Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Have more free time and access to my personal laptop a lot more. May do some more trading instead of just my mutual fund investments and pumping dividends back into the same companies

Will read this entire thread because I really don't know what I'm doing
Bookmark investopedia.com
Read lots, using it like a dictionary for every term you hear/see and don't understand. Your portfolio will thank me.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Meh, my portfolio wifh thank my father when he passes and I get his BRK.As lol, but will do
This got me thinking about sources of info for new investors and what I use or have used.

Investopedia.com
Marketwatch.com
Seeking Alpha (always make note in articles if someone is long/short the stock they are writing about.
Books by Charles Ellis and John Bogle
A basic intro college textbook of Finance 1 (I say this because in my opinion you can't fairly judge a company if you can't read their basic financial statements (income statement, balance sheet snd statement of cash flows). Ideally this is combined with a rudimentary knowledge of accounting.
Twitter - there is a world of people in the #FinTwit hastag you can learn from.
YouTube. I learned my basics of options trading watching YouTube vids. Most of my technical analysis tools too.

That above might be a good starting point.

I think Blazin Blazin has previously posted assorted knowledge sources in this thread.

• 4Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Screenshot_20200614-130857_Twitter.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I cashed out a couple weeks ago when my Vanguard account reached break-even. Was thinking of re-entering when and if the market goes below my exit point (I was mostly invested in the Vanguard VTI total-stock index fund).

However, I had purchased a vehicle back in December and financed it for 60 months at 2.9% APR. I am wondering if I should take a large chunk of my cash-out and just pay off the vehicle? I don't typically keep a vehicle for the length of the entire loan. Realistically, I will probably trade it off in a couple years (spare me the criticisms of this, by the way. I realize it's not smart but oh well).

Anyway, the way I look at it is that this is only logical if I can gain no more than a 2.9% return on this money. Considering the volatility of the market for probably at least the next year, I'm thinking it's a toss up and that I'm better off using the cash to pay off the car.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I cashed out a couple weeks ago when my Vanguard account reached break-even. Was thinking of re-entering when and if the market goes below my exit point (I was mostly invested in the Vanguard VTI total-stock index fund).

However, I had purchased a vehicle back in December and financed it for 60 months at 2.9% APR. I am wondering if I should take a large chunk of my cash-out and just pay off the vehicle? I don't typically keep a vehicle for the length of the entire loan. Realistically, I will probably trade it off in a couple years (spare me the criticisms of this, by the way. I realize it's not smart but oh well).

Anyway, the way I look at it is that this is only logical if I can gain no more than a 2.9% return on this money. Considering the volatility of the market for probably at least the next year, I'm thinking it's a toss up and that I'm better off using the cash to pay off the car.
2.9% should be easily eclipse be the market. I cant imagine a scenario where you make less than that by year end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
2020-06-15.jpg

This is an interesting visualization I thought. The current uptick is entirely driven by retail robin-hood investors. The big ticket industrial investment firms are holding steady.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Perhaps debatable, but it's probably a good thing if markets can change from Average Joes as opposed to being controlled by AI.
I don't really know what the repercussions could be, but sounds good :D

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
View attachment 278070

This is an interesting visualization I thought. The current uptick is entirely driven by retail robin-hood investors. The big ticket industrial investment firms are holding steady.
The big difference is volume. The Robinhooders can move prices while the big money sits and let's it run up. Unfortunately when the big money decides to take profit or move the market, the new kids don't have the market breadth to stop it. I think that is what we saw last week. I have been in the way of institutional money wanting to make a market move in the opposite direction multiple times. I will let you skip to the end of the story because it always ended the same.

I always envision it like being sued by the DOJ. It doesn't matter if you are 100% right. Their pockets are infinitely deeper. Same with institutional money. They aren't always right. But they can afford to be wrong longer than you can afford to fight their flows.

• 4Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fed announced they will begin buying individual corp bonds. Major indexes went from down half a percent to up almost 1% in about 5 minutes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

WinterMutation

Bronze Squire
So the fed essentially said fuck price discovery, fuck capitalism and has created a socialized market with tax payer money. Shit, if we don't startt getting dividend checks in the mail we are all the ultimate cucks.

• 3Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So the fed essentially said fuck price discovery, fuck capitalism and has created a socialized market with tax payer money. Shit, if we don't startt getting dividend checks in the mail we are all the ultimate cucks.

Not saying it's right but....
Afaik no tax payer money goes to the fed.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
While I don't disagree with the sentiment posted above, I learned my lesson a long time ago about cutting off my nose to spite my face. While I dont like what the Fed is doing, you can be damned sure I am making as much off the Fed put as I possibly can while it lasts. This kind of shit don't come along every day. Let the others loot sneakers; my ass is buying stonks.

• 4Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
New IPO out tomorrow. Different sort of company. RPRX. Royalty Pharma.
They invest in late stage clinical trials in exchange for a share of the drug royalties if the drug hits. They have a 45 different drugs they are gaining royalties from including big drug names from JNJ, ABBV, VRTX and BIIB.
They have been around since 1996 and make a profit and have positive free cash flow. They plan to open with a 2.3% dividend yield. IPO is priced in the 25-28 range.

Do your own due diligence.

• 3Like