Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
China Sanctions list...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Executive Order Prohibiting Transactions in Securities of Certain Chinese Military Companies Starting January 11, 2021​

On November 12, 2020, the President issued an Executive Order prohibiting any transaction in publicly traded securities (debt or equity) of certain Chinese companies by United States persons. The Executive Order currently impacts 35 sanctioned companies; additional companies may be designated pursuant to the Executive Order. In addition to securities issued by these companies, the prohibition extends to any transaction that is derivative of or provides investment exposure to such securities. The information we are providing to you is based on our best understanding, interpretation and assessment of the Executive Order, about which we are seeking further guidance and clarity. For instance, we are seeking clarity with respect to instruments which reference broad-based indices where one or more securities of a sanctioned company is a constituent, including exchange-traded funds and listed options on such indices. See Annex A for impacted investments.
Under the Executive Order, beginning at 9:30 a.m. Eastern Standard Time on January 11, 2021, new purchases by any United States persons in impacted investments can no longer occur. Holders with existing impacted investments are permitted to divest their investments until 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on November 11, 2021.
While the Executive Order permits divestments through November 11, 2021, given the number of sanctioned transactions, ongoing uncertainties around market participants' ability to process transactions and the potential consequences to both our clients and Merrill in the event of a breach or error, based on information available to us at this time, Merrill may cease activities in all sanctioned investments beginning on January 11, 2021. This means that Merrill may not accept any order or instruction to trade, sell, unwind, novate, settle, clear, transfer or perform other similar services in sanctioned investments after 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on January 5, 2021. Merrill may not resume such activities for the foreseeable future, and potentially indefinitely. There may be other brokers who may be able to accommodate certain activities after January 11, 2021.
While the precise scope and impact of the Executive Order are uncertain, as described above, the liquidity in relevant markets in investments that provide exposure to securities of these companies may decrease or potentially be eliminated. These market developments can adversely impact the value of your investments. To the extent there is a market for them in the future, the price at which you may divest your investments may be materially lower than the price you paid for them, and the market value of any remaining impacted investments that you continue to own may be significantly lower than they are today. We cannot predict the precise impact of the Executive Order to the market or your investments, or whether any adverse market developments that may materialize would be temporary or be sustained for a prolonged period.
If you own any sanctioned investments, we urge you to carefully consider the potential impact to your investments if you wish to continue to hold them. In order to ensure an orderly process, if you wish to divest your impacted investments held at Merrill (including if you wish to transfer them to another broker), we must receive your order or instruction do so by no later than 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on January 5, 2021 — otherwise, you must be prepared to own them for a prolonged period, potentially indefinitely and potentially at a significantly reduced value. Merrill will aim to divest impacted positions in client accounts that it manages by January 5, 2021.
Merrill and its affiliates may engage in activities that could result in conflicts of interests between us and our clients with respect to transactions in the sanctioned investments. In particular, subject to applicable law, we may trade as principal prior to or alongside your transactions, without further disclosure to you, in order to mitigate our risk, source liquidity, or facilitate transactions with you or others, any of which may impact the price or liquidity of your transactions. With respect to over-the-counter derivative transactions, we may also unwind or adjust any hedges we hold in our sole discretion. These activities may also impact the price or liquidity of your transactions.

Annex A​

Impacted Securities Held at Merrill (as of December 18, 2020)
Clients have impacted holdings if they own any of the securities listed below at Merrill as of December 18, 2020. For clients who do not own any of these securities as of that date, the Executive Order does not impact their holdings at Merrill. Impacted holdings at Merrill may be different or may change if clients purchase or transfer in sanctioned securities in their accounts after this date.
1. Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp. (SMIC)
  • Equity (Symbol: SMICY; ISIN: US81663N2062)
  • Equity (Symbol: SIUIF; ISIN: KYG8020E1199)
2. China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC)
  • Equity (Symbol: CWYCY; ISIN: US16947L1052)
  • Equity (Symbol: CWYCY; ISIN: US16947L1052
3. China Communications Construction Company (CCCC)
  • Equity (Symbol: CCCGY; ISIN: US1689261030)
  • Equity (Symbol: CCCGF; ISIN: CNE1000002F5)

4. CRRC Corp.
  • Equity (Symbol: CRCCY; ISIN: US12651K1025)
  • Equity (Symbol: CRRRF; ISIN: CNE100000BG0)
Sanctioned Companies1
Based on current information, below is a list of sanctioned companies. The precise scope and impact of the Executive Order are uncertain. This list of companies and their impacted sanctioned securities are subject to change if we receive additional clarity or guidance regarding the Executive Order. You may have impacted holdings if you engage in transactions or acquire in investments that provide exposure to sanctioned securities of these companies.
Companies with sanctioned securities
  1. Aero Engine Corporation of China
  2. Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC)
  3. China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC)
  4. China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC)
  5. China Communications Construction Company (CCCC)
  6. China Electronics Corporation (CEC)
  7. China Electronics Technology Group Corporation (CETC)
  8. China General Nuclear Power Corp.
  9. China National Chemical Corporation (ChemChina)
  10. China National Chemical Engineering Group Co., Ltd. (CNCEC)
  11. China National Nuclear Corp.
  12. China North Industries Group Corporation (Norinco Group)
  13. China Nuclear Engineering & Construction Corporation (CNECC)
  14. China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC)
  15. China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC)
  16. China South Industries Group Corporation (CSGC)
  17. China Spacesat
  18. China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC)
  19. China Telecommunications Corp.
  20. China Three Gorges Corporation Limited
  21. China United Network Communications Group Co Ltd
  22. CRRC Corp.
  23. Dawning Information Industry Co (Sugon)
  24. Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co., Ltd. (Hikvision)
  25. Sinochem Group Co Ltd.
  26. China National Offshore Oil Corp. (CNOOC)
  27. Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp. (SMIC)
Companies currently with no sanctioned securities
  1. China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT)
  2. China Mobile Communications Group
  3. China State Construction Group Co., Ltd.
  4. Huawei
  5. Inspur Group
  6. Panda Electronics Group
  7. China Construction Technology Co. Ltd. (CCTC)
  8. China International Engineering Consulting Corp. (CIECC)

