Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Massive put spread in Nasdaq ETF rolls position opened August 25th (TheFlyOnTheWall)
THE FLY 11:00 AM ET 12/21/2020
Massive put spread in Nasdaq ETF rolls position opened August 25th. QQQ trading down more than $5, or 1.8%, this morning with a massive trade on the PHLX where a trader bought 50k Jun 278 puts for $14.18 to sell 50k March 251 puts for $4.27, vs a delta hedge purchase of 800k underlying shares at $305.15. June 278 purchase is opening, while the March 251s unwind a block bought on Aug 25th as part of the 225/251 put spread. Today's outlay of nearly $50M for the June 278s likely resets the hedge to a new 6month hedge term at the 8.6% downside strike. 13F data shows a handful of buyside accounts long blocks in the 50k contract size as of Sep 30.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So, i hope i dont get eviscerated for asking such dumb obvious questions. For first time I'm a fulltime employee and company offers a 401k. Could anyone point me to some good resources on 401k investing, planning catching gotchas, etc? thanks in advance.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
So, i hope i dont get eviscerated for asking such dumb obvious questions. For first time I'm a fulltime employee and company offers a 401k. Could anyone point me to some good resources on 401k investing, planning catching gotchas, etc? thanks in advance.
Most of the time, you just want to look at the investing website it should list all of your options. Find the one that has the lowest fees and is an ETF. Someone smarter than me will be able to give better advice but that is what I tell all my co workers. S&P 500, Rusell 1000, something like that each 401k plan has a different name for their investment options but it should say something about following or mimicking one of those kind of funds

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

401k investing is usually pretty simple. Most plans will let you allocate your contributions. Make sure your contributions are allocated directly into a good fund with low fees. Usually a SP500 one is there, as Indyocracy suggests. It's a great start, but you may have some other good options.

Aim at an absolute minimum to put in the company match, which is usually 5 or 6%, because you are literally throwing money away if you don't. 15% or so Is a good goal and will let someone who's starting in their mid 30s have a decent and reliable chunk of change at 60 in most cases. To figure out exactly what you'll need to do to hit your goals, It's best to go to a place like Compound Interest Calculator | Investor.gov and set yourself in a plan and stick to it. 8% is considered a reasonable long-term estimate for returns on SP500.

Once you have your plan, stick to it and don't fret about the year. If you get ahead of things, which a diligent investor can, then you can start moving into buying stocks and being more interactive, but always keep that good core so you don't fuck yourself over long term.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Congratulations on getting access to a 401k. Good chance it may not offer an ETF, just mutuals. Find the lowest net fee fund that indexes a major index like sp500 or Russell. Since every dollar you put in is tax deferred, put in as much as you can afford. Let it sit and grow as long as humanly possible. Don't look at it, just ignore it and let it grow. Each raise you get try to shove as much of the raise as possible into your contributions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Yes, Furry brings up a great point always max employer contribution if you can.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So it does have a match. And is managed Fidelity investments. Also offers traditional and roth options.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You should have access to a lot of funds with low fee's with Fidelity, they're one of the best. If you're not sure, just list what funds they offer here and we'll help you out.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I put 1k$ each into the 4 clean energy ETF's I linked earlier, lets see how it goes. TAN already up 3%+, nice recovery on TRIT but I'm still down 10% total Since I bought shares at 8.50 to balance out the ones at 13.70 I bought before the crash. I'm also treading water on my PINS 69$ put but not too worried about that one even if I'm assigned, PINS has been a steady mover. I also bought 100 shares of WPF.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Nice dude, congrats

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So it does have a match. And is managed Fidelity investments. Also offers traditional and roth options.
Hell yeah dude. What kind of gig did you land?

If your life/personal responsibilities allow it you're going to want to max your yearly contribution at $19.5k or as close to it as you can. This will lower your taxable income by however much you put in. If you're making above $75k, the roth should not be your priority. The employer match is not counted in the $19.5k you pay into it. It's bonus.

In terms of maximizing returns and reducing taxable income its HSA -> 401k -> IRA. In this order.

• 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
TJT TJT

I can max it easily. Got a job with a large finance place as a infosec architect. Pay is pretty good a lil lower than then contracting but it has an amazing culture.

My first one on one with my boss we talked about his new 300 blackout suppressed ar-15 pistol. He's former law enforcement turned infosec.

Whole team is red blooded white males. One dude is a competitive power lifter. Love it

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TJT TJT

I can max it easily. Got a job with a large finance place as a infosec architect. Pay is pretty good a lil lower than then contracting but it has an amazing culture.

My first one on one with my boss we talked about his new 300 blackout suppressed ar-15 pistol. He's former law enforcement turned infosec.

Whole team is red blooded white males. One dude is a competitive power lifter. Love it
If you have the ability to hit that annual max into your 401k that is a golden thing. All you need is a supermodel wife and you are living the American dream.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
TRIT up 27% counting after hours. One day after Quad Witching. Nah no manipulation going on here last week to make sure the big players' options didnt expire worthless.

1608605805012.png

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes check out the puts for ICLN, really good premiums even if you stay out of the money. I got the Jan 15 27$ strike at 1.70 a share, and the 26$ strike is 1.00, so still 1% gain per week assuming it stays flat for a whole month.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
TRIT up 27% counting after hours. One day after Quad Witching. Nah no manipulation going on here last week to make sure the big players' options didnt expire worthless.

View attachment 324669
I saw it drop from 11.50 to 10.70 in premarket in one swing before bouncing back up, so still a lot of fuckery/movement both ways with this one. Lets hope it at least stabilizes and keeps its gains today.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Picked up $1k worth of LAZR last week on that big dip at $25.25. Should be able to dump it around $38 this morning. Nice tidy little profit for doing nothing more than checking this thread once or twice a day.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Picked up $1k worth of LAZR last week on that big dip at $25.25. Should be able to dump it around $38 this morning. Nice tidy little profit for doing nothing more than checking this thread once or twice a day.
We live to serve.

• 2Worf
  • 1Trump