Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I cut bait on my BA calls. Looking at CAPEX cuts for airlines around the world and decided it was time to cut my losses.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What made the algos angry? I can't find anything we didn't already know coming out of that senate testimony.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
The stock offering immediately after the positive press release is a pretty common strategy in biopharma, especially for pre-revenue companies like Moderna.

I think the main issue is that they chose not to share any actual data (which can be used to objectively judge their results), but made some odd comparisons to what is "generally found" in recovered patients' serum. They also introduced some odd interim analysis on a fraction of the patients (rather than waiting until all patients were treated), probably to distract from their side effects.

Overall, there was a lot more hand-waving than usual, even for a notoriously secretive company like Moderna, and they were definitely being creative with their wording to pump up the stock before their offering. Given that they are being showered in government money to develop this vaccine, it definitely comes off a bit slimy to milk interim data before you sell shares.

Really can't blame them too much, except they could have just waited a couple weeks and provided a full report, with numbers, and the optics would be waaay better.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There’s also this. Moderna CEO has been selling shares like crazy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So the market basically looks like it did in the pre-market yesterday. I have some stocks sitting at identical prices to this time yesterday morning in the pre-market.

I took the opportunity yesterday to start a long position in BIIB. I had been trying a couple times before but it always dipped just above my price point and I missed it. I paid a couple of bucks more and grabbed it. I think tech and pharma/bio are going to be the consistent strong horses thru the end of this year.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
So the market basically looks like it did in the pre-market yesterday. I have some stocks sitting at identical prices to this time yesterday morning in the pre-market.

I took the opportunity yesterday to start a long position in BIIB. I had been trying a couple times before but it always dipped just above my price point and I missed it. I paid a couple of bucks more and grabbed it. I think tech and pharma/bio are going to be the consistent strong horses thru the end of this year.

They have a lot riding on their Alzheimer's drug, so their value this year might be tied to whether or not the BLA gets accepted by the FDA this fall/winter. If approved it could be massive, but their stock has fluctuated a whole lot just based on the ups and downs of this one product over the years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Fed probably gonna pass 7 Trillion in the balance sheet today. To give you an idea, they've been buying up stuff at rate similar to that of the whole US GDP for the past couple months. That's why the economy is on fire. Their balance sheet is gonna be nice and ready when its time to do the bailouts to get things started again.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Fed probably gonna pass 7 Trillion in the balance sheet today. To give you an idea, they've been buying up stuff at rate similar to that of the whole US GDP for the past couple months. That's why the economy is on fire. Their balance sheet is gonna be nice and ready when its time to do the bailouts to get things started again.

k I'm sure you get it sitting in cash.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They have a lot riding on their Alzheimer's drug, so their value this year might be tied to whether or not the BLA gets accepted by the FDA this fall/winter. If approved it could be massive, but their stock has fluctuated a whole lot just based on the ups and downs of this one product over the years.
Yeah, the sector is crazy overpriced so this potential headwind is making it a reasonable gamble. Their earnings above $30 a share makes me giddy like a schoolgirl.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So here is the question looking forward. Between now and the end of the year is Nasdaq going to outperform the SP500? With QQQ sitting 1% from a new high and SPY about 15% below a new high, will 10k put into SPY today outperform 10k put into QQQ? With tech not being as severely impact by Coronachan as some sectors of the SPY I am starting to think QQQ is still a better bet even at the all-time high. I don't think SPY can make up the ground or that Tech is going to stall enough for SPY to close the gap.

Thoughts?

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
maybe do 50/50? diversifying is always good. on the other hand there's always the school of thought that if you are very long, i.e. an ira, just splitting your hoard between the faang stocks beats the s&p and most etfs, etc.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
maybe do 50/50? diversifying is always good. on the other hand there's always the school of thought that if you are very long, i.e. an ira, just splitting your hoard between the faang stocks beats the s&p and most etfs, etc.
I built my portfolio around a core of 50% index ETFs and 50% individual stocks. My ETFs are SP500, QQQ and SP500 Growth. Looking at the future, I am pondering that added cash might be return better results in QQQ/Growth even though they are at highs vs SP500 due to its exposure to sectors that may be irreparably damaged by the economic shutdown.

Molten Core Raider
Wooops lol, Sold DIS a little too soon this morning. I was up 20% or so, and that is WAY longer than I normally hold a swing for. Last few days have been messy so I went ahead and dumped it. Anyone else holding DIS, you are welcome~

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think I'm gonna start the "buy at the open, sell at 3:45) strat every day until I get burned. This shit is about as scheduled as it was back in the day shorting the VIX.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
XOM has been giving me a woody lately. Its like I was doing a deepwater dive and have been slowly coming back up stopping along the way to decompress. I can almost see the surface and fresh air.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Shouldn't this be the case if the government is forcing businesses not be open for business?

I know everyone is freaking out about the government printing debt but I was listening to Peter Zeihan and he said that every bit of the new debt being printed is gobbled up by foreign investors trying to get into the only bonds that are near guaranteed to be stable in 20-30 years.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That sure is great for all those foreign investors. But how about all the people here in the US who aren't going to be able to afford their rent/mortgage in the years to come because they can't find a goddamn job?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users