Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So is this all based on the Fed's retarded ass speculation comments, or something else?
Mostly. And of course the media is pivoting back to "Coronachan gonna kill us all!". Some peofit taking im sure. Market was looking for a reason to dip and it found it.

The financials make sense. They suffer in a low interest environment and the Fed declared they are fucked till 2022.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
You might want to check a chart, or is this you saying goodbye?
I think you should follow through on a bet you never made as you won with what? 72 over? I agree the bet that never happened based on unprecedented helicopter money nonsense should count. You should never give investment advice because you are another retard who doesn't understand basic economics.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
S&P500 and DOW closed down in the -13%+ range. More likely than not we see that erased by year end and that's a pretty solid return for half a year. Might be a good entry point for those who do straight index investing. SPY and/or DIA

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Things up big in premarket so far.

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786.jpg

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Odd how are perceptions change. Yesterday was the biggest one day sell-off since March 16th. My thoughts yesterday were focused on looking for buying opportunities and thinking this is an overreaction to profit takers as we had had a very nice short term run-up and the profit taking spooked a lot of people into selling.

Back in March when we did this, it was more of a holy shit, I cant believe we dropped 7% and the circuit breakers were kicking in and I haven't seen this since 2008 type of emotions.

Funny how a couple of months can change outlooks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ps.. for anyone still holding HTZ. The fact that a bankrupt company is trying to convince a bankruptcy judge to allow them to issue a billion more in stock is not what I would call a good sign. Dont be a hog. Take profits.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For those who play IPO roulette, AZEK is launching this morning. They make sustainable outdoor building material (think patios, decks, furniture, etc). Their financials are bad. They lose money, they are a manufacturer and they have a ton of leverage (over 1.2 billion in debt). I wouldn't own them but IPOs can always be counted on for lots of volatility. Maybe some money to be made if this rally stays strong on a quick flip. Believe the pricing is around $23 a share.

Disclaimer: due your own due diligence and if you have a gambling problem please get help.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Question: Do many of you use stop/loss orders? Know what stop/loss orders are? Why you should use them for anything that isn't a HODL position?

I was thinking with the volatility spikes we just saw and the HTZ, DAL, Cruise lines discussions we have that I hope y'all are protecting your gains with these types of orders.

Molten Core Raider
Trading vs investing (for me)

It depends on what I am trading and how big my position is, I am a really new, fairly patient, small account, so if I am trading something like the cruise lines, intel, or any large reliable (as reliable as anything can be in this market) company I am buying lows expecting a run up. I dont use stop losses since I keep my initial position small enough I can just buy more as it dips and wait for it to run back up. If it doesnt dip, I dont make a ton of money, but thats fine too, I ride until I take profits and move on to something else. I understand the basic concepts that holding a red swing is a waste of money that COULD be doing something else, but I dont tend to be an aggressive trader (really just learning about the market with beer money) anyways so a chunk of my portfolio stays inactive at any given time.

If I am trading pennies or the days runners I use a stop loss UNLESS I am willing to risk everything in that position (not often I am willing to but..) and/or I am in low enough I am not worried about a minor dip. If I am trading something expensive and only looking for a scalp/swing/daytrade I will use a stop loss.

I am one of those guys who takes some of the profits from my day trading and dumps it into SPY (and will start diversifying ETFs as I go along) so I dont worry about stop losses there, I just add more if it goes lower. Thats about the extent of my investing right now, until I get the IRA's maxed this year at least.

Is it common for long term investors to use stop losses?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Is there such a thing where one can watch the trades of talented traders and just copy what they do? Obviously there would need to be some sort of notification system where one can react in near real-time.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Is there such a thing where one can watch the trades of talented traders and just copy what they do? Obviously there would need to be some sort of notification system where one can react in near real-time.
I cant imagine anyone who genuinely makes money over a long period of time would give such information away for free.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Trading vs investing (for me)

It depends on what I am trading and how big my position is, I am a really new, fairly patient, small account, so if I am trading something like the cruise lines, intel, or any large reliable (as reliable as anything can be in this market) company I am buying lows expecting a run up. I dont use stop losses since I keep my initial position small enough I can just buy more as it dips and wait for it to run back up. If it doesnt dip, I dont make a ton of money, but thats fine too, I ride until I take profits and move on to something else. I understand the basic concepts that holding a red swing is a waste of money that COULD be doing something else, but I dont tend to be an aggressive trader (really just learning about the market with beer money) anyways so a chunk of my portfolio stays inactive at any given time.

If I am trading pennies or the days runners I use a stop loss UNLESS I am willing to risk everything in that position (not often I am willing to but..) and/or I am in low enough I am not worried about a minor dip. If I am trading something expensive and only looking for a scalp/swing/daytrade I will use a stop loss.

I am one of those guys who takes some of the profits from my day trading and dumps it into SPY (and will start diversifying ETFs as I go along) so I dont worry about stop losses there, I just add more if it goes lower. Thats about the extent of my investing right now, until I get the IRA's maxed this year at least.

Is it common for long term investors to use stop losses?
Speaking only for me, I dont use it on my long term investments (AAPL, MSFT) but on stuff I am trading I use it. Some of the volatile stocks can move 15%+ in a day. That's why I mention HRZ and the air/cruise lines. Why eat a loss of profits if you don't have to. Using fake numbers, lets say you buy DAL at 20. Set a trailing stop/loss for say 10%. It his 35 and then plunges down 20% on a bad day. So instead of ending at $28, your stop/loss triggered at $31.50 and saved you $3.50 a share. Or you have a job and can't watch the market all day and you a move downward like yesterday. The order saves you cash. It also helps to take emotion out of it and make you hold longer than you know you should. Granted there are times when get stopped out too soon on a V gap fill but thats the cost of the insurance.

Just my thoughts on it.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Have more free time and access to my personal laptop a lot more. May do some more trading instead of just my mutual fund investments and pumping dividends back into the same companies

Will read this entire thread because I really don't know what I'm doing

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In my opinion, more than half of trading is spending the time to read. About finance, the markets and about companies. It isnt Fred is "better" than Jane. Fred makes more money because he is better disciplined, has more knowledge of the specific stocks and does his due diligence better.

If you want the short cut of someone doing all of that for you and then telling you what to buy and sell, you just need to open a managed account and let your broker do it for you at 1 to 1.5% commission. Its why so many people take this route.

• 1Like