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I bailed on MP. Short term gains are going to be rapey this year but fuck it, I rather have the gains.

Spent the last week or two doing what san mentioned, everything kept appreciating so fast I wasn't comfortable with having so much in so few companies.

I think I've settled into how I'm going to personally manage my active trading. Which is nice, to feel the routine settling in.

Anyway, banner year everyone.

Wild shit. Even if blazin hates money
For me personally, I track individual weights and sector weights. I keep my individual stocks at not more than 5% of my total portfolio. I dont weight the sectors per se, but I like to keep a visual on how my investments are spread out and performance. Some companies aren't in a specific sector so I sort of shoehorn them in where I think they fit (TRIT, BABA for example).

1608650488536.png

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my four clean energy ETFs are all up 4-5% today on top of 2-3% yesterday, not complaining so far. They're TAN, ACES, ICLN, and CNRG. ICLN seems to have the best options premiums and I have a Jan 15 put on them so far.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Even though its a buy and hold, I am seriously contemplating setting a stop loss on AAPL. I am up 115% this year on it. I am confident I can buy back in lower in the near future.

edit: but I said the same thing abut TSLA a while back.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Even though its a buy and hold, I am seriously contemplating setting a stop loss on AAPL. I am up 115% this year on it. I am confident I can buy back in lower in the near future.

edit: but I said the same thing abut TSLA a while back.

I feel this way about everything I own

• 2Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Just closed out all my BTWN at a nice profit, waiting for that pull back heh

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Companies currently with no sanctioned securities
  1. China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT)
  2. China Mobile Communications Group
  3. China State Construction Group Co., Ltd.
  4. Huawei
  5. Inspur Group
  6. Panda Electronics Group
  7. China Construction Technology Co. Ltd. (CCTC)
  8. China International Engineering Consulting Corp. (CIECC)
Hmm?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Got stopped out of my TRIT calls at 1.9, not shabby. Making up for the 12.5 puts that got assigned on 12/18....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
WMT - So apparently having a pharmacy means you caused the "opioid crisis". Like they dont write prescriptions they just fill them. Our DOJ is just fucking worthless.

U.S. sues Walmart for alleged role in fueling opioid crisis- WSJ
REUTERS 1:46 PM ET 12/22/2020
Symbol Last Price Change
WMT 143.41up -2.56 (-1.7538%)
QUOTES AS OF 01:47:42 PM ET 12/22/2020
Dec 22 (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department sued Walmart Inc(WMT), accusing the retailer of fueling the opioid crisis in the country and ignoring warning signs from its pharmacists, the Wall Street Journal reported WSJ News Exclusive | U.S. Sues Walmart, Alleging Role in Fueling Opioid Crisis on Tuesday.

The company was not immediately available for a comment. Walmart's(WMT) stock was down 1.8% on the news. (Reporting by Nivedita Balu in Bengaluru; Editing by Krishna Chandra Eluri)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the whole case hinges on what these "warnings from their pharmacists" were. And even then, the Dr's are still the ones writing the scripts, at what level are pharmacists supposed to push back against Drs all while handing out said scripts.

Also, AMD is down this week because this is the 1st week I haven't sold a put on it, sorry Big Phoenix Big Phoenix

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's probably a case of accusations against Walmart asking their pharmacists to be less scrupulous about filling prescriptions.

"This doesn't look like a real prescription from a real doctor"
"Stop questioning our customers and just take their money"

Actually, that's exactly what it is:

The Justice Department’s lawsuit claims that Walmart sought to boost profits by understaffing its pharmacies and pressuring employees to fill prescriptions quickly. That made it difficult for pharmacists to reject invalid prescriptions, enabling widespread drug abuse nationwide, the suit alleges

Last edited:

elonm00sk

Molten Core Raider
Yeah we went through this a year ago when I bought in.

It's value isn't infinite. And it's current valuation is absurd.

Right now miles driven is the one thing they have. And it's worthless without regulations allowing it to have value.

Do you think the govt is going to give musk the auto industry?
Lots of risks abound. Several of the red states tried to ban selling Teslas through the dealership laws. That didn't slow down sales much. Lawmakers are mostly in the "unbridled capitalism" or "willful ignorance" phase, so we'll see.