Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Word to the wise. Always check the liquidity of an instrument before trading. Illiquid positions have much higher bid/ask spreads and even when you are right on the trade, getting out can be a pain in the ads.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
i've gotta think brkb is a steal right now. assuming they weather the inevitible changing of the guard, i can't imagine where it will be in 10 years considering the companies they own.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i've gotta think brkb is a steal right now. assuming they weather the inevitible changing of the guard, i can't imagine where it will be in 10 years considering the companies they own.
I gotta disagree. I think Warren has been riding his rep for the last 15 or 20 years. Look at BRKB top holdings:
AAPL
AXP
BOA
USB
WFV
KO

Aside from AAPL, what has he done thats great the last decade? AXP holds their own debt and will probably get clubbed by bad debt this year. The banks? 0% interest environment bad for banks. KO? A dividend payer.

He bought into the airlines too early (like most of us) and then sold out losing billions instead of being patient. KHC, OXY, Airlines are just some of the strikeouts he has made with large positions.

Ask yourself, if you had 1 million to invest, would you put it in BRKB or QQQ?

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Looks like my house is sold.

After real estate fees, taxes, etc, will net about 40k.

It was maybe 10k in the red over the past 4 years. Maybe 5k considering tax deductions.

I'll take it

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The beast lives. XOM getting up to its early March levels. The allure of a supported dividend is strong.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Investment property?

Bought it as a primary residence, six months later moved out (Aug 2016), tried to self rent, got my ass kicked. Found a good property MGMT company. Was going to sell last year, but had renters and wife just started working. Was on the market one day, got couple offers, inspection just came back, good on repairs. Should close in 10 days.

Gross is 160, owe 90, real estate guy, taxes, giving my dad 7500, should have about 40 net to the bank acct

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bought it as a primary residence, six months later moved out (Aug 2016), tried to self rent, got my ass kicked. Found a good property MGMT company. Was going to sell last year, but had renters and wife just started working. Was on the market one day, got couple offers, inspection just came back, good on repairs. Should close in 10 days.

Gross is 160, owe 90, real estate guy, taxes, giving my dad 7500, should have about 40 net to the bank acct
Nice. Profit is happy.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
You can hate the Fed. But don't fight the Fed. Its a loser's game.

I'm sure glad the government is here to help. Good luck to the fed on unwinding this mess they've created. Pretty sure it won't ever happen, and blatantly encouraging banks to make junk loans is probably making the problem smaller. Loosening the standards on MBS so they can contain loans in default and foreclosure temporarily? That worked great for us a decade ago. The real problem is that the fed is entering a vicious circle. Every time they inject money to save lost causes, they create a new problem that needs solving. They'll just end up with more and more collateral on more businesses until they effectively socialize a large section of the market on the taxpayer's tab, while a large portion of the work force is still on UBI. Bernie Sanders couldn't have done it better himself.

You can't have capitalism without consequence. Bad businesses need to die.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm sure glad the government is here to help. Good luck to the fed on unwinding this mess they've created. Pretty sure it won't ever happen, and blatantly encouraging banks to make junk loans is probably making the problem smaller. Loosening the standards on MBS so they can contain loans in default and foreclosure temporarily? That worked great for us a decade ago. The real problem is that the fed is entering a vicious circle. Every time they inject money to save lost causes, they create a new problem that needs solving. They'll just end up with more and more collateral on more businesses until they effectively socialize a large section of the market on the taxpayer's tab, while a large portion of the work force is still on UBI. Bernie Sanders couldn't have done it better himself.

You can't have capitalism without consequence. Bad businesses need to die.
Philosophically, I don't disagree with you. Time has taught me however to not trade with it. Reality is the gubment is going to do ANYTHING to keep the economy afloat. So I can personally feel thats a really shitty thing to do, but financially I am going to ride the tide they are creating. Its why all 3 of my investment accounts are now in the green. Its the same reason I am still holding and buying BA call options. Whether I agree or disagree, the gubment isn't going to let BA fail. They just won't.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Philosophically, I don't disagree with you. Time has taught me however to not trade with it. Reality is the gubment is going to do ANYTHING to keep the economy afloat. So I can personally feel thats a really shitty thing to do, but financially I am going to ride the tide they are creating. Its why all 3 of my investment accounts are now in the green. Its the same reason I am still holding and buying BA call options. Whether I agree or disagree, the gubment isn't going to let BA fail. They just won't.

Oh I'm not betting against the fed. I said myself here a couple months ago I expect the fed to blow stuff up with their policies. Einstein forgot to add the ability of the central bank to print money when he talked about infinite things.

It's just really bad policy for the long term health of the nation.