

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Just bought to close 60% Gain in 24hrs and I don't even charge for this service. Pretty much nailed bottom tick yesterday. Back to working on property until the next opportunity. July Nut earned in a day.
Can I hire you to do some investments for me? 🤔

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Like all things real estate, it'll be heavily local.

I think places like Texas and Florida won't see any change due to the influx of people.

A big city that was already overpriced and had a mass exodus like New York though? They're totally fucked. Their housing market might implode.
How about Denver?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Is thinkorswim still the best simulator in order to get my feet wet and attempt to learn some stuff before going balls deep?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Is thinkorswim still the best simulator in order to get my feet wet and attempt to learn some stuff before going balls deep?
Just don't forget to use tons of leverage when you get to the real thing, it's basically a button to x5 your profits or whatever leverage you can get.

• 3Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I say this based only on seeing your posts on this board, but you haven't ever struck me as a "non-emotional" guy. Investing is all about leaving your emotions at the door. If I am wrong then get to it. Just an observation.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the market will selloff this week because of covid counts. Likely what is the best thing to short? Airlines? Hotels? Banks? I haven't shorted an airline in awhile, but I can never seem to borrow shares of those at TD. Any ETF's that would be hit the hardest and can be shorted?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So going back and reviewing the tape for Friday, you were right. I could've doubled my profits in 80% of the trades.
To be fair, Friday was the first day of 50k trades for me, and I was pretty risk averse. Paper trading, its no problem. I need to trade like I've been practicing, but 50k in a trade makes my butthole clench a little.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think the market will selloff this week because of covid counts. Likely what is the best thing to short? Airlines? Hotels? Banks? I haven't shorted an airline in awhile, but I can never seem to borrow shares of those at TD. Any ETF's that would be hit the hardest and can be shorted?
Speaking only for me, the reason I never short is I am basically betting against Janet Powell and the magical printing press. That is not a bet I a willing to make. Unless the infrastructure bill gets derailed by amendments (a possibility but not highly likely), it is gonna move industrial stocks. If you truly want to bet against something (and I wouldn't), maybe go 3x inverse QQQ (SQQQ) as the bulk of tech has reported already and it could see some unwinding.

Again I am not a short guy. I prefer to use pullbacks to add to longs or open new longs at discount prices. Also to write out-of-the-money puts on shit I wouldn't mind owning if I get exercised.

edit: Thinking this through a little more. You have the possible lockdown requests, while cases are up, deaths are down sharply. The housing moratorium has expired. Cruise industries can be ripe for a short play but DeSantis is backing them 100% so it may not really crater. Big pharma could see a drop as the press is finally admitting the vaccines dont do shit and more stabs aren't going to help. Big oil could take a hit if the big blue states try a lockdown in Aug. But remember unlike last year, the courts aren't closed this time around. Expect lawsuits opposing any large scale lockdowns to be insta-filed and no Governors still have emergency powers I believe.

tldr: there is a ton of variables to consider but they go in different directions. Markets hate uncertainty, but will it overcome the Powell Put?

Last edited:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking only for me, the reason I never short is I am basically betting against Janet Powell and the magical printing press. That is not a bet I a willing to make. Unless the infrastructure bill gets derailed by amendments (a possibility but not highly likely), it is gonna move industrial stocks. If you truly want to bet against something (and I wouldn't), maybe go 3x inverse QQQ (SQQQ) as the bulk of tech has reported already and it could see some unwinding.

Again I am not a short guy. I prefer to use pullbacks to add to longs or open new longs at discount prices. Also to write out-of-the-money puts on shit I wouldn't mind owning if I get exercised.

edit: Thinking this through a little more. You have the possible lockdown requests, while cases are up, deaths are down sharply. The housing moratorium has expired. Cruise industries can be ripe for a short play but DeSantis is backing them 100% so it may not really crater. Big pharma could see a drop as the press is finally admitting the vaccines dont do shit and more stabs aren't going to help. Big oil could take a hit if the big blue states try a lockdown in Aug. But remember unlike last year, the courts aren't closed this time around. Expect lawsuits opposing any large scale lockdowns to be insta-filed and no Governors still have emergency powers I believe.

tldr: there is a ton of variables to consider but they go in different directions. Markets hate uncertainty, but will it overcome the Powell Put?
I probably short half the time. I do short, but not for more than an hour. I short at resistance and support a lot (if I don't think the trend above resistance will hold, or I think resistance is going to break. I'm not going to be like a hedge fund and hold my shorts for months at a time. I rarely hold short positions overnight. When market sentiment is bad, and you have these three or four day selloffs, its easy money to short it down, and then buy it when the pullback is over. Actually, I'm thinking shorting financials might be a good move.

Not sure if I accept the premise below entirely, but when market sentiment is crap, its just too easy to make 2% in couple of hours. Short or long, its all profit to me.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why not make money on the way down, and then buy on the pullback?